Friday, April 26, 2019

Family Ties

My oldest cousin passed away last weekend and the wake and funeral are this weekend. He was the oldest son of my last aunt who passed away last year, or has it been two years already? This was the aunt that lost two of her six children in a care accident in the 50"s, one at just 8 and the other 17. She lost another child under unclear circumstances two decades later, shortly after having lost her husband. The twin of that child died about 10 years ago from cancer. She outlived her husband and four children, and now her oldest, after  suffering the last few years from cancer, is able to join her. My cousin E is the sole remaining member of her family. Another of my dad's sisters had two children through adoption, but everyone lost touch with her son after he left high school, but I don't know the details being pretty young at the time, and the other child just sort of disconnected from the rest of us after both her parents died. Dad's third sister had three daughters, and only one is still alive and his bother never had any children.

It is a sad looking family tree, but I have really happy memories from my very young days when the aunts and uncles, cousins, would gather for the 4th of July at my parents hobby farm, or my aunt and Uncles farm for Christmas. My grandma was still alive then, and even after she passed when I was 12, for  a few years the gatherings tried to continue. E has made a few attempts at a family gathering, but with so few cousins remaining, it is harder to get the next generations together. My sisters that host Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and 4th of July are really good about extending invitations beyond our immediate family, just in case any of the cousins and their offspring might want to join and from time to time, the even more extended family is partially together again. Technically, my brother being the oldest living cousin, is now the "T" family patriarch, and I guess my oldest sister, is the matriarch as the oldest living female cousin. Is that how this stuff works? My mom just had one sister, who only had two children. My male cousin passed away a few years ago, but we semi regularly see my other cousin, and my moms cousins kids for lunches and they will often join the summer get togethers.

There's stupid family stuff going on in DH's family regarding the second cabin, the one that was his grandparents. What for decades was a source of gathering and extended family fun has turned sour, started by what I can only assume is anger at the building of the new cabin next door. There are now lawyers upon lawyers involved and questions about the deed and property lines, and leans on an insurance claim. It is all so stupid and it makes me sad to think of DH's grand parents who meant the cabin to be their legacy for future generations. It just makes me hope no one in his immediate family gets this way over the family lake house, which is what the new cabin turned into.

I think of McVal at Sew Not My Day and the lovely tributes to her mother, shown through the love of her large extended family gathering for her. I hope I see my few remaining cousins tonight and tomorrow, and that they know they are in my heart, despite the stretch in connections over the years. I hope this dumb cabin stuff gets resolved because I'm tired of DH being on calls for hours about it, but more so, sad for my mother-in-law. Seeing this all from a few steps back makes me want to be particularly resilient with the petty things I let bother me in his family, because overall, they are not important in the least. 

17 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your cousin. Your line about the legacy of the cabin really touched home with me. When dh's pap was alive, the whole extended family would be at the cabin every weekend. People everywhere, tons of food, big bonfires, lots of laughs. After he passed, everything fell apart. Some family refuse to go at all. His parents took it over and while it's neat and cared for and it is now cluttered and full of "their" stuff. Most of the cousins aren't on speaking terms and it feels like you need an invitation to stay now, not open door, the more the merrier as it used to be. I don't know who his parents will pass it down to. My husband loves it the most...but he's the black sheep of the family. If his oldest sister gets control of it, I know she would change the locks and not give him a key. And I can't even imagine the fight after that :( Family stuff is tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes no senses, is the partnership of the cabin had worked phenomenally well for nearly 20 years, then, just after my FIL died, and my MIL and her children (DH and siblings) decided to replace her cabin, not the grandparent cabin, his uncle just got weird and created all kinds of issues out of non-issues. It wasn't even his parents cabin, but his wife's parents. Even if you think family things, this started more as a jealous neighbor issue (though MIL family owned 1/3 of the partnership cabin as well), that has escalated into a weird feud-over nothing.

      Delete
  2. We have a family vacation house (it is ours from a purchase perspective), but we let family stay for free. My family takes great care of it, and treats it like their own. We are also further away, so my uncle, parents, etc help to maintain it. It works well. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, and hope the service is an opportunity to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that is what the main cabin is. It technically is still owned by my MIL, but she has put it into a trust. We still will need to determine ongoing generational logistics, but the intent is for generations to just come and enjoy, and leave it cared for so the next can enjoy. It is very generous of you to share, and I think I would do the same considering the distance and trust among family. It is lovely to be able to share with those you love.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss, Sam. I'm glad for you that you have your happy memories to remember them fondly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at old pictures was lovely-my parents, and aunts and uncles. My cousin was one of my sisters God parents, and there was a picture of him holding her as a tiny baby, when he was perhaps 19?

      Delete
  4. Gosh your story could have been my ex's family story. His mom was 12th of 12 children growing up in Pennsylvania with 3 farms in the family. They used to have hog roasts and hay rides and great family get togethers. However, when I joined the family it was a family at war because of the sale of pap's farm. The older family members wanted it sold immediately because they were old, but the one son-in-law knew there was coal under there and wanted to strip it first, put the farm back and then sell! It was REALLY nasty. Eventually it was sold immediately and they all got a piddling sum out of it - said farm later being bought by the lawyer handling the inheritance, who stripped it of the coal and then sold the farm and made a FORTUNE! They made up again eventually but obviously as the family tree gets bigger and bigger they won't ever be as close again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stupidness of this is it is not an inheritance issue, as the property was actually purchased by a partnership. this is someone got his underwear in a bunch because they decided the new cabin next door was not wanted. He started first nitpicking how our family used it, then the third partners family used it, then made ridiculous claims that the other families were intentionally ruining (nothing was ruined) which makes no senses because it was just as much their property. Everyone who uses the cabin leaves it pristine including the young kids. They all know the garbage and recycle rules, etc. There is no logic to it at all and now it is going on three years of issues.

      Delete
    2. That's even sadder isn't it!

      Delete
  5. So sorry for your loss. My family is very tight-knit... Except for my immediate family. We moved to Alaska when I was just 5, and while we visited, I've always felt like an outsider because I wasn't growing up with all of the family, so I could never keep everyone straight. (My grandmother had 8 siblings, 7 of whom survived to have children -- most had multiple marriages and kids in each one. It's dizzying.) I haven't been back in many, many years, so I'm definitely not close with anyone. The only person I was remotely close to was my cousin who moved up to Alaska to go to school and stayed. Even so, she and I lost touch after I went away to college. And of course I lost touch with my father's family when I cut him out of my life. I guess I'm just not great at keeping family connections. But on the bright side it means I've never been involved in any petty squabbles about inheritances or properties, which it sounds like your DH is mired in. I hope it gets sorted out soon so that you guys can simply enjoy his grandparents' legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you and your mom are close, and that is a wonderful relationship to have. While because of the growth and expansion of families it makes getting together hard, there is pretty much just positive relationships and good memories on both sides of my parents and their families.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin. It's interesting how a family can be close and tied together and then suddenly not anymore. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate in that I've not had to deal with anything but positive on my side, just expansion and schedules that have diminished the closeness over the years. With DH's family, it is just so petty and sad. Five years ago we had a wonderful huge family fathers day, 4th of July, labor day weekends. Four years ago was tough because it was the first summer after losing his dad for DH, so things just were different. Then the family relations started to b chiseled three years ago with the planning of the new cabin. The last happy extended family memory, and now looking back at the picture it is pretty sad is the preliminary walls going up, and a picture with my MIL's younger grandkids and the crazy uncles grand kids, sitting on the building blocks. That's the last weekend those sets of extended cousins have been together after being together 6-10 weekends a summer since birth.

      Delete
  7. Isn't it awful when families fight over money and things. I was so happy when mom dies about the way we handled the situation. Well other than the brothers feeling very left out and I know there are bad feelings there but they had theirs first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't even over money or stuff, just hurt feelings caused by something no one knows. It was like he has been itching for a fight for 45 years and waited a year after my father in law died to start it.

      Delete
  8. One of the only ways to stay entirely out of family politics is to live in another country - Mom says it sure helps (her brother and sisters live in the USA). I am sorry about your loss - enjoy your time spent with remaining relatives. It is sad but funerals are about the only time we see hubby's family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say, while there is some family drama in DH's immediate family because a few members are bossy, arrogant, and attention seeking, there isn't really any politic stuff. His siblings band together pretty well to ensure my MIL is supported, and genuinely do care about each other. My family has never had money, and the little bit there was after my parents died was well planned for by my father. It was wonderful to see the old family photos, many predated me as my cousin is 25 years older than me-I grew up with his kids.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.