Monday, September 17, 2018

Apartment Hunting and Life Speed

DD1 starts her new job today. She may also have found a place to live in our town. It's been a challenge though. On Friday, less than 30 minutes before she was supposed to see a place, she got a call that the land lord couldn't make it. He didn't offer an alternative time, only said he'll have to reschedule between 2 and 5 some other time. Flaky. She didn't reschedule because just starting a new job, she didn't know if she could find a time between 2 and 5, week days only. Saturday we showed up to look at what she thinks will be her place, but there was a hitch here as well. It is the lower level of a big house that also has an apartment in the basement and one on the second floor. It is about 300 square feet bigger than what she currently has and the others she has and was still going to look at, located in a safe residential neighborhood near parks and convenient to the highway. Unfortunately, she has to schedule another tour because the guy from Renters Warehouse did not have the right keys. She only got to see the  basement laundry units (she'll have her own washer and dryer), the front porch, which she is already picturing as hers for reading books and relaxing, and then had to peer through windows! Unbelievable. She won't finalize until she actually sees the inside but pictures and window peeking's plus what she knows from the details puts it on top. She put in her application as she was worried it would show so well and someone might get to it before he rescheduled an inside showing.  

Two others we viewed Saturday were in the opposite direction of her job from our town, but equal distance to her job. One was incredibly overpriced, and we got the impression people move there for a short time when relocating until they buy a house. They had the most expensive application fee, extra administrative fees, and pretty poor amenities for the rent.The second in the same community was a contender, $275 less than the over priced, but still $200 more than the one she really wants. I know my daughter would be happier in something like the house apartment as well. Plus not to throw shade on other communities, our little town has a better community culture, less store front and big box feel, closer to parks and nature, and just more to her lifestyle. With the rent being lower and her salary increase, she conceivably could be putting away enough in just  a year that a sizable down payment on a home purchase of her own is a reality. I'll keep you posted.

DD2 met with her friends mom, one of the "mom's" I get together with, who will be doing the bulk of her senior pictures. Her session is next Saturday. I'm not sure what they decided but I trust that J will have some creative ideas and they will be fantastic. Today is also the mega photo, mass senior photo day. Life is just moving so fast for my kids right now. Speaking of moving fast, I better get myself pulled together and head to work. Nothing new for me, but I hope it is a good week. I've started on some recap posts from vacation. Maybe tomorrow will be part one. Have a great Monday. 


5 comments:

  1. I cannot count the number of times I helped my kids find apartments. Now we just have the one unmarried so I don't think those days are over. Good luck to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She got the house she want, pending an actual live visit. I'm very happy for her.

      Delete
  2. My son's just moved into his first shared house at uni. It's a nice place so fingers crossed.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This daughter will be 28 the end of October and has roommates from her first college experience, to grad school, to her first professional jobs. She has lived aloe in a two bedroom since March of 2016 so I can't imagine short of getting married, her ever wanting roommates again-especially us!

      Delete
  3. My kids always lived pretty far from us (Oregon and New York) so I never had to help with the apartment hunts. Of course we are talking about guys who have a less stringent wish list. I think a working bathroom and a bed are all they truly require.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.