Saturday, July 21, 2018

My List for the Last Day of 1st Half of Summer

My mid summer do list from a few weeks back is mostly undone, but today I can get some major household progress. Oh, for those that thought number 10, cocktails and coffee on the deck were the only true essentials-nailed it! It's been mostly coffee and I am counting my deck off my hotel room in San Diego. As for number 9, there will be some bad pictures taken from my phone from the San Diego harbour, but pictures none the less. I even started reading on the plane a novel called, The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George. I hope to get fully immersed in it this weekend-after housecleaning that is.

It is our towns annual river town days, or as my old guy friends from high school refer to it, Livergone Days. DH likes them all well enough, but neither of us were up to meeting a group last night by the river to drink beer and listen to a band this crew love that covers 80's music from Journey to REO Speed Wagon. Perhaps tonight I'll go out and about. DD2 has to work at 4:00 until she is let off, depending on how busy they are. She is expecting to be packed with all the downtown traffic as they were last week with the twice monthly car show, but perhaps she will be able to meet up with friends for fireworks and a walk through the carnival if they release her by 10:00. She has to work tomorrow 12-5 as well, during the parade that will go right past the restaurant. We could hear the live band from the tent set up at the bar across the pond from our house pretty late. I don't mind the noise, though we have had wandering drunks in our neighborhood late at night, and once, I had to wake up someone crashed on our lawn. It was a sort of neighbor that  walked home, and must have forgotten where he lived, or just decided our tree made a nice tent for the night. 

Today then will be
  • laundry
  • refrigerator, pantry, and freezer clean out
  • meal planning
  • entry hall way, shelve and cupboards
  • bathrooms
If I manage anything else, that will be a banner day. DH's uncle and his cousin's daughter are at the lake this weekend from Florida, so he may head up there after work and stay until tomorrow night. This uncle recently lost his wife after a long illness. I liked her and  this uncle, but will not go along since DD2 can't come. They are heading out tomorrow early to visit his wife's family, so it would be a hurry time to get up there. We'll probably go visit at my mother-in-laws house in town the night before they leave instead. I'm getting better at not doing things on other peoples schedule-especially trying to not let DH's family decide how and when we'll spend limited free time. If that makes me difficult and odd to them, so be it.

To not confuse these pictures for river town, these are from San Diego below. No palm trees in Minnesota, at least not outdoors.














10 comments:

  1. Your to do list looks kind of like mine! A lot to do, basically. :-) I hope you all get a chance to relax & enjoy the time with friends & family this weekend, regardless of what that looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was moderately successful. Between the weather being perfect and a headache, I did a bit of lounging.

      Delete
  2. How nice to have annual 'river town days'!It means a chance of having fun, drinking beer, listening to music bands.
    Lovely photos with the water in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to carve out a few minutes for yourself this weekend :) It sounds like you've finally hit a wall with your H's family and don't care at this point what they think - there is a lot of freedom in that you know, and it is good for mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never feel like I missed out on anything, which is a sign that I don't need to be changing my timelines to participate in family stuff.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you figured a way to manage the stress that you feel with your in laws It is better for your quality of life to spend time with someone you care to be with.
    Wishing you a great 2nd half of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only get so many great days and better to enjoy the ones I have than feel stressed and on edge. DH may be tackling a persistent issue-it could improve, but I doubt any change would be long lasting. There is a selfishness and arrogance that even when crap behavior is called out, then acknowledged as crap, the attitude is, that it's just how they are-accept it. to me, that is toxic behavior, not how people treat people they supposedly value.

      Delete
  5. Last Saturday was Bastille Day (French national day) so the fireworks were going off on the Friday night and we had a few loud-mouthed drunks tootling through our village around 1-2 a.m. but it wasn't too bad. Then on Sunday France won the world cup so another "late night free-for-all" but again I can't say it was too bad really. I'm 3 km out of town - I once thought it would be nice to move into our little mediaeval town later but now I think not! Too noisy in the summer. And well done on setting your own schedule with the in-laws. In the end it's nobody's business but your own and if it helps you to limit your time with them then that's a win. That's a lovely picture of you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get less camera shy. A little selfie to prove I didn't haul up in the hotel room.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.