Saturday, June 15, 2019

The Party's Over

     And like that, the graduation party is done and in the memory bank. Good thing as I was so busy that I didn't take a single picture and forgot to ask others to snap a few on my behalf. Thank you all for your kind words and motivational words. Despite literally working right up until (and then into the first guests arriving) DH, DD2, and myself were able to enjoy the party. DD1 though gets all the credit for that. She was incredible, overseeing the kitchen, ensuring nothing ever ran out, directing others who offered help. If you are  a fan of the show Friends, you will understand when I say she is Monica. The help didn't start with the night of the party as she also made a delicious pasta salad that was devoured, prepped all the vegetables the night before while DH and I went to pick up the tent. came early and helped set up the tent with her dad and brother, prepped fruit, finished pasting down pictures for a poster board display, and general helped do last minute cleaning. Words are not enough to describe how much I love that  child! 

     We had a great turn out. People I wasn't really expecting to come came, though of course some we thought would be there must have had conflicts. A childhood friend of mine who I hadn't seen in over a decade made it. That was a wonderful surprise.The bulk of people were there in the first hour, but there were trickles of new arrivals though out the night. At one point I had all 60 chairs filled, plus dozens standing, or playing yard games. Then, we got a few sprinkles, then a 20 minute downpour. People huddled under the tent, which was wonderful because the sides went down a bit. Other crammed inside my smallish house, down in the lower level family room, the living room, or generally  standing about. Once the rain stopped, I had a load of help with towels, drying off tables and chairs, and the party continued without skipping a beat. Based on the amount of buns and plates I went through, Id say I fed 120 people the meal with many of the kids in and out for deserts, fruit, and the chocolate dip if they had already eaten at any of the other parties. . 

     The chocolate fountain didn't work, but we just used small dip size crock pot. It was less impressive, which I felt a little disappointed about because DD2 had really wanted one. She was unphased though, and the chocolate was delicious. The brand was Sephora Dark Melting chocolate. It was not cheap, but worth it for actual chocolate and not the fake tasting stuff. Plus, don't believe the reviews that said a  two pound bag only fed 20 adults and children. I don't know if they were eating it by the spoonful, but I only went through one 2 pound bag and have three in reserve. It's a best by date of next spring so I'll use for chocolate strawberries as the summer goes on, plus Christmas cooking. The desert bars were all tasty with sisters and sister-in-laws, and DD1 again, providing all. I had much variety and lots of brownies, including DD1's vegan version-really delicious, including Special K, Rice Krispy, bananas, Carmelita, and lemon bars. I have leftovers and encouraged people to take their leftovers with them as we had a tray still made up, but most left them behind. Let's just say, I will not be cooking for a while with  the amount of food leftover. I froze six large freezer bags or storage containers of meat, plus another large  container that I'll bring to the lake Sunday for Fathers day. 

     DD1 ended up going to her own home, though considered staying over, but decided sleeping in her own bed would be better. She has laundry and packing to do as she heads to Iceland Sunday night, meeting a grad school friend form London. DS is here until Monday night. He too was a big help, setting up the tent, as he does a lot of that as part of his job on production sets, and was the "beer guy." He and DD1 later made  a fire for the graduate and friends, many who stayed well past midnight. I kept saying in this blog, even though in my head the worry was still happening, that I would settle for good enough. Well, there were dozens of projects that didn't get complete. We had bathroom issues in both. We had the dousing of rain and a fountain that didn't work, and my brother and his wife arriving an hour early because they thought the party started at 5:00 and they are usually the first to arrive. Still, despite all these things, as I cleaned up the crocks (still have a roaster soaking), I can declare a success. 




20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely time! :) Congratulations again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. It was a very nice night.

      Delete
  2. What a great graduation party. So glad everything turned out so well. Definitely memories built as a new path starts for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole weekend with my family was very special.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful turnout! I didn't even have that many people at my wedding. lol. Glad it all went well. Congratulations all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she is a pretty likeable kid. I was very happy with the kid turnout. She is quite quiet and flies under the radar, but she is genuine and kind, and I think she is respected by her peers for those qualities.

      Delete
  4. So ya see! It was great! Can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-since I didn't get nay as I was so busy, there are none to post. I did manage us getting a family photo right before taking my daughter tot he airport for her trip.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful time. I am sure your daughter appreciates all the effort you put into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did and thanked each of us abundantly.

      Delete
  6. Having a Rachel at the party to help was wonderful. I am glad everything turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's my Monica-the super organized, get it done sort.

      Delete
  7. So glad you and your family survived/had a good time! I am sure your daughter will love remembering it and now, maybe, your life can resume as normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By 9:00 the next day it was as if a party had never happened-expect for the leftovers which we will be eating for the coming days, and stuff in freezer-all summer.

      Delete
  8. You did it! Good for you. Yes every party has its problems but you look back on those and laugh. So happy this is over for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, only minor ones that were out of my hands anyway. The graduation season has been lucky for most hosting parties.

      Delete
  9. So glad you had a real good time and congrats on having raised such nice kids. Hope, they all have bright paths ahead of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older two were such a great deal of help. I'm very appreciative of them both, and know how much they love their sister so were happy to help.

      Delete
  10. So happy to hear that the party was a success. And, what a gift to have your other kids help out, especially your older daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.