Thursday, February 6, 2020

Thirfty Thursday-Starting February with Frugality

     I'm keeping my running sit of my thriftiness so I can remember. I'm finding it harder and harder to recap one day a week if I don't do this. I categorize my thrift in time, resources, and money, hoping I am striking a healthy balance and not getting nutty in any area.



Time 



  • We were trying to figure out plans for the weekend. Knowing every other weekend was packed, DH and decided to just have a movie night at home on Saturday. I wasn't feeling particularly well anyway, and ended up sick on Sunday and Monday. We still had Leinie's from the Christmas beer run by DS and a few snacks and it was just as nice as last weeks movie theater date. I do not think it was my one veer that got me ill though. 
  • I made a hotdish Tuesday for dinner and at the same time made a cottage pie for Wednesday. I have a post ready to go on that experience. It was very nice just popping the cottage pie in the oven and no prep at all.


Resources

  • I had a couple towels that were done for in the bathroom. Of course I did the obvious and made them into rags. Most likely before DD2 is home for spring break I'll buy another towel set but am waiting for a sale and coupons to stack.
  • Waste not want not. I brought leftover taco dip and chips as a side both on Thursday and Friday for lunch. Saturday night DH and I ate the leftover spinach salad from my nephews couples shower with our tuna hotdish. I hadn't planned either to be any leftovers, but I certainly didn't want to waste.
  • I am looking for a couple new pairs of work pants. I didn't find anything at our local thrift store, but did find a new to me Tupperware steamer. Mine is 30 years old, warped and wobbly. This sells for over $30 if I replaced and I paid $3.99. Perhaps too much, but this is an item I sue multiple times a week. This is both money and a resource savings as I kept from ordering yet another new made item. 

Money

  • I had a real bargain on the couples shower gift for my nephew and wife to be. As an older couple, but a couple that have had a lot of challenges getting to where they are now, I know one of the things they really like to do is hang out in parks and have a picnic or barbecue and spend time at my sisters, his mom's, camper lake lot. I thought getting them a couple new folding camp chairs, portable and always usable, was a good idea. I looked a the variety, and picked a styled that was comfy, with arms and a drink holder. They were indicated as $12.88, so with tax, a definite bargain for a shower present, being under $30. When I got them to the check out, they rang up at $5.88 each. Perhaps they were miscoded, but since I used the tag right on the chair bag was scanned, I wasn't going to question it. 
  • Some savings from not just not spending money. No one was available for Trivia this week from the regular group.No trivia night, no expenses, but I missed playing. I talked myself out of stopping for Chinese food Tuesday night and made two nights of dinner. I also did not stop for coffee at all, though really wanted to. These not spending keep money in my hand that I can use today for my lunch with my old friend and colleague from my past job. It is my turn to buy.


     I missed my flex day off on Friday. There was just too much that needed to get done in the office, and a meeting that had been rescheduled twice already. It was a very good use of time as it was a knowledge transfer meeting for an IT expert who has long retired, but came back to help out in between his replacement being hired. So many concerns I had were eased and that is a good time investment. I'll see where I might shift my schedule and get some of the time back, but that will be hard for the near future. For both the weddings coming on February and then March 14th, I'll be doing cash gifts, as I had for my cousin-in-laws January destination wedding that we did not attend. The January and March couples have established homes, but with bills to pay, and dreams to make, but needing stuff? Not so much. My nephew and his fiancé though, probably do need items, despite being in their 40's, as they really are just starting from scratch. I'll still let them decide what to put cash towards.

     Another week without major savings bonanza's. This might be a slow and steady type of savings year with just trying not to spend on things that are not a need nor add to our quality of life.  How about you? Any wins or new savings strategies? 

Edit: Here's the "vintage"Tupperware steamer I got, borrowed photo from nicklescity at Etsy site. Most are $20 and higher. One is on offer for bargain price of $7.99 but mine was still a better deal.


12 comments:

  1. I bought a silicone steaming basket yesterday too. Mom had a metal one but, my uncle told me he threw away that one because of rust. I spent about USD 10. If I had bought another metal one, it would've cost me less but, I just got tired of pulling the huge, heavy pressure cooker just to steam something. It has a metal basket that hangs inside of that particular cooker and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been one of my most used items. The basket works as a small colander as well.

      Delete
  2. Well done on the folding chairs. I love those things and always threw a couple in the trunk of my car (plus a fold-out table) if I went anywhere. Instant picnic material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow in all the loaning and borrowing of chairs for various grad parties, ours disappeared. I may be restocking for myself and for the kids as early Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  3. Great on the steamer, remember when everything was mauve and blue? Also ducks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't ever duck themed, but I rocked the mauves and blue!

      Delete
  4. Slow and steady wins the race, sounds like a great frugal week to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning not to be disappointed by little gains, as it does all help.

      Delete
  5. Wow what a bargain on the chairs! And 3.99 vs 30 bucks is a win every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Tupperware doesn't even make that any more. The closest thing I saw on their catalogue online was $35 nd did not look nearly as durable as this has been. My old one still is workable, just warped and wobbly.

      Delete
  6. You had some great wins! I mostly just tried to avoid spending, drove the electric car to & from work (charged for free), managed another week without a nanny, applied extra money to our mortgage, found a dime on the ground, & sold an item on eBay. Nothing too crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime a regular expense like a nanny wage can be saved is a win. Also, money for decluttering-yes a win.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.