Thursday, October 18, 2018

Thrifty Thursday

This massive grant project at work is kicking my but, so the fact that I haven't gone on a massive splurge of take out coffees, chocolate bars, and pizza every day for lunch might be as thrifty as I get this week. I did stop on route yesterday for a large, I mean laaaarge, coffee, and I may do so again today. No self judgment. I'm looking around this morning and having a good think. Here is a smidge of thriftiness.

  • While picking apples and pumpkins is not inexpensive, spending $42.40 on apples, cider, and a 31 pound  future jack-o-lantern, we bought directly from a local farm. Supporting the local farm economy, saving some of that produce from having to be shipped elsewhere, and knowing the source, is a bargain to me. 
  • That said, we didn't over pick more than could be used, splitting varieties with my older daughter. (she spent $23 on her own pumpkin, cider, and apples that were not self picked and we shared)
  • Other entertainment for the weekend was low cost Netflix movies, Sunday football, walks, and dinners made at home.
  • Skipped take out last night, even though I really didn't feel like cooking, but found frozen burgers and french fries in the freezer. I am counting as a thrifty win, as I didn't really cook-just through the burgers in with the french fries after seasoning them, and dinner was ready in 25 minutes, no take out prices.
  • While I need a pair or two of new tights, I haven't yet had the time to shop. I made do with what I had, wearing boots, or long enough dresses to cover where there was considerable wear. Maybe not thrift, maybe even  slovenly, but it saved me from buying cheap pairs from Target until I can source some better quality ones at the same price.

Well that was a stretch to get to five. I packed lunch everyday this week and  made homemade muffins from frozen bananas past their eating prime. I tried to economize trips and make stops on my way to or from work. We bought store brand or used up what we had o hand for the bake sale products DD2 made. These were all part of the thrift that is becoming routine again. I'm still doing the usual to keep funds under control a bit. How was your week? Any wins to brag about?

4 comments:

  1. You slob you. You actually went out with worn tights? Didn't your mother raise you better? What if you had been in an accident? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how to rate this one in terms of thrift: I was required to head to a showroom to pick out the appliances for our new home on Thursday. I needed to pick out a range, hood, dishwasher and refrigerator. So, yes, it was expensive, BUT, I DIDN'T let them convince me to buy a very expensive, big name, range, no matter how many people kept telling me it would increase the resale value of my house. I am the one who is going to be cooking (a lot on it) and I knew exactly what I wanted. I went in there knowing I wanted slide in, dual fuel range in stainless steel. I knew it would potentially one particular brand name I have had great luck with in the past. Sure, the Thermador and Viking ranges were beckoning, they do look great! But, when all was said and done, the range I picked was a lot less expensive, but exactly what I wanted. As for the refrigerator, again, stainless steel, and I knew wanted a full width refrigerator, from a reliable brand. Interior or exterior water dispenser, Keurig in the door, table, wi-fi options were not even considered. In about two minutes, I picked out a clearance model which had exactly what I wanted--same with the dishwasher. I am exhausted from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing what we want and not letting flashing lights amd dinging bells lure us away is a great thrifty trait.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.