Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Positively Tuesday: Health Check-in

    

     With DH stealing my thunder on the health issues front, lol, I thought an update might be in order. When we last checked in on Sam, she had positive biopsy results, though still irregular "swab" tests. This means I'll have to have the oh so fun pap more regular than most people do, perhaps as often as every three months, but no less than every six. I am back the end of February and the slides will be compared to see if it can be stretched to six month intervals. My blood pressure is slowly getting back to the good range, and I am out of the even if temporary, pre-hypertension stage. This was a big deal for me as I always historically had low blood pressure and very thin blood. On that front, iron levels are A-OK, another good thing. As a bi-product of cooking for DH with lower salt, I too have reduced my intake. 

     I have been very good about taking  the daily top off dose of the Vitamin D, but that hasn't been rechecked, so perhaps we'll see next month. I feel less fatigued but I also am listening to my body and just going to bed when I am tired. I've been very good about the daily women's multi vitamin dose and besides sniffles, and an occasional day with a headache, I've not succumbed to the bad cough/cold and flu like illnesses so many others have had this winter. The sleep test did show apnea and I go to a consult at the sleep clinic next month as well. I do not want the C-PAP machine, so want all other options ruled out. I get my sleep might be disrupted, but honestly, the night when I sleep at least 5 hours without waking up to use the bathroom, I actually do feel rested. Not to contradict medical folks and their sleep study tests, but I think my issues with a good night sleep are more bladder than breathing.  

     I am approved to get another knee injection of cortisone. I am on the fence as to whether I had enough relief to justify it. I might go again, and then really track if  relief is worth the bother. I am not going to physical therapy any more, but do the exercises for strength and balance as shown. Overall, some things have stayed the same, and others improved, so generally I'm doing better. The fear factor I had in November is gone with the positive test  results. 

     On the hubs front. DH has another appointment next month, timed with his pre-colonoscopy visit. He looks and seems more like himself, though I'm happy to say, he has backed off work a little bit. He has done so well not eating fast food or Subway, and takes his healthy lunch everyday. He had gotten so thin, and seems to be putting a little weight back on, and in good places-not the middle. I think though he may have thrown away good money on the gm membership. His plan to go at least 3-4 times a week has been a bust. Unfortunately, he is committed for a year. Maybe when DD1 gets home, she can go a time or two with him and help him get on a routine. 

     Speaking of DD1, she actually found a branch of her gym in Auckland and was able to use it the morning after she landed to help keep her routine in order. After the long flight and a little exploring, and before meeting up with her tour, I'm sure it felt good to have her own routine. My exercise has been mostly my therapy exercises, some very light yoga and stretching, taking a couple 10 minute walks around our building when I can fit them in, and the walks for pup. Probably not enough, but something. 

13 comments:

  1. Getting up to go to the bathroom is what gets/keeps me up. I adjust my food and liquid to help me. It is good you are both doing things to help your health other than take another pill. About twoenty years ago when i was in much better shape, i walked morning and night--half mile and turned around to come home. I walked 1/2 mile and 1/2 mile home. I did this at night, too. A friend who biked 50 miles a day said most people don;t do that much. Walking for my helath is my least favorite thing to do. I would rather bike but could not then nor now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird. I literally can drink nothing after 6:00, and all the days ecxcess still gets me up!

      Delete
  2. I've always hated to go to doctors- the male side of me I guess. I do take a few supplements- tumeric and fish oil for the joints and I've had hypertension and low thyroid for years- I take a Beta blocker and Levoxyl so those prescriptions require me to see a doctor at least twice a year and have blood work. Fortunately I rarely get sick- maybe a cold every 5 years but I do get a flu shot every year! I try to walk daily but I fear I'm pretty sedentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regardless of health, visiting doctors offices are rarely on anyone's favorites list, I think. I hate running into people I know as well. Makes me wonder about their health and paranoid they're thinking about mine.

      Delete
  3. We joined a gym before Thanksgiving, and so far my youngest has been the motivation. I usually work out in the mornings, but with jet lag, that hasn't happened. After not working out, we went last night after dinner & it felt so good to get a sweat on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I am sick of the cold and the snow. even getting pup out on his walks feels so good. I try and do a lap or two around the office before getting in my car.

      Delete
  4. We are thinking of joining a gym for the first time, but we only have to pay monthly. No contract. I am so tired of doctors, I bet you are also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says he will get in a routine, but I am afraid it is just a big waste of money.

      Delete
  5. My husband uses a c-Pac machine. He was having a lot of episodes an hour where he wasn't breathing. He would be sleepy all day and there were times when he couldn't drive. Since he lost weight he will probably get tested again to see if he can stop using it. They are checking if you're not breathing during the night so think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a huge anxiety about things over my mouth. Even a scarf freaks me out a bit when forced to on the bitter cold days. I'm hoping there are other solutions.

      Delete
    2. Are you a nose breather or a mouth breather? My husband is a mouth one and does have the mask over his face but I have seen some that just are in the nose. Hopefully you can get this figured out.

      Delete
  6. I always reckon you don't have to torture somebody to get what you want out of them - sleep deprivation will do it every time. Anyone who has ever had a baby knows that right! I sleep like a dream now but still get up to go to the bathroom on occasion. I reckon when my bladder is doing the "wakey wakey" dance is when I start getting nightmares - just my bladder's way of saying "hey, let's move it". But I'm glad things are starting to improve for you and your hubs. It is tiring though, having doctor appointment after doctor appointment isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I really don't sleep well for several days, I physically feel sick. My older daughter really struggles with sleep issues, and I can't help think it really manifests in her bad days. Denying sleep is a torture.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.