Saturday, April 20, 2019

Groceries Seem to be Going Up, Up, and Up

Anyone else  floored by grocery hikes? I'm not following my budget as strictly as I could be, but I'm really looking at prices when I do buy to get the best value. I mainly shop at Aldi and at the local grocery store near my house, a Coborne's. Occasionally, we go to Cub and I've picked up groceries at Target if I'm there and don't want another stop, or at the Kwik Trip for milk, bread, fruit, and eggs. Name brand items unless a loss leader have gotten completely out of hand price wise, and store brands are creeping up higher and higher it seems with every shop. Even Aldi, where I started shopping in limited amounts at the one near my old work place about seven years ago, and then in the last three years regularly since the one on my route home opened, seems much higher. 

I'm also looking at the sizes of products. Items that used to be boxed in say 16 ounces, often are the same price as they used to be, but now there is only 12 or 14 ounces. Several pasta types and canned goods have fallen to this change. While I know I should make my own sauce, I remember when both my older kids were young, before DD2 was born, I could make spaghetti and meat sauce using 1 jar of sauce and a pound of  spaghetti. Now I don't think we eat particularly more now, but with just three of us, that jar just feeds us, maybe with a small portion of leftovers to reheat. (I don't cook the whole package of spaghetti or keep) No wonder-it is only 26 ounces compared to 32. The Aldi staple is $1.49 a jar, and a good loss leader sale might stretch in the regular grocery store to 2 for $3.00. I never used to pay more than $1.00 a jar. Rant about jarred spaghetti sauce aside, I see it in product after product. 

At the same time I lament about the price of groceries, I know many farmers are struggling to make ends meet, struggling to see a profit on their labor. I wouldn't be so crabby about groceries going up if those that contributed the bulk of the labor to get the food in the stores were seeing fair returns. Granted, many stores have increased their hourly wage to attract better workers, so could account for a fraction of the increase. Where is the rest coming from? Gas prices are stable but I know there is a shortage of truck drivers. Anyone that doesn't not think that just about every industry some how touches your life should do a little think as to the very limited degrees of separation in the food chain. 

When all this home business is done and the party out of the way, I feel like I need to start doing a much better job of price watching. I need to stock up when the getting is good and go back to shopping my pantry. I'm excited for the  refrigerator I picked up, which will have a much more useful freezer for storing. I bought a 10 pound spiral ham at  the store, but I'm not hosting, but at just $.95 per pound, I couldn't pass up. It is taking up way too much space in my freezer though. I would have liked to have gotten two but my current freezer style would not work for a second. My new one will have a better way to store bulk meat and the items I need to have regular access to. Likewise, if I don't get to it before summer, My pantry, really just narrow cupboard shelves built into the wall between my kitchen and dining room, could use an overhaul with updating the spacing and number of shelves. Stocking my pantry will look different with no kid in the house, but between not wanting to be caught having to buy something at top price and the temptation to eat out rather than cook with just the two of us, being organized and well stocked is a necessary. Are you noticing skyrocketing process in your area? Besides shopping low and stocking up, how are you managing your food budget? 


19 comments:

  1. You should see the price hikes here in Turkey! Due to our idiotic government, economy is tanking big time and officially the inflation rate is 20-21 % but, I can confidently tell you, it is about 40%. It is absolutely terrible. I try my best to buy everything when they are on sale but, it requires a lot of effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your levels of inflation. I at least have shopping options.

      Delete
  2. My best secret is meal planning & using food up before it goes bad. But, even that isn't enough often. I try to be creative with our meals, and ensure leftovers are part of our dinner rotation. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waste is still a problem in my house. I try to control by using leftovers for lunches and as another meal.

      Delete
  3. My favorite herbal tea went from reg. price of $2.99 to $3.19 recently. I noticed since this is something I WILL buy not on sale(b/c it hardly goes on sale).lol
    I haven't really noticed anything else going up here yet since I try only to buy at rock bottom in the sales cycle.

    Our eating will be changing in a month when the daughter leaves...I'll be doing an eating "reset"(like a diet but for a different medical purpose)and will be restricted to one or two food items for about a month while Hubs and son will be cooking for themselves. I hope they survive. lolz
    And HP is right.....half the battle of keeping the food budget in check is NOT to let leftovers get pitched and not eaten. Americans throw out a much too high % of the foods they spend their $ on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite guilty of waste, so always trying to improve.

      Delete
  4. I just buy loss leaders and get my meat on sale, we eat staples mostly, but when I want to cook something different I really see how prices have gone up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye, I need to get back to basics and stock my pantry.

      Delete
  5. Yes! My husband who disregards prices when he goes to the store (why I do 95% of the shopping - budget killer) even noticed it when he came with me the other day. I needed to buy celery as only had a super limp/rubber 1/3 of a head and need it for my stuffing. $6.98! Apparently celery is the new steak. I refused that price - went to a second store and it was $5.98 - still super crazy. Instead I went home, chopped up the celery and soaked it in cold water - just tested it and it is totally crunchy again! I have just enough for stuffing, might have to add extra onions this time instead. In Canada we are also suffering from that (#*#**) orange boy's tariffs. I try and buy non USA because of it (yes, that hurts farmers, he can answer to them) but it is not always possible. I guess the only option is to try and shop the sales, buy produce only when in season. Those are 2 reasons why I don't meal plan because the idea of making a list and buying it at the store regardless of price gives me the willy nillies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farmers are really hurting gete, at least many I know. But get, Cheeto and friends don't make money from farming. I make meal options from what I have but we do make too many special stops.

      Delete
  6. It is definitely a problem here. Our minimum wage was raised to $15.00/hour a long time ago, and with that, there was an increase in prices across the board.
    Equally important to me as shopping rock bottom/loss leader shopping and using up leftovers to me is planning--not just menus, but coordinating everybody's whereabouts so we aren't tempted to resort to crappy convenience food or eating out. To this end, unless there is a good reason, or you have arranged with me beforehand, the members of this household are to be here at a certain time for dinner. There is no sense in me stocking the larders, spending my time preparing a meal to be served at 5:30 with at least one thing everybody will enjoy, only to have a kid or two call from school and claim they can't be home until 6 p.m., and, oh, they need a ride then too. It doesn't happen without a good reason, or if it does, it doesn't happen twice.
    Other than that, my big food expense is DH and his willingness to take kids out to breakfast or lunch at the drop of a hat when they are out and about. I think he thinks up errands to run with them in order to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a big family, I can imagine time management for meals is critical. Even when just five of us, I had to think ahead so much more than now. I've gotten complacent.

      Delete
  7. I have noticed a couple of things I used to buy regularly at Aldi literally rose 50 cents in price in one weeks time. I shop sales and stock up when prices are low. I buy fresh vegetables seasonally and do a load of freezing and some canning. I need to can more this summer when veggies are at their prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to maximize my new freezer this year and my shelves.50 cents is a big mark up, regardless.

      Delete
  8. The only store I buy groceries at is Publix. I feel comfortable there, the workers all know me, they're friendly, treated and paid fairly and the store is clean and bright. I don't feel like I'm contributing to corporate greed when I shop there. I try my best to shop the sales and BOGOS and stock up on those items. I use coupons sometimes, but I don't buy what I don't need. Nevertheless, I'm sure I pay more for groceries than people that shop at discount stores, but I don't leave there feeling depressed. lol. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that there was a jump in some items I regularly buy, one of them was dog food. I was shocked. So now I'm thinking that when it goes on sale, it will just be the price it used to be. We also have a 10% tax here, so that adds a lot to the bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IS the tax on all food? In Minnesota it is on pop, candy, and pre-made deli items (but not sliced meat or cheeses).

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's on all food! It's maddening! On the flip side, my property taxes are only $500. They get their money in other ways here. The state just raised the gas tax. :-/

      Delete
  9. I was just lamenting on the same issues. I buy pretty much the same groceries every week but my 400.00/ mo the budget is now needing to be closer to 500.00. We can only do what we can do..shop sales, markdowns, stocking up etc. Several budgeted line items have been decreased or cut out to compensate for the grocery bill. Its sad when you can eat off the dollar menu cheaper than cooking at home. not that we do....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not wasting has to be my strategy, and making the right amount of food. We all are doing what we can to stretch aren't we?

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.