Friday, December 27, 2019

Cautious Spend January

     
Graphic by Shutterstock.com

     New  year, new goals, new opportunities. We do need to tighten our belts in 2020-there is no doubt there. DH still is not well. He worked Monday, came home early and crashed to watch the pathetic Vikings game. Worked until 2:00 on Christmas Eve, but then had a two hour nap before we went to my sisters. There, he only made it 90 minutes before heading home and was sound asleep when we got home several hours later. He even left his mom's by 5:00-which was probably at least an hour too late, and again, was sleeping when we got home at 7:00. Yesterday was his day off and he literally stayed in bed until noon, then was wiped out after we took DS and DD2 over to the  bar and grill for beers (not DD2), wings, and dinner at 6:00. He got up to say goodbye to DS who had a 6:40 flight, but was back asleep when I got back an hour later from driving  our son to the airport. 

     Even if the store stays open, which I think it now will as they recruited a former sales person to come back and I don't think they would have done so if they intended to close, I think DH needs to focus on a March 2021 retirement, when he reaches 59 1/2. That means I want to heavily boost our cash savings balance while still investing in the Roth. Maybe they'll figure out what is going on with his fatigue, and be able to help him feel strong again, but best to have plans to support him being able to do what we need for his health. Quite frankly, the way he has been living in December, March 2021 seems too far for a real change if he doesn't feel better. I know the thought of going on any sort of disability would be very frustrating to him, but is an option as we have a private plan plus he may qualify for early SSI. I don't want to think like this, but I would rather not stick my head in the sand and know we have researched options. 

     Where am I going with this? Oh yes No Spend January's are popping up all over the blog world. This is where to get a jump start on a financial health, a person vows to not spend a penny on anything but basic needs/required bills for the entire month. It sounds good, but I just don't think it will work for our life. First of all, college tuition is due January 15th and books along with this. I am sure DD2 might need a special binder or something-students always do, so while college payments come out of other funds, there are still additional costs. She did phenomenally well not  spending extra throughout her first semester taking advantage of the free entertainment on campus, using her dining plan fully as to not spend money on pizza and expensive coffee off campus. We've discussed how important this is for her so that the little money she makes with her on campus job, mostly is adding to her future study abroad costs, and she gets it. Her birthday is in January. My niece/god daughter is getting married in March and I'm hosting her shower with the help of her sister and my daughter, the maid's of honor, and my sisters (which really helps spread the costs) but there's still decorations and invitations. I and my daughter are very close to this niece/cousin so we want it to be very special.

     Then there is opportunity savings I would not want to pass up. If I make any resolutions for 2020 it is to not spend stupidly and utilize perks and coupons. January is a big month for clearance items that can be used year round. Why spend more in May and June for items that might be a clearance item from last year to make room for new stock? Items I am actively seeking are a few new beach towels as a few of ours are ridiculously thin, a new swimsuit cover up for me, though I am happy with an extra large tee and shorts. Instead of No Spend January, I'm calling it, Cautious Spend January. While for me No Spend is not realistic, not buying things just because they are cheap is a must; there must be purpose. We still need entertainment, but will look for low cost, already paid for (memberships and gift cards), or even free options. My food budget might be a bit higher as I figure out better cooking, but after a while, I think I'll get prep down, and can go back to a lower spending rate. 

     I'd love to tuck away/invest at least $36,000 this year. I'll settle for fully funding the Roth and $6,000 in cash, but either can likely happen only if DH can keep working at least 50% of what he did last year. Other than college and our trip to Vegas in November, we only have regular life stuff for spending. Free time will be inexpensive time. Vacations will be lake time. I'll start 2020 with Cautious Spend January and  look to whittle down our expenses for the rest of the year. 

14 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear your husband is still unwell, sending best wishes and I hope you manage to find a solution to the fatigue.

    I agree with you about a no spend month, it's not something that would work for me either. As you say, I'm not going yo not buy something at x goid price now just because I've said it's a no spend month - I own a house, there's always something. I do enjoy reading about things like that though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading ascwell as Im still motivated to cut out extra spending.

      Delete
  2. I was hoping your DH would be feeling better, sounds like not so much. Thank goodness you have a good job. I think preplanning for early retirement might be a good plan for him, then if he rebounds and wants to continue working so be it. My bank account is rather depleted until mid January, it does appear we will have increases in our pay by then but until then my belt is quite tight as well. We still have tons of treats in the house and other than buying a few staples like skinless boneless chickenbreast (which I couldn't get into the freezer until the turkey was gone) the freezer is full of good things to eat. May 2020 be better for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday he worked all day, said he felt best yet, but still was in bef by 8. Little wins though.I still will be quite discerning wjen I buy stuff and use what we have.

      Delete
  3. I can attest that chronic fatigue (which may be CF syndrome or something else, is very frustrating. There often is no immediate diagnosed cause and from the outside it's easy to be judged as not taking care of yourself or being a layabout. I hope they can find something that is causation for him....I'm not into the no spend month but I DO now make an annual month by month plan with a page for each month on upcoming expenses so I can leave money there if needed,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im going to try a physical envelope system for next years Christmas. Too many expenses are rolling into 2020.

      Delete
  4. I would implore you to continue to try and find out what's going with your husband. (Which you probably are). This is not the normal post flu/viral illness, does he have like a viral cardiomyopathy since he needed fluid pills? You are so close to Mayo, I'm a nurse and always recommend second opinions and leaving no stone unturned if improvements aren't seen or things just don't seem right. I'm sorry but things just don't seem right. (Sorry to come off this strong)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's back on Monday. The plan was to get lungs fluid clear and see what improved before adding more tests. I agree, this has been a long time for s previously healthy man.

      Delete
  5. One of my life lessons over the past few years has been proactivity - rather than waiting to see what happens, approaching the situation from total compassion - for yourself and for him. What would loving yourself and loving him completely look like? What actions would you take to support his health? What decisions would you make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In planning for more cash and retirement funds, it takes pressure of him to feel like he needs to keep working. His quality of life in December should be his wake-up call to take his health seriously. I'm doing what I can to support.

      Delete
  6. Did you husband have pneumonia? My doctor told both Hub's and I that getting over a lung virus or bacteria is very difficult and some people never recover fully. I have had friends that took months to recover. I know this last cold really wiped me out. I think the exhaustion was the worst part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruled out pneumonia. He is very bothered by the fatigue. I hope your feeling stronger.

      Delete
  7. I pray you and hubs get through this season of illness and fatigue.

    Low spend January for me as well (I have tried the no spend thing and it doesn't work for me). Freezers are inventoried and we have plenty of food. DH is out of town another week-ish so saving money on not making dinner which is the most expensive meal.
    I will be paying closer attention to grocery shopping and meal planning as I have 4 smallish debts that I plan to have gone in 6 months as long as he can find jobs and get paid in a timely manner.
    Just one day at a time because making plans too far ahead just doesn't work for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just purchased a few things at target to stock my desk. It is so nice if I happen to forget , or work late, to have something to warm up. Probably not the most nutritious, but if it saves a food stop on the rout home, it is good.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.