Sunday, December 16, 2018

Meals for The Week-Mom's AWOL Edition

Good Sunday morning all. I am up with a massive headache, took something, laid back down, and still haven't knocked it out. After the beautiful concert, of which I have little to no video because of dead batteries-despite having looked-we met friends at a pub. I should have just got a beer, but thought with the pretty lights and the live music playing, a glass of wine would be a nice change. Either it was old house, or a super cheap (as in cheap not inexpensive) Sauvignon Blanc, the tannins left me feeling dehydrated already by the time we were home. Pubs and wine-not always the best fit. It is just a nagging pain-not pre-migraine, so I'm sure as my body rehydrates, I'll feel better. I need to as I have  a huge to do list and an exceptionally busy week ahead.

First is to figure out what we are going to eat this week for meals. I am going to ELF, the Musical with four friends on Tuesday and have a work get together on Thursday. I want to spend as little as possible and use up what is lingering in the refrigerator and freezer before doing a big shop Friday for Christmas week. Still, we need many things to round out any sort of plan. DH has been on a kick again where he likes to make a meal one night a week. While I appreciate that, he as you might recall from the $24 lasagna, will run to the local store and just buy what he thinks he needs, no mind what might already be at home, and mind the price. To get ahead of that, I'll see if he can plan for Thursday, and I'll ad to today's shop.

Things got haywire with some spending and I'll add the dollar store shop to what I have spent this week on Household and Grocery, putting me now at $256 for the month, plus $40.85 in special budget for food for Christmas. With all I need to buy, plus having an extra adult in the house for five days, I very well will exceed my $400 target. Plus, we've spent a lot on meals out and take out. It is what it is. I am saving on my gift budget, so overall, December will be less of a money suck than last December was. I can't find my post, but something lingers in my head that we topped $500 in groceries alone not counting household, and additional frequent take out and meals out. Even though an improvement on last year, careful planning will support my cause. Meal options, many left over from last week:

  • Chicken rice hotdish with steamed vegetables
  • Rice crust veggie and cheese quiche
  • Chicken fried rice with mixed vegetables
  • Sloppy Joe's and roasted potato wedges 
  • Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn
  • Homemade chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese and corn
  • Bean soup from the freezer with egg salad sandwiches
  • Tuna Hotdish with green beans
  • Pizza
Groceries needed:
Bread
Chicken breasts
Hamburger and hamburger buns
Pork loin, ribs, or roast (for DH to make Thursday)
Barbecue Sauce
Chicken gumbo and tomato soup (for Sloppy Joe's)
Baking potatoes
Mixed Vegetables
Bananas
Coffee
Milk
Garbage bags

If I stick to this, estimating about $40, I'll be left with $104 for groceries and all to months end, plus the $40.85 which is earmarked for items I don't normally buy. Other items that I am bringing for Christmas eve, and Christmas day need basic ingredients and we'd need to eat anyway so I'll count towards the regular H&G budget. DD1 had bought some items, still well within use by date that fit with my party contributions, so she brought over, along with a dozen eggs as she is slowly cutting more animal products from her diet as they have irritated her stomach. We'll need groceries after Christmas as well, so my dreams of a $400 December are fading, but I'll still give it a valiant effort. Eating at home and packing lunches for DH and I are essential. How is your budget doing this month? what do you sere your family when you know you are gone a few weeknights?






16 comments:

  1. Your hubby and mine sound almost exactly the same - he loves to cook elaborate meals about once a week, I just cook whatever is on sale or in the house. He is hard on that budget - but - me doing the shopping for his meal has saved money. I meal planned the last 3 days...now I've got no ideas. Maybe a leftover night for me and fish night for hubby since I am not keen on it (except salmon chowder which we are saving for closer to Christmas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to not think about meals at least one night. I don't care if I eat repeat meals for days but they both do.

      Delete
  2. Budget I am supposed to have a budget, crap I knew I forgot something......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been cooking from the freezer so my actual grocery budget this month has been fairly low. Dang good thing since my Christmas budget has been a little higher than I planned, plus we are still recovering from all the money we hemorrhaged during the wedding and week + that our entire family was here (at our house, taking my credit card to the grocery store , buying stuff I NEVER buy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing so well. I've already second guessed myself and will try eating up some bits tonight.

      Delete
  4. How many meals did you get from that $$ lasagne though? I make a 'mean' lasagne myself- lots of cheese and often fresh spinach plus I don't use bottled sauce- but it is heavy and makes several servings. No one eats more than 1 piece at a meal. I don't make it often- too many calories- but it's not that expensive when you consider per serving. I rarely eat out so I don't mind spending more for good tasting food. A goal for 2019 is to make one new recipe a week- I told my son I am weeding through my stack of recipes. I see one that looks good, cut it out (I love magazines) and that is usually the end of it. Also, I must have 50 cookbooks and I still go right to them at a bookstore! Addict here but going to start using new recipes or STOP cutting out ones I see and/or buying cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably got 8 servings, so ay $3 a piece, I guess not as bad as it sounds, you're right. But if we spent $3 a serving, that would be $270 before anything else was purchased.I want to try new recipes as wellm please share your results.

      Delete
    2. Some meals are really inexpensive though so that makes up for the occasional splurge. Hot dogs- CHEAP! I just made some sausage gravy for my breakfast- turkey sausage was $1 and all I needed was some flour and milk which I always have. I also had some frozen biscuits I made and froze awhile back. I doubt if my serving cost 50 cents and i probably have 4 servings left. I'll let you know if I make anything good- I love Thai food and I want to experiment with it.

      Delete
    3. I know I shouldn't get so down on him about cooking and splurging on ingredients. However, we eat out several times a month plus pick up take and bake pizza a couple times a month, and on occasion other take out like chicken or tacos, though we've not done either of those for a few months. It would be nice if h splurged cooked a meal, we then actually had a nice sit down meal, but its often on Thursday's when I have a list a mile long or we are running to something else. You make great points about evening out with inexpensive meals like hot dogs or soup.

      Delete
  5. I am still trying to use up stuff in preparation of our move, but the grocery bill is stable, because we are buying the treats for Christmas...eggnog, rum, salmon, salami, fancy cheeses, etc..
    I hear you about wine headaches. I find that if I am drinking an unfamiliar wine in an unfamiliar establishment,(I only drink red) that it's best to sip a glass of room temperature water as well. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right as rain now. Thanks. We drank 3.49€ Sauvignon Blanc in France without a smidge of hangover. The quality for price was insane in a good way. I'm still deciding on all the decadent items for the holiday, but a nice meat and cheese board sounds lovely.

      Delete
  6. I have a few plans when I'm gone: I buy discounted gift cards to a local salad bar place (it's pretty inexpensive & a HUGE kid hit). If I'm going to be traveling for a week, my husband will need a break & do a meal out. I also have easy freezer meal prep: frozen pizzas, and then we sometimes keep frozen Costco lasagna & meatballs & pasta at home. Between that, my husband can cobble dinner together. He's actually an excellent cook, but prefers to have a lot of time. Cooking on week nights is not his favorite. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten any discount coupons or codes for a while, but time to check our local market place. this has to be when your freezer prep is a great tool in your budget box.

      Delete
  7. I love tuna hot dish! That's my sure vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that has to be on the meal list this week. good comfort food before a hectic, but jolly weekend.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.