Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Week Ahead in Meals

I did fairly well with my menu planning, a key component of my savings plan this month.  Here was the intent, but I have crossed off and inserted in red  any deviations.

  • Sunday-veggie curry and rice for DD2 and me, threeFive meatballs with brown gravy and rice for DH (which leaves me still with enough for two one meals with leftovers-he was hungry!)
  • Monday-Spaghetti and meat sauce meatballs,
  • Tuesday-Chicken Cordon Bleu, mashed potatoes, salad macaroni with a garlic sauce, steamed vegetables
  • Wednesday-leftovers as DD2 has show choir and vocal jazz, and I have something that night
  • Thursday-Meatloaf, baked potatoes, steamed vegetables salad and canned green beans
  • Friday-Pasta Fagiole soup, grilled cheese It was just too hot for soup. We all sort of did a fend for yourself, another leftover night
  • Saturday-Tacos or burritos with refried beans and riceI needed many things at Aldi's and picked up another gigantic $5.99 pizza which fed us all.
I spent more than I intended and bought more than I originally thought I would but we had no cold cereal and for some reason, DD2 is not into pancakes this year, and she's been eating as study snacks. With the hot weather, we were craving more fruit so I bought a lot of grapes and strawberries. We now sit at $288, with $62 left if I want to make the challenge of a $450 spend. If I don't, I'll know I will at east reduce my spending. Since we ate down so much in August, this really was an aspiration, if impractical, challenge. Still, I have to try and squeeze that turnip even harder. Meals for the week I think will be:

  • Sunday-Pork loin, potatoes, apple sauce
  • Monday-Pasta fagiole soup (making today, but still very warm so for tomorrow, plus for lunches
  • Tuesday- Veggie or pork fried rice
  • Wednesday-stuffed peppers + leftovers for DD2 to heat up before she starts running
  • Thursday-Spinach and cheese ravioli with red sauce
  • Friday-tacos, burritos with rice, beans, and cheese
  • Saturday-Red lentil Daal (for the girls) +Tuna hot dish, peas, corn

It will be a nothing fancy kind of week, but working on using up all the bits from previous meals and any spare vegetables get thrown in the soup. I'm hoping the soup and peppers stretch to a few lunches as I got sick of sandwiches last week. I ended up at Wendy's one day, more because of timing, but both spending wise and  the impact on my stomach, I regretted it within an hour! DD2 and I also stopped for Subway in between apartment viewings. With the heat and the time, we were both running on empty. We could have packed water and granola bars but I didn't think ahead. We didn't eat supper out, though DD1 had plans last night out and DD2 used her discount and brought her favorite pasta home after work. 

I'm sure there We'll need more milk, bread, eggs, and tortillas by Friday, but that should be it. We don't expect her to, but DD1 bought some specific things she eats that no one else does, and some desk provisions. She is her mother's daughter!  There's my plan. I'm looking forward to a cooler week when I'll be inspired for more sews, hot dishes, and soups. 

2 comments:

  1. Your menus sound good, Sam. I'm with you and looking forward to a cooler week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cold and rain front came in today. The soup sure was nice to have ready and just needed heating up. Simple hearty fall meals.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.