Sunday, January 27, 2019

Home Ahead of the Snow Storm

Weather reports are that a huge snow storm, followed by days of  20 below or colder temperatures is on its. way. No one wasted time leaving the hotel this morning and we were on the road by 9:00 with a six hour drive ahead. I'm toasty warm, waiting for DD2, who is on the bus, plus has to unload and drive home. She had an incredibly successful weekend as part of her choir ensemble, sweeping every category except costumes. There were many surprises with a couple incredible teams not making finals. We think there might have been some penalties for time, but do not know for sure. However, the six that competed  in the finals were all very good. We saw an exhibition by the host school. Two weeks ago they finished as Grand Champions and DD2's choir was 2nd runner-up, or third place. I didn't get to see the winners because I was chaperoning and taking care of costumes. Wow! That is all I can say to describe the talent. I'm pleased as punch for my kiddo on being part of her second Grand Champion performance of the season, but will be happy when she walks in the door. 

Her first words are likely "Do you think they'll cancel school?" It will depend how much and when, and how cold and when it gets. We are fully stocked with provisions and I can work from home for a couple days if need be. I don't want to be snowed and froze in, but  am prepared if it happens. Pup was happy to see us. We saw DD1 gave home one of his treat bones. He had to show us right away. It is so nice having her take care of him. We wouldn't be able to go to these as often if she wasn't willing to do so, but she loves the little fluff ball. 

I'm off to sort our laundry from the weekend and fold the towels left in the dryer form Friday. I'll start more laundry once she is home so we can sort her case and make full loads. That's about it for my weekend. re you in one of the snow or cold zones? what are your plans for staying warm and in good spirits if home bound? 

10 comments:

  1. The weather was lovely today (mid 60s), so I went for a run in the sunshine. It was exactly what I needed, as there were parenting/homework challenges with Sam earlier in the day. Parenting. Sigh.

    So glad you were able to get home in time! I'm making dinner (egg roll in a bowl with first time trial of cauliflower rice) & then the kids are heading to a coding class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were well ahead of any snow and so was our daughter. It was already quite cold 1 degree by the time we pulled in the driveway.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's some harsh weather coming your way for sure! Stay safe and warm! =)
    We haven't had really ANY snow at all this winter...But, the ice storm we had last Sunday was dangerous but beautiful in its own way I guess. Truth be told, I would LOVE just one whopper of a snowstorm on a weekend when no one in my family needs to go anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking advantage of technology and teleworking today. No need to risk stupid drivers and cold. Even f bitter cold, once roads are cleared driving will be fine, but both bitter temps and poor roads-no thank you.

      Delete
  3. Well you do live where cold weather is expected. I marvel at people who think that they will not have to endure certain weather conditions. Like I won't have to endure heat here in this desert region of Idaho. At least you prepare for it even when you dislike it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grouse a lot about the cold, more so each year, but yes, you just have to deal with it. It's not going anywhere.

      Delete
  4. Wow, bad weather coming. We had snow yesterday but it really has been NOTHING like winter. I was just looking at the weather forecast for this weekend (for my trip back to Britain for my brother's funeral) and it looks ok. It really is unbelievable. At least the ski resorts will have gotten some snow yesterday (which is a definite plus for them)! Stay safe. I love the snow but only in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair,this is our first REAL winter conditions to deal with. There have been years when November has been brutal. I'm working form home. I'll take a mini break later and do some Yoga. I'm zenlike that!

      Delete
  5. We haven't had a snow day yet this year. This has been a mild winter. Typically, we get one freeze just after Thanksgiving, and a snow just before, giving us a snow day before Christmas. We are holding youngest responsible for our lack of a snow day--obviously his "Snow Dance" wasn't earnest enough. (Not sure how we started the tradition of calling on him to do a snow dance, but there it is.)
    On the other hand, we started school 4 days later in September due to a much warranted teachers' strike, so we started the year with 4 days tacked on in June. The nicer weather has also helped with our house construction. With any luck, we should be moving by April Fool's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the house getting done on time or ahead of schedule. I just keep finding things to add to our to do list! As I typed above, this has been our first bout of the bad winter stuff, so it could be a lot worse and could have started much earlier i winter.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.