Monday, December 10, 2018

Where I Wanted to be at the End of 2018

The last couple years I've done my annual goals more as a prospective looking ahead at what I would have hoped to have done by years end. Below is my five things I said last January, I was hoping to be able to report back that I accomplished. The result is no where near the forecast. 

  1. The elusive hosting of girl's time (a carry over from last year). I had my friends over for coffee, wine, hanging out, at least 6 times before the pages close on this year. NADA-I didn't host a single girls night, breakfast, or anything in my home. I did get together with others in their homes or public spaces, but not what I had intended. This is just plain dumb. Am I lazy, not ambitious, ashamed of my home? A little all of the above. I need to fix this attitude by changing this outcome next year. 
  2. My book, the one I started two summers ago, will be completed-calculating editing and rewrites. It has sat in a 75% completed stage for 9 months-that long since I last did any meaningful work on it. While nothing other than sitting on a shelf in my office will come of it, at least I will be able to definitively say, "I wrote a book." You probably know already  and probably knew last January this was going to a blood typed red. Enough said, but will keep a goals for 2019. 
  3. Speaking of that office-it will be a place of creative energy and not a makeshift storage room. I'll also have that gift closet ready and waiting for proper retrieval of all the interesting and useful things I found for people over the year. Oh, yet another item in RED. I can't even put it in yellow because this was a failed start. 
  4. My new blog, complete with a video or two, will be up and running with content. I purchased the domain this summer and have elicited  moral support from friends and family, as well as tangible professional support from DD1. Now, I need to get going on the design and content. This blog will remain my  virtual journal because you folks are the best to talk with. The best I can say is that I bought and renewed the URL. I have some articles waiting in the hopper.
  5. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, I can say I began each morning in a place  focused on meditation, reflection, and appreciation for all who are in my life, all I have, and all anxiety and regret pushed aside.  Remember May and June of last year? I was in a horrible state. Some counseling, some refresh time, and I got some positivity back. It will always be a work in progress to be as appreciative of the life I have as I should be. 
As I set 2019 goals and aspirations for myself, I'll keep this unsuccessful recap front of mind. Life changes, and new priorities evolve. Still, these were areas I truly wanted to be able to write about in positive ways. I have intention of keeping some from on my 2019 list, but perhaps need to check in with myself more frequently as I have with money goals. As I know the financial side of life will be lean, each of these things will cost little or nothing. Perhaps 2019 is the year I invest time, not money, into creating the life I really want. Deep thoughts for a Monday morning. How about you? Are you reminiscing over 2018 feeling like you nailed your aspirations? If you are recapping your 2018 goals, feel free to link in the comments. 

9 comments:

  1. I don't generally set yearly or monthly goals. I can't even follow a weekly meal plan. I think I have a life plan, and then live each day according to those values. THAT SAID--with our move, I wanted to remove about three things from our house each day this past year. Some days I hit upwards of a dozen. Others, nothing. One problem is DH can't bear to see things leave, so I try to do it when he isn't around to make it easier on everybody. (Thank goodness he doesn't tend to acquire a lot of things.) He just questions everything--he's so #&#&% indecisive, and this is a manifestation of that. Once, when he was in a state over a size 2 black wool skirt from my work wardrobe I was getting rid of. I threw it at him and said "If YOU plan on wearing it, fine, keep it, otherwise, it's going!" Since then, he leaves me to it, but if he's around, I seem him biting back his comments, which really just irritates me. I have no patience with that sort of lack of logic, so it's best I just do it alone. Most of the kids are on board, and the one who isn't has clear parameters of keeping the stuff. Basically, if I see it, it's gone, so if it can't fit in your closet, make a choice, or I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg my first goal for when I retire (in 9 days - not that I'm counting) is to completely declutter this house. I have everybody's crap here because I have the space and even I am amazed at how much it does my head in. It is very difficult to get rid of stuff but I always ask myself "remember that ..... you got rid of a couple of months ago? Do you ever think of it? And of course the answer is no. Good luck.

      Delete
    2. Decluttering will always be on my goal list. Maybe bits and pieces of calm will emerge in 2019.

      Delete
  2. I think you have done well this year. You had a major trip and wonderful experiences with your kids. This is your babies last year home, enjoy life happens and you only get this once. DOn't be too hard on yourself, with your great career and great kids you are a success no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it was a good year-I just lacked personal growth and focus where I want life to be for my own sense of calm. I don't feel I'm being hard-just honest with myself.

      Delete
  3. I agree about the trip and side trips with your youngest. You had a mostly wonderful year, and mostly is important. We all have goals but they change with the wind, because life happens around us and is unpredictable. Just accept the great parts of the year as a gift and leave everything else in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate and the year was good. 2017 was emotionally draining with so much illness and deaths, that I knew I had to make this past year good. I would like to feel more self accomplished, and not through my job.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. but that office! My clutter. Keeping focused and eventually ther might be progress.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.