Friday, February 22, 2019

Thanks Trundling Through Life- Simple Joy

Trundling Through Life posted on Wednesday and linked to a couple resources on the joy of simplicity and little things. I needed to read and be reminded that a well lived life is not just one with grand sweeping adventures and a series of once in a lifetime experiences, but finding joy and contentment in the ordinary and everyday. I'm not sure how often I'll do these, but periodically, maybe semi regularly, I'll use this space to muse about the everyday simple joys I see, hear, feel, taste, and smell. I'm a greedy guts like many people. There is so much I want. Yet, I know having those things won't inherently by themselves give me more joy in life. It is how I use or experience them and who with that the real  joy comes from. Here is post one. 

The Joy of a Practically Equipped Kitchen

Sure, I'd love one of those kitchens with the big center island with both a prep sink and  regular sink. I'd also love the look of the faucet that springs out over the stove to fill a big pot. Yet, in a way, I don't really get the importance because you still need to move the pot off the stove to empty the water. It looks cool, but what is the extra real function? I'd like new flooring and new counter tops, and a sink that at least mimics the farm house style I love, but those are not in the budget right now. There are gizmo's and gadgets galore that would be fun for trying out recipes and getting creative, but then there is the storage or counter clutter. 

No, what I have realized while not having a functioning oven is the joy in having a kitchen that is practical and multi functioning. My Kitchen is not big, but it is adequate  about 180 square feet with room for a table that comfortably seats 6. All the appliances in the kitchen get used regularly, some, like the coffee maker and microwave, daily. I really miss my oven right now, but with these appliances, nothing faddy, nothing really top of the line, I can still cook. I can sit at my table with a cup of coffee and my computer, looking out windows in the nook where the table sits content that I am indoors, away from the elements, while a crock-pot of ravioli heats through for dinner. I'll improvise garlic bread, using the toaster to warm sliced bread. It's circa 1988 and looks it. My kitchen though, when not looking like a tornado landed, brings me joy. 

13 comments:

  1. The more bells and whistles, the bigger chance of something going wrong! My only demands for my new kitchen appliances were a dual fuel range, and full width refrigerator. It's easy to think we need to have the latest gizmos and styles, but so FREEING when we realize exactly what works for us. Personally, I dislike the open kitchen/family room concept, so I refused to have it in our new place. We have a kitchen/dining room instead, with a small nook for a pair of wing chairs and side table. (Envision DH and I wine drinking as I keep an eye on dinner, with no t.v. to bother us.) I also didn't plan for a microwave, as I rarely use one, and didn't want to sacrifice the space. (slide in range, so no over-the-stove slot for one.) Anyway, here's me lifting a virtual cup of coffee at your cozy kitchen table. Hope the oven situation resolves soon. In the meantime, I am enjoying hearing of you meeting the challenge via your slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister has a dual oven-really nice, but she hosts big family gatherings which I rarely do. I have a separate dining room as well-I don't think new home buyers will be a fan though, but it suits us.

      Delete
  2. I know you are missing your oven but I know meals can happen without it. Just different types of meals.
    I think we have become a nation of wants rather than needs. I will admit I love my keurig and love having fresh coffee every cup, but if I had to go back to a stove top percolator I would survive and survive fine. About a year ago I got rid of any excess small appliance I didn't a minimum of five times a year. I did not realize how much real estate I was giving up for unused or seldom used things.
    I would love a French door refrigerator but I know until my current one dies, I won't get one, and as for a fancy kitchen__it would be fun to have one but I don't need it and truly no longer cook "large" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole house just could use a face lift, but it is all functional, warm, safe, and cozy. As Meg B says, more bells and whistles, more to go wrong in appliances. I like your 5 time rule. We also have tired to do some "Sharing" of some appliances kitchen things amongst family members.

      Delete
  3. I have a very small kitchen, but I am so happy with the new design, I just wish I could really finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link! I love my kitchen - it's not big but I can cook in it, do a few hobbies in it, sit to eat in it, share a coffee with friends and just relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee with friends and relaxing-two additional simple joys!

      Delete
  5. I'll definitely check out the link. I'm always in need of stopping to appreciate & enjoy what we have. I definitely changed after the kids were born, & started to realize how much more I appreciate experiences vs things. It's been a real eye opener for me on how much I used to spend on "things". I try hard to ask myself whether I would rather have an experience instead, and the answer is almost always yes.

    Here's hoping you are able to get your oven repaired soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuff breaks, gets outdated, loses it's newness, but memories of an experience are always fresh. Time with kids, friends, family, are not ever repeatable in the same way, so best to enjoy every second.

      Delete
  6. What lovely flowers. The bigger the kitchen the more there is to clean!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old photo from last Easter, but yes, they were so lovely.

      Delete
  7. No, not dual oven, dual FUEL--gas cooktop, electric oven, which will slide in to the island. I am short, so double ovens don't work well for me--top is too high, bottom too low. People thought I was crazy not wanting double wall oven, or even a Viking brand range, but I didn't, so there it is!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.