Saturday, August 19, 2023

Things I've Tackled, Funny

      Another week has passed- August is over half way done. My days blur into weeks, weeks into to months. I'm trying to live life, folks, though trying to live with joy is still a challenge. I, who normally love summer, can't wait for August to be done. I press on trying to both keep up on the have to's of life, and the wish list/home project list/life improvement list. You all are so kind pointing out that I am doing a lot. I guess I have. Here's what's been accomplished in the last few weeks. 

  • Cooked a few meals with assorted items on hand. I've got to get this budget under control and spending more on groceries when I've got hidden treasures is counterproductive to this ( Might even be inspired to add a good/ recipe post). I'm trying to plan meals and leftovers and not over shop, using up items completely. 
  • And...booked, but spent a small fortune on airfare for the cruise in February. However I  leveraged a credit card offer to save $200 eventually, that will pay me back within the next few months
  • Speaking of credit cards, I stopped using the card DH and I had in common.  I've opened one in just my name that will give me a $200 cash back credit, plus earns more per dollar. I'll cash in the points on the old one, applying them to the final payment. I pay off cards always before any interest is accrued. 
  • Took car to get oil changed, basic maintenances, and Anti Lock brake system issue resolved. Ugh, more unplanned expenses but a safe car, and once the other car is sorted, I can sell it for a fair price. 
  • Replaced batteries in thermostat. It was something accomplished I've not done before.
  • More items cleared from laundry room, trash items binned, items for my daughter's new apartment put in a box
  • Got legal paperwork notarized and more documents sent to bank to get DH's car loan released. 
  • I observed for now, but wrote checks and achieved the completion of the patio. It still needs curing time and I'm being cautious for a full 10 days, so by next weekend I can set furniture up. Then, on to tackling the yard cleanup and minimal landscaping. By that I mean, getting the pine brush and needles cleared, finish fire pit area, and prep rest of yard for grass seeding. That will involve spread bags of soil in uneven area. 
  • I ordered two of these planter boxes to line the side the stairs are on, either in a line, or create a right angle in the corner. I might fill with hostas next spring so they are not labor intensive, but for late summer and fall, perhaps pop a few planters of mum's for a color splash. 

  • Talked with neighbor who's a handyman to come look and propose a solution to the bare siding issue. He came over to look, and will design something to do in a couple weeks when concrete is set. 
  • More buckets of rocks moved to where they can be better used. It's a hot and heavy job and there's so many!!! I guess the rest of summer and fall, I'll focus on the outside of the house. 
     I managed to work all days scheduled and keep the balls in the air even when whacked with more sucker punches from DH's accounts. Remember, I tell myself, "you're not a weak ass bitch."

Dinners this week:
  • Saturday: Leftovers steak sandwich from dinner out night before 
  • Sunday: vegetables au Gratin, zucchini fritter 
  • Monday: Repeat 
  • Tuesday: Grilled cheese, veg au gratin
  • Wednesday: Gyro sandwich, from single kit
  • Thursday: Creamy spicy Pasta primavera 
  • Friday : Repeat 
     The other fritters were lunches, along with cucumbers and hummus, toast, yogurt, fruit,and cottage cheese. More on these food items in a post to come. As I eluded above, I'm nickel and diming my grocery budget to hopefully pad the cash flow a touch so I can do a little splurging on things to improve the home, like the planter boxes. I'm obviously not going hungry. 

     I want to still enjoy things, or enjoy things again. I find the television show Ghosts mildly amusing. I had heard it is a spin from an original BBC series and my daughter found that version on HBO Max. We got hooked. The first episode helped us adapt to cultural differences, and by episode 3 we found ourselves laughing out loud. Each British ghost seems to have an American counterpart, but the writing and how it's placed in context of the houses timeline is just more creative and funny with British Ghosts. There's also less filters with the humour, so more authentic. We can only get 3 seasons but fingers crossed we'll get all five eventually. Sometimes I just need a really good belly laugh. It's been a while. I'll still enjoy the American one, but it's just not as funny. With the writers strike, who knows when season 2 might start. 

     My daughter has made quite a few more purchases for her home, including her own outdoor furniture, artwork, and an alternative type yoga mat. Grandpup has decided it's a good stretch out lounger for himself.

     One day after a particularly windy storm, I collected a bunch of sticks from her yard and tossed in her fire pit. No sense accidentally running over with the mower. He proceeded to pull them out and run around happy as could be with them in his mouth. He's not short on personality. Needless to say, one of her purchases was a fire pit cover. 

      I took one of those Facebook Quizzes. Apparently if I was a character in Game of Thrones, I'd be a Targaryen. 
HOUSE TARGARYENYour quiz results determined that you belong to House Targaryen! You have earned the rare honor of flying under the Dragon’s banner while the Mother of Dragons soars alongside you on a fire-breathing beast! You are bold, passionate, determined, and sometimes unpredictable. People admire your strength and resilience but also have a tendency to fear your temper. Just like Daenerys, you are fiercely protective over the things you love and have a compassionate soul that wishes to help others. Keep on standing up for yourself and others, never backing down or lowering your voice just because someone said that you should!

     If you're a GoT fan, what's your take on that? I do have Welsh blood, so the dragon may be spot on. The smoke and haze has been horrible, but we've had some pretty sunsets as I caught before pulling the shades down for the night. Talk with you all soon. 



38 comments:

  1. You're anything but a "weak ass bitch" from where I'm standing! You're actually amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Treaders. You're always filled with uplifting sentiment.

      Delete
  2. Love zucchini fritters. I make them pancake style covering the bottom of my skillet. Top with a few easy over eggs and maybe extra cheese, for breakfast!

    You're doing great. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter brought more so another batch tonight I think.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very accomplished week. Your meals sound tasty to me. I am doing lots of veggie meals lately - love summer for that.
    Hope the house siding is an easy fix - should be. Like the planters.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the solution will be hard, but everything is expensive.

      Delete
  4. I’ve never watched Game of Thrones but I believe it’s in your nature to be a helper, and you have shown strength, resilience, and advocacy so I’d say it’s a good assessment ;) I’m not a big TV watcher, it’s mostly background noise here but I’ve had two shows recommended to me lately-Manifest and The Bear. Both people swear I will love them. We’ll see. It’s a crisp morning with a warm afternoon predicted, just the kind of late summer weather that people love but fills me with dread. It gives me the back to school ick and I just know it’s going to be dark and winter before we know it. I’ve got to get back to meal planning this week. It’s going to be difficult to make less food and still have variety, especially with a picky husband. I’d have cheezits and a glass of wine if I could, Girl Dinner at its finest. Grandpup is adorable as always! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten into a bad TV watching habit. On really hot days or when I can't sleep.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the outside of the house is really coming along! Can't wait to see an after pic.

    It's been hot here, and I've been having a lot of APAC meetings, so I've been super uninspired for dinners, even when dinners are heating up leftovers. I'm trying to think of something creative for tonight, which involves basically no cooking & is tasty enough to impress M. We'll see. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a several weeks/ month project plus time for grass next spring. I appreciate Leftovers!

      Delete
  6. Sorry it's been several weeks since I touched base Sam. You sound like you've been incredibly busy. Glad to hear Ghosts is working its comical magicxx Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait to see your patio. I think you are wise to concentrate on the outside of the house since winter won't be fun to work outdoors. I like the boxes. Hosta love a pot as long as they have shade. Well, my Hosta were shade Hosta.
    You sound like a good T. I am not familiar with that show. Tommy loves Ghost, but it took me a bit to get into it. It is not very funny to me. I have to have good belly laughs, too. Since Third Rock from the Sun is on late at night, I get my big laughs there. Try Monday nights on TBS--Miracle Workers at 9 pm and 9:30 pm. I lose my breath laughing. It is bizarre and funny. Imagine people living in a garbage dump with HOA.
    One day, someone asked me if she could have my pine straw. Maybe you can find someone who wants to take yours and save yourself raking it. They sell that in bales at Lowe's.
    You are forging your own path and doing well, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just deal myself. I don't need additional strangers poking in my back Yard. I'll figure out the planters. They need assembly first.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have been really busy. You are a strong woman, and you have accomplished so much. I haven't watched game of thrones, but the quiz description seems to fit you. I have watched some of the American ghosts show, and I liked it so I'll have to check out the British ghosts. So glad that you are beginning to enjoy things and laugh again. Your patio will be so nice, and I love the planters. Grandpup sounds like a lot of fun. The sunset pic is beautiful. Wishing you a good week, and I'm glad that you have the cruise to look forward to this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like American Ghosts, I think you'll love the British version. It's just better written and less pushed.

      Delete
  9. Seems to me like you're coping remarkably well. It's also admirable the way you document everything, including how hard it is sometimes. Nobody should be expected to bravely pick themselves up and carry on as normal after a bereavement, there's nothing noble about grieving the loss of your life partner. You cope however you cope. Well done Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel lost most days, but I guess I'm hanging on.

      Delete
  10. New to your blog and really enjoying the once-a-week posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right, British Ghosts is hilarious, I am also enjoying What We Do In The Shadows, maybe you could give that a try if you can find it.... You are doing amazingly well, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. That will bring it's own new challenges.

      Delete
  13. You have accomplished a lot lately! It is hard to work full time and carve out time to get household things done. Trust me, I know. I love the planter boxes that you picked. They are going to look great. Pup pulling out the sticks cracked me up. Sometimes our fur friends know just when we need a laugh. Have a great week Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is in serious need of a top to bottom clean.

      Delete
  14. You are much in my thoughts
    These are such difficult days . Finding it hard to summon the energy to do very much .
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a hard week. August a hard month.

      Delete
  15. You've achieved so much, well done! I love those planters and your daughter's dog is such a handsome pooch.
    I've not seen Ghosts on the BBC but lots of my friends rave about it. The US version was advertised last night, I think it starts her next week.
    Keep up the good work. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so sweet. We have some bad habits that need training out of him, but he's still sweet. Ghosts is just quirky and it's funny when just she sees them, but life is all around.

      Delete
  16. Sam - check out "cindimatography2". 😆🙌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a new blog? Your post comes up anonymous. I'm not sure what reader you are.

      Delete
  17. Yes - she disappeared & started this new one. You had been asking before if anyone knew what happened to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been asking a long while back. I haven't been very zoned in on who has stopped blogging. I guess that means she's doing ok.

      Delete
  18. I thought I'd commented on your post, but apparently not! I've been thinking of you. I hope this new month is a little easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been following your blog for some time. I lost my husband on august 22. Everything has been a blur since then. I grieve for what I no longer have. He was 81 I am 72. We had been together for 24 years.
    Does the pain get easier as time goes on? I feel like I’m not going to be able to live and function ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry. It does not matter the ages or how long- we want more days with them. We were together 37 years, married,35. It was practically my whole adult life. You will function again, but I can't say it's easier yet.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.