Saturday, December 14, 2019

Living My Best Life on a Budget



     I've been watching YouTube videos by this spunky young British girl, Sophie, who starts every video with two peace signs up and says, "living my best life on a budget". Isn't that what so many of us are trying to do? We all have different means, different wants, and different priorities, but I doubt any of us have enough freedom to spend without the thought to maximize our dollar. With the realization that at anytime in 2020 DH could be without  a job, I'm looking at each area of our budget and trying to see where we can pinch a bit more without sacrificing our best life. 

     I feel like I am the queen of mini challenges. My grocery challenges keep me from loading up on stuff that might end up being pitched in the garbage. My no new clothes  challenge for 2020 was mostly successful, other than a few blips like a new to me denim skirt and a t-shirt, but I'm staying under my $60 target. There's some things in the budget that are hard to  get lower. I have to drive to work and we are all at the mercy of the oil companies. We have property taxes and utilities, college tuition, household and groceries. Still, we can look for the lower costs without sacrificing value. I can keep my heat low and put a sweater on, and in the summer, raise the air conditioner temp, or try to maximize cool breezes. I can keep filling up the gas tank with discount coupons, even  as little as five cents lower makes a difference. I can make sure to maximize my trips in the car so I'm not burning gas needlessly. Here's some areas that I hope to reduce overall spending in 2020 with an aim to  knock $100 a month/$1,200 annually off our average cash flow.

  • Car gasoline-use coupons, cut out enough extra trips to reduce by 40 miles a month, or 10% of a tank. This would save $74 for the year
  • Gas and electric-lower thermostat to 65, air conditioner up to 75. We are pretty wasteful. Knocking just 10% off our costs would yield $170 a year.
  • Gift Giving-Make a master list for the full year so as I find items that might be good gifts, I can consult my list. I also can leave the item behind if not  appropriate for anyone instead of buying it because of the "good deal" mentality. Even just lowering my per person budget by $2-$10, we could decrease spending by $100 or more.
  • Entertainment and meals out- We just simply need to decrease both of these and think of better ways to be entertained. We certainly have enough streaming options, so movies out should be rare. This is not about being anti-social, but about finding interesting ways that do not cost a lot, to spend our free time. Saving $75 from our current $200 plus a month average in both categories would be a hefty cash flow boost of $900.
  • Continue to challenge myself and my wardrobe. Sure, I can't be as low as $60 again, but even if I tripled it, and worked with DH to keep his purchases to under $400 (mostly on shoes), we can get by on less than $600 a year. 
  • Plug the holes on stupid spending. These include late fees at the library, not taking the time to turn in parking receipts and mileage (a huge pain in the but but it adds up), and vending machine snacks. 
     I'll be more successful in some areas than others. If DH's work prospects change, at least I'll have a start on pinching pennies a bit tighter with a little built in cushion perhaps. And if we skate through another year, I'll just be honing my  thrifty skills that much better. What does your 2020 look like? Are you going to challenge yourself to reduce spending in any area of your budget?

I'm editing this to inlcude a link to one of Sophie's videos. I find her personable, and with a good sense of self. I hope she keeps these qualities as it seems like once some of the YouTubers rise to a certain bit of notariety, they get quite flaky and forget why they started  creating content to begin with and get quite self absorbed. She reminds me in bts of both of my daughters and I can see a bit of my in her sidekick boyfriend helping with the testing out of proucts. 




12 comments:

  1. Please could you let me know details of the youtuber as am currently looking for inspiration and ways of trimming the budget. Thanks Sam
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me-I meant to add a link, so have edited the post.

      Delete
  2. I would also like to know the name of the YouTuber please.

    We are having a big savings push for the next 15 months, so everything is under scrutiny. Look forward to owing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated with the link. She's quite adorable and not pretentious. I'll be following your push as well. With DH so sick, I am really starting to think about what life will be like on one income.

      Delete
  3. It all adds up and really becomes a way of life, trying to stretch money in small ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have a three pronged brain-save money, cut out waste, and live more sustainably. Usually when all three are in balance, I feel in balance.

      Delete
  4. Everything adds up but the biggest help is just saying no to things. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always trying to figure out when it's best to do one or the other. I' trying to say no to more stuff, and yes to more experiences-even if they are not the thriftiest. No to buying yet another cute bag (I have a fondness for totes) and yes to helping my son buy an airline ticket that leaped in price.

      Delete
  5. I just finished scrutinizing our electric bill and was horrified at how much more we spent in 2019 compared to 2018. This is just one of several areas I intend to be more mindful of in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking a look too at our tilities, and more so at the usage as it is hard to just compare price due to inflation or price changes.

      Delete
  6. Dammit I want a budget in 2020; I admire your efforts and industry and hope to emulate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making the budget is the easy part. Sticking to it, not so easy.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.