Friday, May 24, 2019

Plans for a Long Weekend-Recipe of Sorts

With an extra day off work on Monday, in honor and memory of US  veterans that did not make it home, I feel more than just leisure should be observed. DD2 and I will go up to the cabin after I'm done with work. She and some friends are doing a little gathering for one of her junior guy friends birthday after school, but she already told them she needs to make an early exit. We'll just grab a few groceries on route and a sandwich and hopefully be there by 8:30 or so. If the rain holds off, we'll have a fire and a few cocktails (me and any grown-ups-not the kiddo). If it is pouring, we'll probably watch a movie or play cards. DD1 will already be there but I'm not sure of the plans of the rest of the extended family, but mostly likely by Saturday  all will be there. I'm going to come home though Saturday night, literally  passing DH as he comes up. DD2 will come home with him.

We'll give the inside of the cabin a good clean, more just regular housework since the cabin is used semi regularly all year now. Outdoor stuff will depend on the weather but there's mowing and weed pulling and the dock to be put in. We'll also give the sleeping area over the garage, which tends to get buggy and unfortunately, other visitors over the winter, a good clean. Once home, Sunday I'll do the same to my house, but also tackle a major room clean out in my bedroom and the bathroom. I'll also keep working on the photo projects.

I don't know what others will bring up, but I'm going for simple. I came across this recipe for an easy idea to make Grilled Foil Wrapped Fajitas.  Something like this is perfect for the lake with a variety of eaters. We can prep all the veg, put in bowls and let everyone  select their own, throw on the grill, have sides and dinner is done. My vegan daughter and my massive carnivore brother in law can each  create the  right meals for themselves. So not really a recipe but a pretty easy concept.



What are your plans? Are you home or away? Will you visit any services or events for the holiday? I hope your weekend is a good one.


12 comments:

  1. Have a lovely weekend. You could use the break I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The break was not at the cabin and I'm getting stuff done at home, so a break of a different sort perhaps.

      Delete
  2. I love the fajitas idea. Sounds great!

    The boys have a soccer tournament on Saturday, so we'll be doing that. On Sunday, I leave to take my mom to Las Vegas. Super looking forward to the rare mother/daughter time, with no kiddos. The kids are wonderful, but mean it's hard to ever really have time with just my mom. She's thrilled about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fajitas didn't quite pan out but mostly because everyone was in different places and no time to have folks assemble before throwing on the grill. I think we just had too big a group. We ended up just roasting all the vegetables and meat and everyone just assembled-it was a very big hit though. Have a great time in Vegas with your mom.

      Delete
  3. I live at the seashore ( Cape May New Jersey ) so this is the unofficial start of summer and will get VERY crowded, especially since the temps will be in the 70-80 range. Unusual for this time of year. Still a bit cold to swim in the Atlantic Ocean or Delaware Bay, but will be sitting on the beaches. No family visiting this weekend, so plan on doing some sewing to take some cloths in due to a 80+ pound weight loss, going out for some drinks and snacks and check out some new bars. Maybe some cleaning and getting ready for when family comes, by doing some cooking and freezing. We do have nightly flag ceremonies don here that are very touching, so hope to get to one of them if not too much traffic. Just a laid back time. All needed shopping has been done. I hope you enjoy your additional day off. I used to love long weekends when I was working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your location sounds lovely! Congratulations on the weight loss-I am plugging away like a very slow turtle.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy, but get some you time also. Like maybe three cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had three little single serve wines Friday-so three exactly.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your time at the cabin! We'll be catching some fireworks tonight. I work a few hours tomorrow but hopefully we can squeeze in time for an evening bonfire around the raindrops. Sunday is Fish For Free Day in Pennsylvania so we will take advantage of that-again, weather permitting. I work all day Monday but it's good money. Hubby will grill out at some point. School year has ended so our schedules will become more of a suggestion than a standard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't a leisure weekend, but hopefully the next times we come will be. You may not know about the family relations in DH's side-I enjoy the cabin, but the extended family can be too much for me so I need very small doses of the rest of them.

      Delete
  6. I am away visiting friend in Flagstaff - there is snow predicted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little geographically challenged, but there are mountains there right?

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.