Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Are You a Sheep or a Ram?

I overheard a couple students talking the other day when I was at the high school for DD1's concert. It was just a quick exchange, but one yelled,laughing at the other, "stop being a sheep"to which the other responded, "well at least I'm not a ram."  Of course I've heard the sheep description of those people that just follow along others in life, rarely stepping outside of a predetermined path or thought process, content to let other take the lead. I had not heard someone described as a ram, but I get it, and understand how it could be the antithesis of being a sheep. A sheep follows the order of things, the ram crashes forward, regardless of what might be in their path, and what might fall or crumble around them. 

Of course in this politically charged world, we have people being accused of being sheep all the time-literally, left, right and center. Ironically, many of the "sheep" are following, no questions asked, a "ram' who has crashed through policy and procedure with little regard to any of the fall out when the boulders break apart. Rams just keep pushing through, so intent and sure of where they are heading, the repercussions are legitimized in their head. Sure, a few sheep will get conked on the head as they mindlessly follow, but acceptable collateral damage for the ram, who knows the best way, the only way forward. 

I'd like to think I'm neither. I can't think of another animal in this metaphor though. While I have used ram like tenacity to drive a point across, I feel like I can also listen to other perspectives, and together, reach more a consensus on direction. Sometimes, it is just easier and no harm in just being a sheep. There are some traditions, some ways of doing things that even if I think are not the best, I'll march along like a sheep because to disrupt the status quo is not worth my personal energy. 

I am thinking to much on these animal metaphors. I need to be careful of what my nosy ears over hear. But, what are your thoughts. Are you ore a ram or a sheep/ What animal would you suggest describes the more neutral approach to life?

12 comments:

  1. I don't mind thinking of myself as a sheep because I'm thinking more spiritually of Jesus as my shepherd. So the analogy doesn't scare me.
    politically, I'm the cautious sheep who likes to think for myself but uses my faith to guide me. I don't want to be a ram, but sometimes boldness is needed. If I HAD to choose a different animal, it could be a horse, who whinnies and runs as far away from danger as it can, for example a rattlesnake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the biblical context, it means something else, right. I'll have to think on the horse a bit. Maybe I'm more a donkey!

      Delete
  2. I would have said I'm a sheep sometime ago but the more I think about it I find I really haven't "followed along like a sheep" for the most part. However, no way am I a ram. I would never ride rough shod over other people. I guess I'm more of a plodder (hopefully like John Gray's British bulldog, Winnie). I don't let go of that bone but keep plodding on relentlessly until I get where I need to be or achieve what needs to be done. So I guess more of a tortoise than a hare! I seem to be manning the barricades lately though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't think of an animal that is a forceful, but collaborator type of critter.

      Delete
  3. I am both at times. Depends on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am generally not a sheep, but I am not a ram either. I am more like an orangutan. I am happy in small social groups but I pretty much do and think what I want, within acceptable social structures. (i.e. even if I wanted to I would not go to a funeral wearing a purple tutu and a clown nose just because of certain social codes. Unless it was a clown's funeral, and then all bets are off)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Societal norms and not trying to offend people are in my boundary scope as well.

      Delete
  5. We are, none of us, either sheep or rams, or anything other than human beings. As such, we are dynamic, complex, and always learning. Sure, some people behave badly, and do so consistently, and those are the people we should avoid like the plague. Labelling people, even ourselves, even when done in jest, limits us as humans, it demeans us, reducing us to the label. Kids don't understand that yet, which is why you overheard them making such cavalier remarks. As adults, I feel we should endeavor to avoid that type of talk.
    That said, I always try to follow societal norms/standards of etiquette. They are in place to make life more pleasant for both us, and those around us. I do it out of consideration for my fellow man, even if those fellow men are my kids, who, at the time, are not choosing to give me the same consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK then. Sometimes it is good for conversation sake to think beyond just our human condition. While I agree humans are not perfect and creating negative or even positive stereotypes is not useful or healthy, using analogies to behaviors works for me to discuss approaches and may get people involved in the conversation without taking things personally. I think these kids (the ones I overheard) may have been wiser and able to distinguish the human condition more than adults might give them credit for.

      Delete
  6. Funny story re the Biblical term sheep: When my hubby and his sister were little, his sister was memorizing that scripture. She said,"The Lord is our shepherd and we are His goats". Unfortunately, sometimes we act like goats more than sheep. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.