Saturday, June 29, 2019

Let's Do Some Norming

     This is the last weekend we have graduation parties. I've lost count on how many I've attended, but all have been good and I'm happy to have been included in celebrating with the graduate and their families. This morning I'm going to spend a couple hours putting the house to rights. Nothing overwhelming, but every room needs a dust, a sweep or vacuum, and just general clutter in mismatched places needs to be put back to the correct places. I had an awful delay on route home Thursday night, or should I say Friday morning, not pulling into my driveway until 3:15 a.m. I slept for five hours, showered, and went into the office until 4:00. Needless to say, I made it an early night after a brief appearance at my sisters retirement party. I guess we were there for nearly two hours, so not that brief. It feels like a weekend, the last of the first half of 2019, to start normalizing again. 

     As part of cleaning, I'll tackle the refrigerator. We had kept it lean leading up to hosting our own party and then I managed to keep leftovers at bay. I see a lot of containers and packaging on different shelves and it looks messy. Before I do any meal planning, having a fresh clean refrigerator is needed. Likewise with laundry. I see laundry in baskets and in little mounds on the floor in the laundry room, the upper bathroom, and both our bedrooms. I got a load in after work before the party of the clothes in my suitcase, but realized this morning they were still in the washer. I hung most to line dry. DH and DD2 left clean but unfolded clothes on the card table behind the couch in the family room. I think I will take the table down. It was meant to have a place for board games or cards as kids stopped over and hung out, but I fear it is just going to be a dumping ground for laundry when no one wants to take the time to fold at the moment it comes out of the dryer. My closet shelves still need another round of purging-perhaps I'll get to that this weekend as well. 

     We are thinking of going to the lake either tonight or tomorrow morning. His sister has a family wedding, which means it is unlikely any of them will be there. Since it will be so hot, a day at the lake would be nice with fewer people. My work week will be three full days, a day off, then a very quiet Friday since most people will be on vacation to turn the July 4th holiday into a three day weekend. It is really quite nice working Friday's in the office. I'm always productive because there are so few interruptions, and it has a weekend feel so people are in good moods. June was a busy month in all parts of my life. July is set to be low commitment, low needs, and just hopefully time for reading, a few projects around the house, relaxing on weekends, and enjoying life. What about you Are you looking forward to July? Does anyone have any travel plans or hosting plans?

8 comments:

  1. It always feels so good when a boom time is over.Here is to a relaxing July before the August "get the daughter off to school " flurry of activities.
    After the crazy week in June with so many people staying at our house, we plan on having a calm July. I guess we will see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of coming home after work, getting a task or two done, going for a walk and then a casual dinner sounds like a perfect life plan to me right now! Living the dream.

      Delete
  2. I'm still in the "vacation/travel" stretch of my sabbatical. I'm back from Hawaii, and at the Oregon coast. I hosted my mom, and today we're heading to the airport to pick up M. We'll drive home next Saturday. After that, it will be a bit calmer in July, which I'm looking forward to! I have a bunch of life chores to catch up on, even though the trips have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we don't have a true vacation week, just lots of extended weekends, I'm going to focus on making each night a little mini refresh. DD2 starts her works days very early, and I plan to get into the office earlier as well so I can be home closer to 5 or 5:30, giving us a lot of quality evening time, since her dad works late three nights a week. As her schedule always, I'm hoping my older daughter joins us as well.

      Delete
  3. I'll be running around like crazy for the next couple of weeks with son no. 2s wedding and visitors from overseas. I have been working hard to get rid of cr*p for quite sometime, in part because of the visitors but also because after that I'm having my whole heating system replaced so need to get shedloads of stuff out of here. I have actually got rid of so much stuff (but you wouldn't think it)! Glad things have calmed down a little for you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading about the wedding. Major life events put a major change in anyone's life. I can't imagine hosting people in my house as well. good luck to you.

      Delete
  4. July will be fairly quiet except a visit from Son #3 for five days plus our annual fishing trip which he will be involved in. Also Mom has eye surgery on her other cataract so hopefully that will go smoothly. No travel until August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely that your son#3 can join the fishing trip. I love reading about that trip each year. We'll do some of the town exploring we have talked about doing for years but with my older daughter in another state or country for so many years, wasn't possible Now, we have our Saturdays ahead of us.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.