Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Mmmm French Toast

I don't know if French Toast is actually French or if just  the style of dunking bread in a milk and egg mixture and frying is French, but we love it in our house. My daughter is particularly fond of French toast sticks, dipped in syrup. They are not too expensive, getting 20 good sticks perhaps 5 slices of thick bread worth, if on sale for $2.50 She'll eat 6-8 of them so they only last three breakfasts. They also take up a lot of space in the freezer-too much packaging. While around 80 cents isn't bad, I bet they are pretty processed. For the same or less, and perhaps 8 minutes of effort, I can make a quick French toast using items I pretty much always have in the house.

 In trying to keep my family enthused during my grocery challenges, I try starting her off at least a couple days with a breakfast favorite. Rather than French Toast sticks, I've been making French toast. My recipe is an egg, 1/4 cup of milk and about a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of sugar, which I have measured in a shaker for topping as well. These are approximates-I never measure, just pour and shake. Using Aldi's soft wheat bread, I dip both sides, wait a couple seconds then fry on both sides until cooked, but still soft. It takes about a minute per side. As I make one at a time as that is the size of my small griddle pan, I pop the three I get out of the mix into the microwave for 10 seconds or so, to make sure the eggy part has fully cooked, and rewarm the first two. She either cuts in strips for dipping or covers in syrup. 

Sometimes I'll make multiples to keep for extra days. They reheat well in a toaster. Usually though I'm doing super quick in the morning while she is in the shower. She does cereal or instant oatmeal most days, but some days she just has such a long day, having a bit more substance makes me feel better, though I know she appreciates the effort. I should have taken a picture of my little pan, but instead, just have this old stock photo. What do you like to make for extra umph in the mornings? For my British readers, is this what eggy bread is, or is that something else? I'm always on the look out for new ideas.  

10 comments:

  1. French toast lovers here too! I have a leftover loaf of homemade bread my MIL made from Thanksgiving....hmmmmm......I think I know what I'm going to be prepping this afternoon for the rest of the week's breakfasts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think ahead, but fresh is so delicious.

      Delete
  2. I call it French toast too (I guess I would since I live in France right!!) and used to make it when my kids were little, although they liked it quite "burnt". One liked it with maple syrup and the other with icing sugar. When they were little I probably made 3 slices between them. Then one day my neighbour asked if I could look after her (teenage) kids for the weekend. I was thinking 2-3 slices each for breakfast - the boy stopped at 8 and the girl at 7!!! Crikey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter isn't a huge eater but she polishes off three quite easily. That is a lot of bread!

      Delete
  3. We love French toast also. TheHub gets a lot of gift baskets from people they do business with at work. last year one had a panettone, and another had babka. We ate a couple of slices of each but were not crazy about them, until new DIL2 suggested we try french toast made with them. Oh my goodness, it was spectacular, crispy cooked in butter sweet bread with a dusting of confectioners sugar. I cut the remaining breads in slices, froze them and we had the wonderful French toast several times last winter. Now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about making it with apple fritter bread-same concept . Extra decadence.

      Delete
  4. I love french toast. We also make something similar where you cut a small whole in the breach and put a whole egg there and then flip it. Turns out like french toast with an egg in the middle. Works best for those who like their eggs a bit runny. The kids used to love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my younger dsughterd specialty after she learned how to cook it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sam,
    I'm apologising because Blogspot hasn't let me post for a few days and I'm concerned that I might inadvertently have offended someone and been banned.
    Anyway, it was eggy bread in my mother's kitchen and I have to say that I had the privilege - thanks to the "evil" European Union and its "evil" Erasamus* programme, ahem - to spend two years in France during my University years and I never ate anything similar to French/eggy at that time. But .I think you'll like Jamie Oliver on eggy bread:

    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/eggy-bread/

    * The EU paid for two years of my university education and I'm devastated that this opportunity has been taken away from my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following the Brexit negotiations. It seems life will change dramatically.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.