Thursday, January 16, 2020

The Week in Thrift


     Did I move from thrifty to cheap this last week? I think I did, but it was unintentional. I won't say too much about DH's rogue shops and "good deal' stock-ups as you've heard the stories before. I don't even know when he would have bought these now-maybe on a day when he first got sick, but before he really got sick, but it could have been earlier-yet November. I have not figured out why grocery stores insist on selling yogurt on special in units of ten. Ten is a lot to eat after a shop, and it's a bit ridiculous to sell 10 for $5.00, but charge $ .89 a piece for lesser quantities. Of course DH falls for this and buys 10 yogurt cups, of which he maybe ate one, and the rest just sat in the refrigerator because they were the regular, high sugar, non Greek version DD2, DS, and I eat.I decided I should make a go anyway and I thought I had checked the date-well probably did, but January has already gotten away from me, so no doubt it was weeks ago when I looked and determined them OK.
   
     I'm eating my lunch yesterday, leftover odds and ends, and had brought  a yogurt. I glanced a the Best By date, and it was January 5th. Now I'm sure I am just fine, and it didn't taste bad, but really, 10 days past  the date? I don't remember  how many are left. I suppose they could be used like sour cream in a baked bread or muffin, if I was so inclined to try and salvage. Would you? So I didn't plan to eat past its prime yogurt, but I did, and now I am hoping to not waste more food. I had a few intentional moments of honest thrift this week.

Time
  • I went into work 90 minutes later on Tuesday and avoided much of the traffic, still getting done what needed. It saved at least 10 minutes on a good day, and if I had hit some of the morning "snow traffic" I could have easily spent a lot longer driving.
  • I love the convenience of our Kwik Trip gas and convenience store which also has a small supply of groceries and some staples at reasonable prices. I saved time  and spent the same if not less, stopping there Friday to fill up the car (with a coupon), get milk, bread, and a $5.00 fresh pizza. The Pizza was actually very good-much better than the Dominos a week earlier. I guess they will bake it for you as well, so I could have waited 20 minutes and brought home a ready to eat version.
Resources
  • I used the library Monday night-getting out even though my first impulse was to curl up and stay home. I got a novel for the weekend, great reading in a snow storm, a few organization and budgeting books, and Season 3 of the Swedish TV show The Bridge. I saw the first two season, and at least the first episode of season 3. It is so good, yet disturbing. I've watched an episode (though have fallen asleep and needed to turn it off) the last few nights. I may not get it done before it is due back on Monday.
  • In straightening  out the front closet and in my car, I found a bunch of singleton little black gloves. I washed and matched up two pairs. These get lost so easily and I buy them a dozen at  time every winter as they come in handy tucked in various coats.
  • I used the last portion of refroze Sloppy Joe's for a meal one night, and then as the base for a beefy hotdish another. I ate for supper, and will use for lunch the next couple days. Now I am down to just one big frozen batch from the kids grad party. I'm thinking Super Bowl and call it done.
Money
  • While tight for my H&G budget, I bought  multiple packs of razers, toothpaste, Kleenex, and a great deal on boneless chicken at $1.99 a pound. None of the household items will need to be bought again until March. The chicken is a two week purchase,as I froze 2 3/4 pounds of it and cooked the other for DH's sandwiches and wraps for the week.
  • I paid tuition, room, and board on-line, with the electronic checking, which saved time getting another payment method, and no fee. Credit or debit cards are charged at 2% as well as a bit of a charge for a payment plan. No thank you. Also, her voice lessons and ensemble fees were in the overall  account statement, so I won't have to go back again later as I did in the fall.
  • This should have been last week, but I remembered that DD2 rented as many books as she could, bought one, a dictionary  for Spanish that she will use ongoing, and an e-book through an on-line source that was $90 cheaper than the hard version. If she decides she would later want the book version, she most likely can find a used one.
  • Packed all lunches, snacks, and coffee at home or in a travel mug. This should be the norm, but this week I had no extra purchases at all and for the most part, all lunches were leftover and use it up items.
  • I was really in need of a caffeine boost on Monday, and then again on Tuesday. I used coffee left over (I had bought it) from a December meeting and jerry-rigged a sort of pour over method. It did the job-and I made a cup for a coworker. I still am looking for either a small coffee maker for my office, or a French press.
     In not so great savings area, I wasted both the time and gas to drive the 40 miles round trip as they said it was going to be 3-4 hours for Pup's grooming. I thought they got them in and out, but I guess this groomer does things in a rotation and people just know that's how it works. Since they couldn't complete it, it really was a waste of time. I'll have a similar round trip on Friday, but I do plan to stay put and will splurge on a coffee shop coffee to read and work on some writing. It pays for itself in the gas savings. What thrifty prevailed in your life this past week?

16 comments:

  1. I would not like ten cups of sweetened yogurt. But, I will eat yogurt past its date.

    Funny thing with yogurt. One time I needed plain yogurt for a savory dish and bought a tub of vanilla yogurt by mistake. I could not eat whatever it was I cooked. I tried by threw it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an odd purchase. I wish they sold plain yogurt in smaller containers. The large is often too much for a recipe, and then I have to find things to use it up.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a thrifty week overall.

    I sold quite a bit on eBay that I wasn't expecting, so I've done well with my side hustle. I also checked out books at the library, and did my normal chores. We did splurge on a dinner out (inexpensive - In & Out) to celebrate a good grade for Sam. Otherwise, we've been doing the basics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on selling things on E-bay. PArt of my purge is maybe to find a few items that can be sold to put towards Las Vegas.

      Delete
  3. I only spent $55 at the grocery store to get up through next Friday (1/24). I will only need to get milk and hot dog buns next week. So I will call that a thrifty win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a family of 5, that's impressive. I never could get by that low when all three kids were home.

      Delete
  4. I always eat yoghurt past its due date but then there's only me at home. So far so good. And well done on taking your lunch etc. to work. I pretty always did lunch and breakfast from home too but the times when I didn't even buy a cup of coffee in the cafeteria I was amazed at how much money I had left in my purse at the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may throw it in with some muffins. Sour cream is intentionally old right, and it is great for baking. We have a few folks that relay on our food delivery service 1-2 times a week. At even just 6 times a month, they are spending more on those meals than I spend on a week of groceries for both DH and I. One is a new homeowner, but with two incomes and no kids, I think she doesn't have a cash issue-just not how I would spend money. The other though is a mom of three, and she herself has health issues. I guess the treat is appreciated with her busy life. I shouldn't judge or make assumptions.

      Delete
  5. I wish you lived close to me. I mentioned I would like a french press last year and got 4 of them for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one at Ikea-I talk myself out of it all the time. Sluggy recommended a brand to me once.

      Delete
  6. I think it is more a sell by date. Usually unopened yogurt is good for at least 2 weeks afterwards. I always do the smell test though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had smelled bad, I would have skipped, and I didn't notice until I was well into eating.

      Delete
  7. My 12 cup size French press with extra carafe was a new, full price purchase about 25 years ago that I have never once regretted. I remember asking a girlfriend after a get together if she knew where we could sit with a really nice cup of coffee and a treat one evening and she said "Your place!"
    As for sell by/best by/use by dates--I typically ignore the sell by date, really don't worry about the best by dates, except if it's, say a cake mix, in which case I might add baking powder to make it rise, and usually heed the use by dates, which usually say "Use or freeze by such and such a date." These are generally on meat and seafood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good cup of coffee in my own kitchen is better than anywhere.I think Aldi has some delicious coffees-and a 12 oz bag for about the cost of a large or whatever the term for Starbucks size is.

      Delete
  8. I eat yogurt way past its date. Another idea is to freeze them right in their containers. Then thaw for a day before eating. Great way to not waste yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones were so sweet-and we just plain forgot they were back there.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.