Saturday, October 13, 2018

Two Movies on a Friday Night

I've got a love for all things quintessential British. If anything ever ticked that box would be Paddington Bear. I can't say I really grew up with the stories, but knew of them and how cute the little guy was. Occasionally I found copies in the library to read to my own kids, but he wasn't a regular household US children's book character. Still, a year ago browsing clearance on line, I found two small stuffed Paddington Bears and had to have them, one given to my daughter who studied in London, and the other for myself to share with future grandkids. I couldn't pass the by at $2.00. It seems they were run with a book as part of Kohl's charitable campaign where they sell a toy or a book for $5.00. The fact that there were any bears left was a evident Paddington hadn't really caught on here. I digress. 


A few weeks ago when I babysat for my niece and her friend, the kids briefly put on Paddington before they decided playing with Legos would be more fun. Of the 20 minutes I saw, I was delighted. Last night I decided to have a quiet movie and pizza and wine night. We've now gotten in the habit of the cheap Aldi's take and bake pizzas on Friday, a routine that does not break the bank. Anyway, I scrolled and saw Paddington was on Netflix, so I decided to finish the movie. Oh my, did I enjoy it! I laughed so hard in multiple places, like when the kind, but naïve bear, was trying to return what he thought was a mans wallet to a pick pocket. I don't care what your age is and whether or not you have young kids or grandchildren to enjoy with, this movie is so adorable and funny, I recommend for anyone. There are screen shots galore with various UK celebrities having small cameo  roles so it is fun to spot them throughout. The actors who play the Brown family are wonderful-just the right smaltz to portray each of their personalities well. There is a Paddington 2, and I will need to see that when it comes to Netfliz or Amazon.

The second movie I watched was called London Town. This little unknown gem, set in the late 70's, was about 15 year old Shay, a boy who helps his dad run a music/repair shop and take care of his little sister, in a London suburb. Abandoned by their mom who left them all to make it big as a singer in the big city, Shay is forced to step up even more after an accident that puts his dad in the hospital. Trained in classical music, insisted upon by his dad, he is drawn to the new rock/punk music. Through chance, he meets the lead singer of the Clash, prior to the band making it big. I loved the music, bringing back memories of my high school and early college years, because by then, the Clash was now heard everywhere in the US as well. I guess you could kind of call this a coming of age movie at a time when music was changing. There's a few slams to disco, and hints as to what would be coming in the world politically. 

If you've seen either of these, did you enjoy them? What have you watched lately? Comment and share your recommendations for my next Friday pizza and wine night. 

15 comments:

  1. I saw Paddington and enjoyed it too, although I think Colin Firth was originally tagged to do the audio for Paddington but then they changed their mind. I haven't heard of the other one though (I must get on Netflix - I can share my son's set up for free). I happen to love Winnie the Pooh personally, just something about the whole Pooh/Tigger/Eeyore set up that I loved. My lovely ex partner (Dutchman) could be such a downer sometimes that I used to call him Eeyore - suited him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Ben Whitshaw, a fine younger British actor from London Spy if you saw that. His voice was pretty perfect for Paddington in my opinion, though I love Colin Firth.

      Delete
  2. Paddington Bear was not anything I read to my kids in 60s or early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to source books to have on hand for someday.

      Delete
  3. I love paddington bear and so did mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so loveable and sweet. I love the "hard stare."

      Delete
  4. A 2 buck bear is hard to lay off of. I read Paddington to Son3. The older 2 were more Curious George guys. I heard the movie was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious George is still a favorite-was of my oldest. He selected Jack Johnson tracks, including the Curious George theme, for his graduation photo video.

      Delete
  5. I read the original two "Paddington" books in 4th grade or so, when older sister handed them down to me. This was in the mid 70's. My mother, seeing that I enjoyed them, handed me something even better: "Olga da Polga," by the same author. Now THAT was a great book. I had forgotten about it until DD got some Guinea pigs about three years ago. On a whim, I got the book for her, and she, too, was hooked.
    I generally dislike books once syndication/commercialization takes over. I think the exception to this is the "Harry Potter" series.
    Like you, I too am an Anglophile. I particularly love all things Tudor. I would suggest the series "The Tudors." Passing over several glaring historical inaccuracies, and some ridiculous costumes, I really enjoyed it. On my second viewing of the series, I made a game of fact checking as I watched.
    Another great movie is "Sing Street." DD and I loved it. I don't think it's on Netflix anymore, though. Finally, eldest DS and I really enjoyed "Into the White" with Rupert Grint, and "A Young Doctor's Notebook." While Russian, not British, the latter does star Daniel Radcliffe. For comedy, nothing beats "The Vicar of Dibley."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendations. I saw "Into the White"-it was very good, and I can't agree more with the Vicar of Dibley. Dawn French is phenomenal!

      Delete
    2. Oh the Vicar of Dibley - just brilliant! I love Alice - the dim witted verger! I know you also like Doc Martin right! Officer Penhale for President!

      Delete
    3. Doc Martin is another favorite! Alice is so sweet though despite being dumber than rocks.

      Delete
  6. Oh Paddington, such memories. I read the original two books when I was about 10. Loved them. I didn't want to see the movie because I was afraid the movie would spoil the book memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not. I always try to seperate a well loved book when the movie is made.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you. There are not enough wholesome movies that are genuinely funny. I appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.