Monday, June 17, 2019

Two Days-Nothing Scheduled

     I took today and tomorrow off as well. I  had four and 1/2 weeks of vacation banked before last week and am using less than a full week, plus will accrue more, keeping nearly four weeks in my bank.DS is here until 6:30 tonight and DH took today off as well, though now he will be down to just four more vacation days for the rest of the calendar year. I might be wrong on that as he may have swapped a Thursday for a Friday for a couple of the show choir trips, and reserved another day or two. I'm sure both he and my son will sleep in so I'm puttering here and then will put the pictures back in her baby and child books, and stack all her more recent photos for her to decide how she wants to keep them. That's the only remnant of the party to complete. I had a lot of blue and gold paper ware left unopened-bought too much, but it is bagged and will go to a friend who is hosting her daughters part on the 29th. The full class panoramic picture is being loaned to another friend who didn't know the picture could be ordered. and she will display it next week. 

     DD1 is in Iceland. I was happy to get the message that she landed. She hadn't said if she met up with her UK friend yet, but their flights were near the same time. What an adventure she will have. She really deserves the time off work as she had no transition when she changed jobs last fall, and after helping so much last week. DD2 is at work until 12:00. She mostly has the early 6:30-11;30 or until 12:00 shift. Occasionally she will only work until 9:30, but then will have to go back from 2:30-6:00, as her job as a summer day camp assistant, three, sometimes four days a week. She'll work between 15 and 20 hours a week. She was feeling a little guilty because other kids are working a second job (though she is on call for my sisters golf club), and she isn't even scheduled for half time. She will soon be starting her on-line book discussion for college though, for which she will need time. Yes, she could have tried to find a second summer job, or one that she got more hours, but I'm happy to have her weekends and night mostly free as of yesterday, it was just 10 weeks until we move her in to her dorm.  

     I have just spent two paragraphs basically stating I have nothing on the calendar for two solid days. I know I will be swamped catching up the rest of the week at work and preparing for my business trip. Today and tomorrow though, I'm not going to let that interfere with my time off. I plan to do some reading and some more writing. I'll get to the blogs I have woefully neglected. I want to give my house a repeat cleaning, dusting, and vacuuming. I have several cards to get mailed out for the parties we were not able to attend. I'll help DD2 find addresses as she writes and sends her thank you cards. We're taking the kids out for a late lunch today, sans DD1 and I'll be a mom again to my 30 year old and pop his clothes in the wash so he doesn't get home late tonight needing to do laundry before he starts a new gig job. Tomorrow, I think I'll take DD2 and her friend M, the one who stayed with us for a bit a few years ago, her bestie, out for coffee or something and give her present. She opted for a trip instead of a party. I may take a nap. 

     That is my nothingness post, with two blank calendar days. How is your Monday and week starting out? Have you done meal planning and prep? Are you gearing up for any vacations? I feel like I have been away and can't wait to get caught up with everyone. 

14 comments:

  1. Glad you can rest a bit after all the excitement and busy days. Mine is going to be a lazy week. I am going to vote on Sunday. On Monday, mom and I will be driving over to Izmir for a few weeks to spend at my sister's. Need to pack a suitcase with bathing suits and what not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH, love hearing packing that is bathing suits. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I desperately need to go to the dentist for a broken tooth...just for him to look at it. And, something is wrong with my eye! I sure hope I can get an appointment for that. I may just walk in so I can be seen instead of calling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you deserve down time more than anybody.
    Kids STILL in school--youngest has a field trip today. School gets out a week from Tuesday. According to DD, H.S. is little more than watching movies, and that was confirmed by her brothers. My senior checks out of class on Tuesday. Graduation is on Friday, and he is still convinced he is not going. His quarter at the CC ended last week, with just one paper left to turn in, due on the 19th. He opted to take a summer course: Botany, Plants of the Pacific Northwest. He needs a lab science for a transfer degree, and this one sounds fascinating. Plus, it will allow him to have a lighter fall quarter. The course runs July 1 - 24, with full day hikes each weekend. I'd love to join him, but the class is full, with 9 people on the wait list! Of note: The professor earned his BA at Macalester, which made me think of you. Macalester was on one of my siblings' radar, but he chose a school in Virginia instead. I do wish my DS was experiencing the thrill of choosing where to go--those days were so exciting. But, this college experience has been great for him. He loves his school now, and his grades reflect that. There are several four-year programs available on campus as well. He has no idea what he wants to do yet, but is slowly starting to understand that this uncertainty is in itself a good reason to go to college. I am excited about his fall quarter classes--two very different courses. At first he voiced the opinion that it made no sense. I don't know who he had been listening to, because I can't think of a better time to explore curriculum options than your freshman year in college, particularly at a school where tuition is 1/10 of say, my alma mater.
    In other news, our final inspection was Friday. The last remaining things are shower doors and bathroom mirrors, and the completion of the construction clean. (Included in our contract.) On Saturday, I did a lot of landscaping, then worked on cleaning two rooms. I had no idea how important the post construction clean was. It took me three passes to get the construction dust off the floors. Bear I mind these floors had builder's cardboard over them to protect them! Our movers come Friday to move big things--no packing, which means I am going to be swamped. Sadly, I woke up yesterday sick as a dog--headache, nausea. I spent the whole day in bed, which makes me feel like I am behind. I haven't even begun to box up anything!
    Whew, didn't mean to write a tome! Enjoy your time off. Congratulations to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you were not well. There is nothing worse than feeling behind, but you needed to take the day or it could have gotten worse. I agree exploring options in a freshman year is good. Maybe he'll end up finding his niche. Mine could change her mind multiple times still.

      Delete
  4. My Monday is pretty quiet. I work, but email volumes have been relatively low lately, leaving me a lot of downtime. I'll use it to catch on some blogs too. Then it's off to trivia in the evening.

    It's a quiet -- and slightly nerdy -- life, but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new to me Wednesday night trivia outing is a staple now in my calendar. Sadly, I have a conflict the next two weeks. It is a good eclectic bunch.

      Delete
  5. Four and a half weeks! - you need to start figuring out how to use them my friend, you need some time off. Enjoy your two days in the mean time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some down time the week before we move DD2-two of her days off, and two for me. The rest of the summer willnot be so laid back, though I hope to use my Friday Flex days much better. Really. I'll end the summer with as much vacation as I am starting practically.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy! Take a nap, read a book go for a walk, but enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son left a book that he read that sounds interesting, but I need to finish book club book. We will head tot he river with the dog at some point today. We all enjoy that.

      Delete
  7. You have been working hard. Enjoy a little downtime!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.