Saturday, May 18, 2019

Learning From Early Retirees

For my birth year, retirement age, or the age I can draw full social security is 67. Technically, anything under that then would be early retirement but I'm setting my eyes on 62, roughly 8.5 years. When I originally changed jobs, I had a more ambitious target of 59 1/2, but with multiple number crunching, I can't see that working unless I had lucrative very part time work doing consulting or short term project management. That isn't beyond possibility, but would be too dependent on others to adequately plan now. I also would need to think about stretching my retirement date from my 62nd birthday until my anniversary date of employment in March, which would give me an additional year of credit to my pension, or roughly estimate, another $1400 per year. I'm sure I'll have a lot of vacation accrued so I wouldn't actually be working full time right up until then, so it makes sense. 

Without a doubt, DH needs to retire at 62. He continues to work incredibly long hours at a job he is good at, but no one else he works with seems to be. This has him regularly jumping through hoops problem solving for others, which then impacts his time with customers, and thus his income potential. There is also the ongoing implied threat that his store will close, and when and if it does, it would be with little to no notice. I feel like every month he keeps earning paycheck there I should be grateful. For both of us, we are roughly four and nine year away. I don't know if still having a dependent (or at least college dependent child) is typical or average  for our ages but her needs are part of our planning now as well in the first target of four years. 

I read a lot of blogs from people in the same age bracket as me, but more and more I'm looking for those for those just ahead of us on the life journey, and importantly those that are about to retire, have recently retired, or retired in their late 50's or early 60's to glean whatever wisdom I can from their experiences. There's one blog I read intermittently, and despite her posts that are all over the place (I did this perfect, I messed this up, my kids hate me, I have the best family ever, everyone else is doing it wrong...), I do pick up much from her, but some based on hat I would describe as her less than stellar retirement habits. Not all the lessons are specifically about money, but they are about quality of life. Here's some of the top ones that I'm trying to encapsulate into my life, and I am sure at greater and lesser degrees of success. I'm phrasing these as if I am directing  you, but please take what resonates with you and disregard what doesn't.

  1. Figure out the lifestyle you will want in retirement and begin to make a budget now. If you don't know what your needs will be once you stop working it is hard to set targets and aspirational goals, the first step in saving towards retirement. Use retirement calculators, but also don't get discouraged when they throw out  savings targets that are so far beyond your reality. Add where you can, in whatever means you can-. (see #3). Edit based on a wise commenter-health care for the time between retirement and Medicare eligibility, as well as any supplemental coverage must be in the budget. 
  2. Start weeding the spending clutter from your current budget. This last 4-9 years of DH and I working needs to be a time to cut clutter out of our lives and our budget should be first. Sure things will break and get run down and will need replacing but as for entirely new additions, we need nothing. Of course, I consider our minor and incremental home improvements part of maintaining the home, but even then we need to be cautious to spend right. 
  3. Maximize every savings vehicle you have available. If you started late, make up where there are options to do so. Putting $13,000 into the Roth was scary for me this spring with college tuition looming. We though are earning good money on that retirement fund. Unlike my pension, and our 401K, the earnings on the Roth are tax free. We also need to make sure we are topping off DH's 401 K if he doesn't naturally reach it through his standard deduction. 
  4. Make sure you retire with as little to no debt as possible, but for sure none on your home. While I have a no interest car loan, this is it. I do not want another car loan hanging over us. I'll drive this car as long as possible, while we keep making payments to ourselves, and then eventually replace for cash. this goes without saying, but no home equity loan, no second mortgage-even if we are getting offers it seems daily to do this to cover college and home improvement. Knowing you have a place to call home, and if we decide to, sell it and downsize to something smaller in a less expensive community, brings me peace of mind.
  5. Since your active earning stops, build  cash savings up to a minimum of 12 months of living expenses plus lifestyle spending prior to retirement. There will be months in retirement that are just more expensive. Murphy doesn't retire. However, with no active earning, the need for a greater cushion should we need to tap into savings feels like a necessity. Of course we are not risking layoffs or under employment, but we still will be subject to the market with our retirement account and if we can hold off drawing down if the market takes a turn until it rebounds, we'll be might happy we have the cash to pay living expenses. We hope to do some travelling for long periods of time, perhaps a month at a time, so having that saved ahead would be a win as well. 
  6. Budget everything-make no purchases on a whim. I've never been a big shopping as entertainment person, but I can get caught in the great clearance sale mindset. I just need to keep reminding myself that every dollar needs to meet a purpose and money spent on something 75% off is still money spent and not put towards retirement. 
  7. Ensure your future is secure before supporting others. I feel blessed that we could help our kids with their education. I hope to contribute to their weddings at some point, and be available should they need any emergency help. However, these cannot come at the expense of our retirement investments. Same with helping other extended family and in charity giving. I want to be generous with all, and will budget intentionally, but self investment has to come first on that budget. 
  8. Do not take your health for granted. Maximize resources and support to keep you as healthy as possible now and into retirement. This one-man do I need to embrace! Our insurance covers annual exams, preventative procedures, and we have good dental care. Use them. I need to reduce or cut entirely processed foods, sugars, simple carbs, eat better and move more. What's the point of retiring young if I feel old? 
  9. Develop interest and hobbies that are meaningful but not expensive. Many retirement bloggers lamented about not having enough to do, feeling bored or their spouse was uninterested in trying new things. By finding interests now that I like, that he likes, and that we both can enjoy together now even though on a limited basis, will help ensure we have a lot to keep us busy. My Mother-in-law is never bored, always active in her sewing circles, her bridge clubs, her civics groups. My father-in-law before he died as a rock hound and a golfer. My parents also enjoyed card clubs, volunteer work at the veterans home and hospital, civics groups and increased their reading, attended local sporting events. Both sets of parent in their health also liked to travel, and when they couldn't, were role models for exploring your own back yard with local day trips and drives. I want to build interests that are a mix of doing for others, doing with my family and friends, and doing just for me.
  10. Maintain positive family and friend relationships and expand social networks. People are at the heart of a quality life. Knowing that when my kids come home we enjoy our time together and the time with our siblings and their family. Having friends to meet up with or stop over, go for walks with adds a social safety net when the sad times come, and people in our life leave us, the inevitability of retirement. This is by far the most important  tip for ensuring a smooth retirement, because if I don't have people I love in my life to use my new retirement time with, I might as well keep working. I think that is why some people do put off retirement and not really to do with money at all.
I'm not an expert and the people I am reading are not either. They do have life experience and that is as expert as I need. While no two families or people are the same when it comes to retirement, we all need to incorporate what works and is doable for us. If I am moderately successful following the 10 points of guidance I gleaned, DH and I should have a pretty good remaining life. 

20 comments:

  1. biggest mistake I made was taking social security at 62. This traps you to forever living out the rest of your retirement with less money. Not a good thing. In retrospect, I should have used my savings more to get me to my full retirement age of 66.5 and then put in for social security. The extra income would have made a better difference in the quality of my life. By retiring at 62 I have to lean on my retirement money to get me through the month. This is the quickest way to run out of money in your older years.
    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a follow up post coming. I did number crunching on ss and my pension. It is a big point you make.

      Delete
    2. And I, however, have absolutely no regrets on taking my social security as early as possible. In my take I took my husbands, but on the first date I could. I expect to be doing less and traveling less as I age and probably downsizing again. The same thing for my federal pension. I took it as early as I could. If you look up the statistics, more of us are happy we did that sorry we did.

      Delete
  2. I am living for the day when i don't have enough to do! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your woek now maybe will be part for pleasure. I doubt you'll reach a boredom point ever.

      Delete
    2. Ha, businer now than with a full time job some weeks

      Delete
    3. I think I've counted four, minimally part time jobs for you, so that makes two full time.

      Delete
  3. Also medicare does not start til 65. So you will need insurance.I started collecting at 62 contiued working to put ss in savings. Well that blew up when my husband had an accident and was disabled unable to work. We are making ends meet. but insurance is what you really need to have. Joyce ps nice article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have considered that in budgeting but edited above to capture explicitly. I'm sorry things are so tight for you. Did your job not cover him when you were working when he had the accident?

      Delete
    2. NO had no insurance and he was just laid off work days before and canceled his insurance the company. Could not get unemployment because he could not work. We were able to get thru it we had no debt had savings. Got lawyer since driver was at fault lost control and hit him on his motorcycle. Driver had bad ty rod worked for company as a sub contractor. Company told him to finish his delivery knowing of the problem. Live everyday to its fullest. Joyce

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have some solid plans! It's great that you're prioritizing your retirement, even while you help your kids. Not enough people are doing that, which is the subject of one of my upcoming posts. I too would advise caution when choosing to take Social Security early, but obviously it's a personal choice and one where you have to do the math yourself and make the choice about what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm running numbers and calculating cash needs to hold off ss and pension. There are so many variables.

      Delete
  5. That’s a great list, I’m 62, my husband is 67; both retired, we prepared to retire , we planned and planned, then life happened, the best advice is to be prepared yes but don’t forgive to live for today as well. We were over zealous with our planning for a few years, financially it was a great thing but we eased up when we realized we were resenting the process we had chosen. Live in the moment but put away for tomorrow, it comes fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Laurie. If you've read some if my blog, you'll see we are pretty good at spending in the now as well. So far, no resentment but I am always juggling savings and doing.

      Delete
  6. I may be off on a different tack to your other commentators but I was always capable of living within my means - the problem for me was that my (ex)husband wasn't. But once he was gone I re"lived" within my means and kept plodding on. I seriously think that that mindset allowed me to retire this Christmas because I just kept doing the boring stuff. You have often commented on my blog so I know you know my story, but I think if you keep aiming high (and often failing), your "average" will be good enough to get you there. I don't know if I'm making sense! It may not be the retirement you had envisaged but it will be good enough. I had planned to go 2 years later than I did - very comfortably - but ultimately, leaving 2 years earlier on much, much less money was not only doable but also manna sent from heaven. Life may not always fit into perfect boxes but rough around the edges might just be good enough too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health insurance, copays, and deductibles are my biggest future unknowns to live in our means. I too will be happy with good enough.

      Delete
  7. I laughed when you described the scatter-brained blogger you read! I know exactly who you're referring to! But yes, some good tips come through occasionally! I'm thinking bi-polar??? ;-)
    We retired at 48 & 58. We don't have kids, so we were pretty focused on retiring early. Probably started planning 10 years prior - we did/do work with a financial planner. They have been really great. Hubby won't take SS until he's 70 - not sure when I will, as we are now 57 & 67. We have zero debt, and actually MORE income than when husband worked - due to a "deferred compensation" plan they offered the executives. We saved 50% of his salary for about 17 years. Which now pays out monthly for 15 years (from retirement) in addition to his pension. So our income will continue to go up once he starts collecting SS @ 70 - we'll still get the deferred comp for another 3 years after than (till he's 73). You really can't start planning too soon. I agree with you that you should definitely put your retirement savings first before the kids education expenses. Like they say - you can always borrow for tuition, but you can't borrow for retirement. I'm glad you have that figured out. And because we have been so fortunate & blessed, we are helping our 2 nieces/2 nephews with their college expenses - we'll pay tuition, mom & dad will pay their room/board. They are the beneficiaries to our estate when we die, so I said to husband why not give them some of it now to help them get a good start with no college debt. And we'll get to see the results of our investment!! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also knew who you were talking about it. Bi polar and possibly very unhappy under it all. There are too many posts complaining about those who share things about their happy retirement.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, I wasn't vague enough, but as I was thinking about one blogger in particular, there are more than one that come to mind that seem to flip flop in their advice. But I am not and should not judge as I'm sure my posts are all over the sun!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.