Saturday, February 15, 2020

New Starts-Jump Starts

     I am surrounding with people doing new things and new starts. My nephews wedding was last night. It was a simple and lovely service with a reception following in the church hall catered by the church ladies and men. My nephew and his new wife may have thought they'd never celebrate a start like this, both recovering addicts and alcoholics, both with a slew of severe chronic illnesses, in and out of treatment and group homes. It is how they met. I believe they've been together four years, and my nephew in recovery, this hopefully last time, for five. His brother and sister were the best maid and matron of honor, his niece and nephews the other attendants, and last brother the usher. They are moving into a simple apartment, neither really ever living independently, well into their 40's. I hope they are very good for each other and stay healthy and sober. It was sweet how even in a church fellowship hall, with fewer than 30 people, they included all the typical wedding details, like head table, clinking glasses, first and mother son dance, and of course both YMCA and the Cha Cha line dance, both of which his five nieces ranging in age form 7 to 15, led the way. The wedding was at 5:00 and it pretty much wrapped up by 8:00.

     Today is a sort of bachelorette for my niece. Another small group, which as several of her aunts, doing an escape room and dinner. This niece is a bit socially awkward as is her fiancé, but wanted to have a fun night with the "girls" she is most close to, which happens to be her sisters, cousins, and aunts. Four weeks from today is her wedding, and probably on a much different budget than her cousins was last night.

     After I post this blog, I'm going to be looking at some of my older daughters writings. My grammar is atrocious at times. and I could use someone following me doing spell check, but I' pretty good at giving feedback on the writing of others like what phrases resonated with me, what word might better evoke the intent. Last ear she submitted an anthology of her poetry for a publishing contest, but never got any feedback. I thought it was wonderful, regardless of being her mom. I'm not sure what she might do with it now, and with more recent writing, but I'm happy she is giving this side of her creative bran a fresh jump start. She has so many gorgeous photos to go along with the words in her head, and I've always thought there is a book yet to be published.

     And where am I on my book? Like booster cables to a car battery, my book needs a jump start. When we were out with friends last week, our friend shared that his son is in the home stretch of completing his PhD. In order to finish b his goal date, he has set a target of three pages a day towards his final thesis. While he teaches a couple classes and, this has been the bulk of his work for the last seven years. I thought I could try a similar strategy, but perhaps try for five pages per week. I have two more days of the weekend and some vacation time off scheduled in a couple weeks. It might be the jump start I need to revisit, and then finish with just those five pages per week to review, finesse, and get ready for editing. We'll see if this new strategy get's me to completion.

     The bitter cold seems to have moved on. I was just out with pup and t is sunny and I didn't lose my breath breathing in. Besides some review of my daughters work, there's cleaning, laundry, and making something to leave for DH for supper. I have all the stuff for another cottage pie. Since it was such a hit last week, I think I'll give it another go, cooking it before I leave, but leaving it in the oven for him to eat if it stays hot, or warm in the microwave. How did your week go? What new or jump starts are happening in your life?


6 comments:

  1. We are heading out on vacation shortly. The kids first time out of the country (Canada), so the ae looking forward to trying out their passports. It will also be their first time seeing my husband's cousin/wife, & skiing with their cousin, so lots of good family things on the horizon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun for your boys. It's good to have those opportunities with family.

      Delete
  2. I think it's lovely that your daughter has "a book in her head". Add to that the photos and I think it would be lovely to put it all down in written word. Just think of the memories. And I understand (but how would I know?) that serious, published authors do have that discipline of so many pages/words a day. Seems like a good strategy to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has the poems down already as well. Yeah the difference in want to be and being a writer, I guess.

      Delete
  3. I should be so disciplined to write each day!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.