Thursday, November 29, 2018

Thrifty Thursday-Holiday Season Kick-Off Edition

Thanksgiving is done and now I'm in full on holiday mode. Holiday mode and frugal do not coincide very well, but thrifty-I can do that, spending the least I can to enjoy my life and be a gracious giver. I won't regale you with all my gift shopping results, we all are trying to maximize our gift giving budget. As I I find a few better examples of thriftiness I'll be sure to share over the coming weeks. 

  • While I didn't host, I had leftovers from what I brought, plus was sent home with some turkey from my sisters. I made full use of all leftovers in suppers and lunches. 
  • While out shopping, DD1 and I stopped in the Goodwill store. We both thought about getting an "Ugly" Christmas sweater. While most were 50% off, they still would have ranged from $4-$7. I remembered why I didn't have any-I don't like wearing them even for fun, and years ago got rid of the ones I had lingering in my closet. I do have a couple Christmasy t-shirts and a red sweater that will have to suffice if tan event calls for one. We both saved the money and the clutter. 
  • I had a very hectic Tuesday and lunch was on the run. I saved $1 on a Subway wrap, and had lunch for two days. It was a little soggy yesterday, but it still tasted good, eaten along the last of my thanksgiving squash. 
  • I cancelled one night of our hotel and we will only stay Thursday, leaving after the concert Friday night. Sure, we will now get home about 2:00 a.m., but the alternative would have been to have to get up and be on the road before 6:00 as we had to be back in town by 10:00 anyway. It will save nearly $100. 
  • Though it was tempting to order pizza Saturday night at the brewery while enjoying a beer, as DD2 was doing a volunteer shift, we came home and just made brats from the freezer. DH wanted to go out for breakfast on Sunday, but since we were going later after the play, he ended up making waffles and was just as pleased. It was not a low budget eating out month as I had intended, but we curbed it in a couple places. 

I have snacks for the road tonight and will make a few sandwiches. It will be nearly 9:00 when we get to the college town, so late for a full meal anyway. We'll have breakfast at the hotel and lunch tomorrow is provided. the rest of the weekend is for Christmas decorating and prep. I'm looking to not spend anything other than on groceries and will be light on freezer stuff as I want to start baking. I may not do any Christmas shopping, saving the few gifts I still need to buy for a weeknight when I am near shopping centers after work rather than a special trip out. Any points of thrift or sort of thrift in your life this past week? 

11 comments:

  1. We called & tracked down a few rebates, discounts & refunds, which is never fun but useful if you can invest the time. I also paid for a summer camp that had 10% off if you booked by the end of the year.

    I've also been doing my freezer challenge, which has been useful to use things up, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided little things are probably the cause of cummulative waste so certainly equally important to savings. 10% is a hefty camp savings.

      Delete
  2. Rite-Aid loot is always thrifty for me here.lol
    I also picked up some clearance priced($1 or less)pumpkin/maple flavored food items for the pantry...this definitely put me over my November $400 food budget but I can deal with being over-we have the extra cash for it and it will save me in the future when I need things like this as I won't have to pay full retail for them.

    I know you do a fair amount of Target shopping so are you planning on picking up Target gift cards during their 10% off annual sale on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'll be hitting Target. Money in my pocket!

      Delete
  3. I hit Rite Aid on Thanksgiving, and fully stocked my bottled water supply. I should have enough to last me the rest of the school year. I also purchased gift cards with Bonus Cash for the kids. I typically don't like to give gift cards (or receive them) but the kids love them. It's better than letting them roam around with cash.
    I would never attend an "Ugly Christmas Sweater" party. I may sound like Scrooge, but I really despise events like that. I find them tackier than the sweaters they are making fun of. I don't like gag gifts either.
    Today, I am going to start making homemade peanut butter cups for gifts. I have all the ingredients, and the tins to package them, so a very cost minimal gift. I am also in the process of feeding my fruitcakes--that involves a good brushing with a nice rum. I think one for the family should be ready for Sunday lunch this week. Fruitcake is not an inexpensive gift, so I may keep both of them for us, since we all like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tacky is a state of mind, lol. It's usually an office day, but I'll make do with what I have. You may ne the only person I've heard that really likes fruit cake, but then I've only had pretty terrible versions. Enjoy yours I say.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to travel and save money but you do the best you can. Good luck on the college trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The additional scholarships she could earn would be $24,000 more over 4 years so worth the ine night stay, time, 2 tanks if gas and dinner. Wish her luck.

      Delete
  5. I think you were right to cancel that extra night in the hotel. The choice between getting home at 2 a.m. or getting up the next day to be on the road at 6 a.m. is a no-brainer for me - and in any case I prefer sleeping in my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to convince hubs to let me drive gome though.

      Delete
  6. I don't think the sweaters are tacky, actually. I actually like a lot of Christmas sweaters. What I think is tacky is encouraging the purchase of something for derision. It strikes me as wasteful. As far as fruitcake, mine is more fruit, rum and butter than cake. It cuts like butter! I was surprised that my kids liked it, but they do. I had never really enjoyed fruitcake either, until I tried one made properly--baked with the proper spices (no ginger, ever) at least 6 weeks before serving, and heavily fed during the aging at least twice a week with a good rum. (I used to swear by Myers, but this year, I noticed they changed their bottle from glass to plastic.) I am sorry fruitcake gets a bad rap. It's certainly not a cloying, sweet dessert, that's for sure!

    Hey, it's FRIDAY!!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.