Monday, October 21, 2019

New Tricks for Old Dogs



     I mastered the pie crust! Well, it wasn't perfect but better and without the stress I usually face when trying to make a crust from scratch. I used the perfect oil crust recipe I linked yesterday. I have to say though, the simple trick of rolling the dough between two pieces of wax paper, after letting the dough get very chilled, was the key. Did the pie still pull away from the edges? Yes, a bit. Did I figure out how to get the lovely scallop pie crimping? No, but my fork tines worked well enough. Did I sprinkle a touch to much nutmeg in my mixture-yes, but learned my family likes nutmeg. Did the pie have a nice golden brown tone? No, but my daughter is vegan so I wasn't sure what I could brush over the top and chose way to late in the baking cycle that a sugar water brush would do the trick. The biggest pain was the small apples, thanks to so much rain, and having to peel and slice  several more. I still did too many, and using the scraps of dough, I made a couple little unkept, oddly formed turnovers with the rest of the apples.


     Would Paul Hollywood, Mary Berry, and Pru call my creations "a bit messy"? Yes, absolutely. Do I care? Not a bit. I  finally had a crust that was flaky and for the most part, was able put over the plate and then filling in one go without ugly piecing and overworked toughness. This old dog learned a new trick-never thought oil could be used in pie crust. Now for my next trick, a chicken pot pie!

13 comments:

  1. The elusive pie crust. I really need to attempt it again, was supposed to last month but it didn't happen. I like the rolling out trick between the wax paper. It looks tasty, I am sure your family was thrilled to have homemade pie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope it wasn't a fluke, but this worked for me.

      Delete
  2. Nice! I've definitely struggled with making pie crust before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of us do it seems. I'm glad I'm not alone and maybe this version will work for you.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a great looking pie crust, Sam. I too have yet to conquer this and have it on my to do list. My grandmother said she never could do a pie crust, so I didn't try either, but I want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the ingredients are always on hand, it seemed like I was wasting good opportunity.

      Delete
  4. I think it looks beautiful!
    When making a late season pie or turnover with gleaned apples, (apples from the beneath our trees which are not fit for eating fresh) I don't bother to peel them. I just cut away the skin, core, and any mushy parts. It saves a TON of time, and nobody in my house cares what the apples look like in the crust. For this reason, I don't bother putting the apples in lemon juice and water while I'm working to prevent browning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the peels just soften up when baking? Great tip.

      Delete
    2. No, I cut around the peel....chop the apples, chop off the core, chop off the peel part, chop off any mushy/scabby/possibly wormy part. It's less apple to work with, but as I'm using gleaned apples from the ground, amount isn't a problem.

      Delete
  5. I think you did a great job my friend. My grandmother owned restaurants and I remember my aunts making 40 pies in one night. We had a big oven and one in the garage. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine. I have pie respect for my sister who makes four at Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  6. Your pie looks delicious! I'm not able to master the pie crust crimping either so like you, I use the fork:)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.