Wednesday, February 5, 2020

January Wrap-Up and a New Fiscal Tracking Plan

     

     Sorry about the formatting-I could not get the white back gorund off no matter what I tried. January was supposed to have been a cautious month for spending. It was not in the Household and Grocery budget, where I easily hit $500. Now some of this is countered with DH not eating out any lunches, and he easily was spending $15-$20 a week. There just seemed to be s much more from December that creeped not January, leaving the check book screaming a bit. February will be the same as a few large expenses like car insurance and the house insurance and umbrella rider were due. While the house insurance is prorated and deposited monthly in a separate account, the multiple months of car insurance will hit the February VISA.

     My new tracking will just show what we deposited in savings or borrowed if that is the case, and the major expenses for 2020. This will include just three things:
  • Annual Roth
  • Household Improvement
  • Travel/vacation
plus
  • Any other expense that arise outside the basic household monthly budget

     Overall, the goal will be that cash savings/major expense spending is $34,000., with by years end, any borrowing for savings is repaid. With that, both the bathroom and deck/pato projects are done. The push goal would be that both projects are complete and we have a cash balance of at least $6,000 to put in savings, making the overall massive goal after regular living expenses, $40,000. That's $4,000 more than we ended 2019. While at some point we may be cash flowing parts of college, its not going to factor into the major expenses for my 2020 tracking purposes. We know we have the expense for college and we can't control what that expense will be, unlike the other, except any unknown. It's a nonnegotiable, so supercedess any other spending beyond basic living expenses.

     January will be easy to sum up. We put $0 in savings. This isn't as woe as it sounds. While part income, since DH had missed so many days of work in December that leaked into his January net pay, it was as much a timing thing. We actually ended January with $3,000 in the check book, greatly helped by a third paycheck month for me. However, it was on the 31st and I won't get paid again until February 14th. Whenever there is a 3rd paycheck month, the hump until payday is always a little bigger. Almost all of our bills, minus the VISA are due by the 10th. Without knowing how much DH's first check will be, we decided to just let the whole balance sit, let him get paid, and then make a savings deposit once the bills are paid. Most likely we'll need to do this in March and April as well because my first paycheck hits after or on the 10th. By May, we should be back on a payday timing track, so April we will be able to make two savings deposits, making up for the missed one in January.

     If DH has any banner months, we will tuck more away, but of course in commission world, the opposite can happen. We definitely do not count our pennies before they are in the bank. DH's January was only 53% of his 2019 monthly average, but he had a very strong 2nd half of the year in 2019, which is the industry trend. However, if this should continues, we will be about $6,000 shy of the yearly goal of $34,000, and we'll need to debate completing both the house projects once again. IT was asked in comments about whether we have considered a hoe equity loan. The answer is yes, we have considered, but ruled it out. We own our home free and clear so the thought of another home loan lingering, even if just for a short period is just not appetizing. Since the money , technically is available, we could just tap into savings and get both do, basically borrow to ourselves.

     So with that, we are ending January as we started January financially, at least on the savings spread sheet. How was your January? Are you juggling timing on bills and cash flow as well? If you get third paycheck months, do you use to beef up savings, invest, or use towards something else?

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. I mentioned the home equity loan because I didn't know you had the cash for the home improvement projects. Maybe the winter months would be a good time to get your inside projects done since you have the cash- slow time for contractors?? I just get paid once a month so I pay my bills as soon as they come in- I did vow to start looking around for a cheaper auto insurance. Mine seems too high for someone who is accident free and never had a ticket in her life- State Farm. I just need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Jean. Thanks for sharing that information.

      Delete
    2. Nan, It was a good suggestion and others might benefit from that strategy. The thought of contractors though when it is cold and mucky though throws me off.

      Delete
  2. January was a reasonably good month for us, but we have a family trip in February (skiing) that will be expensive. We extended the invite to my parents/nephew, so lodging will be tight & there will be plenty of people to feed. But, we will make it work & I think it will be a great experience for my parents & nephew, who have always wanted to go to Whistler.

    We've also decided to pause all smaller home projects in favor of getting the mortgage paid down to our 1/2 way milestone, and then saving up for a more substantial remodel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making great memories and will not regret in vesting in people and experiences.

      Delete
  3. I remember when I lived in the States having the bi-weekly pay check and I found it weird at first (here we get paid monthly) but got used to it eventually. The plus point I guess was that my ex and I got paid on an alternating schedule so there was a salary coming in every week - just enough to not starve in the early years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband had a job for years with only 1X a month pay and I had twice monthly checks/deposits at my last job, so just 24 rather than 36 in the year. Once you get used to any system, I guess that becomes the new norm.

      Delete
  4. Traveler's cost me 3/4 of what State Farm did, and I had a good driving record.

    ReplyDelete
  5. January was a big fail here as with all the remodeling, and February will be much the same, but looking forward to March when things will get better, plus it will be spring and that will be glorious. You are doing great, just remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, You burned (a copy) of that darn mortgage!!! I feel like we are doing adequately, but not great. Then, I remember how fortunate we are, and should just be grateful for all our abundance.

      Delete
  6. You are doing great Sam and I love your methodical and balanced approach to your finances and life. Or January was good financially. No surprises at all. Everything so far is on autopilot and trucking along. February will be a banner month since I'll get my bonus on the 28th and on March 1st I'll have a little more income and a little more going into the retirement accounts due to my annual raise taking effect.

    Other than that I'm putting together my veggie/herb/flower indoor starting stuff (grow lights, heat mat, pots, seeds, etc.) and beginning to plan for the summer garden. This saves us a ton, we eat super healthy and the dogs and I thrive in the summer sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This first quarter year is going to be lean, but I'm hoping things level out.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.