Monday, January 27, 2020

My Home- New Notebook Planning

     Ugh! I did some number crunching in one of my notebooks this week on the outstanding house projects. Once again something is going to need to give. We'll need to concentrate on the must be done items first and make do with lipstick on a pig type updates elsewhere. That might be an exaggeration, but our bedroom, which I would love to redo, is not essential, but could use help. There is nothing technically wrong with the room, just drab and outdated and never really had the retreat like feel most people strive for. Totally cosmetic fixes I should be able to apply with little money, unlike both bathrooms. One needs serious renovation and the other a fix to the ceiling corner and a toilet issue which has made the bathroom practically unusable for guests. We know the little quirks, but it is inconvenient. The deck is a safety issue so either needs a major reinforcement, or to be torn down and either replaced with either a different deck or a patio slab or paving. Currently, doing  a patio is my choice, but then what kind? We could go with a very simple concrete slab or stamped concrete. There's so many options for paving and stone that could look lovely. Since we can't do anything for months, we've got time to do option comparing. 


     Regardless of what we decide, I'd like to get both bathrooms and the deck/patio updates and repairs done by summer so we can enjoy both longer. No doubt our punch list will continue to grow in the years leading up to when we ever decide to relocate, but since that is at least eight years away, no sense holding off enjoying our home during that time. For both projects (or really all three), the décor items such as new towels and accessories and patio furniture, will need to be really on a budget. The above pictures was from my last little spruce up of the upstairs bathroom over three years ago. I'll track via my notebook what is needed, and keep my eyes peeled  for either second hand that can be perhaps upcycled like a garden bench or lounge chairs, or on really discounted prices. I'll also see what I already have that could potentially be repurposed such as wall art or old pillows recovered with more weather resistant coverings rather than new. I bought for 75% clearance outdoor round bulb lights after Christmas. I've seen how people use these to light patios, and I thought ahead to buy the remaining two boxes left. These are the types of finds I hope to uncover and stash away.

     Since we know funds are tight and DH's work is still unstable, we have a limit to how deep we are willing to tap into savings. I'm going to keep looking for little leaks in the budget to fill, and see how much I can separately squirrel away for the accessories. I'll be scouring the  blogs to find ideas from  the folks who are great decorators on a dime. While money will be tight, I know there are creative ways to stretch and five me the  changes that will help me feel great about my home. 

10 comments:

  1. Both my bathrooms desperately need redoing - the shower room more than the bathroom but still they both need refurbishing. So I'm going to start looking soon at the different fittings for each then get my son's friend, Max, to come in and give me a quote. But to be honest the thought of all the upheaval is just a bit too much at the moment. And hopefully if I leave it a bit longer my own son will have the tools to do a lot of the work himself. Would rather pay him than someone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! We have to have one working bath, so I think we should do what we can downstairs as upstairs will be complete chaos. I'm not sure if it is better to do before DD2 is home for the summer, one less person, or if she could be of help.

      Delete
  2. Have you thought about a line of credit- home equity loan so you can get things done quickly and then pay off as soon as you can? I own my house too and took one out for a roof a few years ago- I paid it off within a year. I need to do some more home maintenance- it seems like I'm always paying to have dead trees cut down and here that is like $1500-2000 for just one tree UGH. Last year I had to re-sod my first yard- another UGH! Renting sounds really nice to me at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. While we wouldn't rule it out, we do have a decent set aside for projects-it's more just how much at one time. I'd rather self finance and then pay ourselves back and not have a loan.

      Delete
  3. We are in a similar place with our home projects. Most likely, we will hold on doing anything in 2020 (save for some rock work at our vacation property, as it needs more maintenance given climate). We are tossing around what to do once we've paid off half of our mortgage. (Goal is end of 2020.) Once we've done that, we might reforecast our mortgage & then use the difference each month for a full remodel. Our house is at the point where we'd likely need to move out, or to do it in phases.*shivers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know our home has a very later 1980's feel in terms of the physical design and layout.This is why we are going to stay with only needed fixes that are for maintenance, basic utility, and safety and not for modernization. I can see the next owners, if open concept is still the thing, totally redoing the layout on our main floor and figuring out how to get a 1/2 bath on the main floor, and a second bathroom on the second floor (both of which was really stupid that it wasn't done when built.)

      Delete
  4. My eldest said she would gut all of our bathrooms last time she was here, and her eldest who is 8 called the house a dump. This is what happens when people have money. Make do does not come into their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our upstairs bath really could be gutted. I'm a little offended onn your behalf that your grand child would say that. I'm sure my in laws feel that about my home as well.

      Delete
  5. What you might consider doing this year is just fix things that need fixing ie spare bath and deck (even if that means replacement). None of the frilly pretty stuff, just things to get your home in better working order. I'm not sure what the bathroom issue is but likely a plumber could fix it with a very low bill. Then if you have extra funds start to do the cosmetic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upstairs bath is 33 years old and has shower and faucet issues, tub and surround discoloration, basically awful. The spare had a water issue that caused a ceiling issue, but the plumbing is fine, except toilet has a run/leak issue in tank. You are right though-function first.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.