Monday, November 19, 2018

Thankful and Productive Holiday Week

With it being a short week, just three work days and then a four day weekend, I've decided to be super productive and organized. Let's see how that pans out, as I am a queen of procrastination and over selling to myself what I'll actually get done. I shared my minimal prep I need to do for Thanksgiving-thank you to our wonderful hosts for taking that burden. I'll do all that on Thursday morning so I don't have to rearrange the refrigerator. Speaking of the refrigerator and I'll throw in the freezer for that matter, both need a top to bottom clean out. I'm hoping I'll find more surprises that can supplement the menu for the rest of the month. While Monday and Tuesday are packed full for my work schedule, Wednesday I think I'll be one of perhaps 40 of 400 working a full day as most take it off in full or part. I plan to use it to organize my desk files, computer files, and prep for the meetings the following week, meaning I won't even need to think about what's waiting for me on the 26th, really enjoying the four day weekend.

By the end of Thanksgiving, I'll know my complete Christmas giving list. I had already made a draft so I could fill in items I have previously purchased. In the olden days of our marriage, DH and I would take a day off together, get all our shopping done before the end of the first week of December. Why we lost that plan in the past 10 years is beyond me, but I think it is time to revisit it. This long weekend is a perfect one for accomplishing things, setting the stage to really enjoy December. The bonus with Thanksgiving being so early in the month, there is a whole week more before the calendar changes. My plans for the weekend include both things I am Thankful for and things I hope to be productive at.

  • Monday: I'll be productive tonight when DD2 is at show choir addressing Christmas cards. This will include looking up addresses for folks I know have moved or those I never seem to get put into the address file. I'm thankful for DH's aunt who updates his family directory a few times a year which saves me a lot of time. 
  • Tuesday: I'll stop and get stamps on the way home, getting the cards ready to pop in the mail next week. That's a task done ahead of time. I'm thankful the grocery stores sell stamps and will even weigh packages for the right postage as I'm in town too late for the post office. I'll stay ahead of laundry this week too-I don't want to leave it until Friday and Saturday, other than what needs washing. My daughter is having Friendsgiving on Wednesday and she asked me to help her make the green bean hot dish. I found that funny because it is open cans and dump, but I suppose she hasn't actually made it herself.
  • Wednesday: My daughter decided to run on Thursday morning after all, so I'll pick up her race number and shirt on my way home. She will not be in town during the open hours for pick-up.The plan is to meet up with friends for drink-perhaps at the brewery. It will be an early night and supper before we meet them. I'm thankful for good friends that are also not night owls! I'll get to bed early so I can be up early prepping my side dishes. 
  • Thursday: I love Thanksgiving, and will be up early with coffee in hand, and a batch of muffins baking, remembering this time to throw the extras in the freezer. The day will be spent with family on both sides and I absolutely will not be going shopping. 
  • Friday: I hope to get the bulk of my shopping done today, though you won't see me at the crazy early morning sales. I'll look for items in the ads and perhaps head out later, but most will be done on-line. I'm thankful for both bricks and mortar stores, and online options that help me be productive. I'll start hauling in the Christmas decorations form the garage, letting them thaw a bit. DH will help me set up the tree, but we'll probably decorate on  Saturday.
  • Saturday: Normally I might start Christmas baking but because Thanksgiving is early in the month, I'll hold off. I will though start wrapping presents and put them under the tree once it is up. The girls and I will go to the holiday hoopla, and hopefully I can convince DH to come down for the parade and lighting. I am thankful for one more Saturday before Christmas to be productive. I'm happy I live in a town that has regained the spirit of Christmas in recent years. 
  • Sunday: All the boxes and tubs will be hauled back out to the garage, I'll clean up and tidy after my mess making. We have tickets to see a play version of It's a Wonderful Life by the community theater, with dinner at a supper club with members of  my extended family. It is also my birthday, though the dinner is not for that, but part of a tradition we've tried to carry on for my mom's and sisters birthdays in November, which can be a sad time. 

Well, that was much longer and duller than I intended. If I accomplish the productive things and remember to be thankful for all my gifts, it will be a successful holiday week. What's going on in your house this week? 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty busy week - but lots of fun planned so hopefully won't be stressful. I'm over halfway done Christmas shopping. We put up the outside Christmas lights yesterday and wreath on the door. Since our Thanksgiving in Canada was early October (every year 2nd Monday in October) we generally hold off decorating until the last week of November. I have wanted a real tree for many years but have been put off by not being able to decorate until close to Christmas - this year is the year though, so I will decorate the rest of the house (mantle, Bedroom) until then. Baking will start the first week of December as I really don't have a lot of room in my freezer. Do you do a lot of baking? If so please share what cookies you make :) Trying to get some new ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big list but in chunks doable. I bake a couple cookies but wherr I really dive into is more candy type treats like oreo and peanut butter truffles, Mounds bars, and peppermint patties. My daughter is letting me use her freezer this year.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's quite a list of things to get done. I didn't realize there was a bigger gap between T-giving and X-mas this year. That's a good thing because I'm not prepared at all. Actually, I did already buy gifts for my co-workers so that's good. I have a plan to put lights on the big palm tree that's in my kitchen bay window and call it our holiday tree for this year. I'm thinking of doing some massive cookie baking. I already hit the Dollar Tree and bought a bunch of those cookie gift boxes because they usually get sold out quickly. that's all I've got planned so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some cookie boxes on ckearance last year. I also bring in a massive plate of treats for the division.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.