Monday, February 17, 2020

Really Using Things Up

     I did not want to leave the house yesterday at all. After a crazy week where Thursday night was my only night I didn't have something after work and my night in the big city being one of "the girls" for my nieces bachelorette do, I skipped showering and getting dressed in real clothes all day. I did take pup out for a good walk, but admittedly, just had boots, a long coat, and my pajama pants still on. I only  had enough laundry soap for two small loads, whites, and permanent press so DH had clothes for work. I used a spot of shampoo for some delicate sweaters and a few of my work pieces-this is a hack I have used for years as the shampoo is good for getting human oils out and freshen clothes, but isn't strong enough for clothes that need a good laundering. I kind of use it sparingly like Woolite. No special trip out for laundry soap yesterday. 

     While trying to figure out meal plans for the week I had overlooked a couple things already on  hand. I still had about a pound or more of pork loin from Christmas in the freezer-forgot I put it in there, and it took a moment to figure out the package. I took that out to thaw and it will be dinner tonight, cooked with a sweet sour sauce in my mini crock pot with sweet potato wedges I'll try in the air fryer. I reserved about 1/4 of it for plain cold sandwiches for DH, and another 1/4 for fried rice, to use up the 1/2 bag of frozen vegetables opened in the freezer. That's dinner tomorrow. I made an effort on a simple rustic yeast bread yesterday. It's not great but passable, and will be good for toast, and cut thick to hold the pork as I'm sure it will fall apart as it slow cooks in the sauce, perfect for a sandwich.

     Speaking of the rice, I'll cook up the last of my long grain rice, 2/3rds for the fried rice, and the remaining 1/3 to make stuffed peppers. I had forgotten that I only used one green, one yellow, and the orange pepper last week for the taco bar. leaving me with two green and a yellow. Sadly, one of  the green peppers slimed  a bit, but will be mostly useable after I cut away the slime. I'll cut the remaining two peppers in half as I think they bake better and I will stuffed them with a combination of rice, cooked green pepper, celery, and onion, cream cheese, a little sour cream. I'll bake today and put in a dish ready to top with the last of the shredded cheese from the taco bar. These will be part of a quick meal with any leftovers on Wednesday before trivia and for DH when he gets home. Look at me, three days of meals ready to go!

     Sometimes I am appalled at my wastefulness and amount of new food I shop for when there is already so much here. Of course having a well stocked pantry is great for rainy days both literally and financially and stocking up when things are  less expensive keeps the overall grocery budget low. I just hate when I discover that I wasted perfectly good food because I was either disorganized and didn't see it, or couldn't be bothered using it up properly. I admit I feel a little virtuous when I do salvage things or find things forgotten about and can turn them into a decent meals. This was three examples of food that might have gone into the garbage can, and instead fed us well. Thanks to using things up, I only need minimal purchases this week-mostly fresh food. Are you good at using up the last of items naturally? Are you like me, and have to really think about what you have on hand or else tend to buy things before using up others? 


17 comments:

  1. The more bodies in the house the harder it is to avoid food waste. I always think hubby is going to eat something as a leftover for lunch...then he forgets and opens soup or decides he doesn't feel like that for lunch. Frustrating but a fact of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless I have specifically said leftovers are a meal, I don't plan on him eating them anymore. I've been better at putting servings in the freezer for myself.

      Delete
  2. A pajama day is just what you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly use things up before they go bad. Once in a while I am horrified at what is in the refrigerator gone bad. Tommy moves things and puts things from where I had them. Then, he puts something else on top. I love it when I have three days of meals ready in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a stocked pantry, but I hat e when the refrigerator is too packed because I lose sight of what is there.

      Delete
  4. I was good at using things up, and having a very strict budget, but lately I've been haemmoraging money where grocery shopping is concerned, but that's just how life has been. It's difficult when cooking and baking are things that are therapeutic for someone who is in mental turmoil. Fortunately, things are on the up, so I'm hoping to get back to my normal ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your daughter continues to grow stronger. Yes, cooking, baking gardening those are all such good comforting actions. I am so glad she is finding things that help her.

      Delete
    2. I also couldn't leave a reply again on your page, Day 48. I had lots of positive supportive words, but I don't wan to share here. You know my thoughts I bet, friend.

      Delete
  5. I've always enjoyed going to the grocery store but I was a SAHM for 30 years with a lot of time on her hands. My goal now is not to go so often but I still enjoy looking at the ads. You bought chicken legs and I bought the bone in chicken breasts at Aldi for $.99 a pound. I would have bought more but my 2 freezers (2 old refrigerators) are jam packed drat it. Most of the food in them is leftovers but still FULL. I wrote down all the items and am trying my best to cross them off my list. I even have 2 homemade pies I made entirely from scratch before Christmas- blueberry and pecan. I need company or to just give them away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dislike most shopping. Wandering and looking, but actually making selections and buying stresses me out. My husband would be ecstatic to find pie sin the freezer.

      Delete
  6. There is something incredibly therapeutic about a jammie day at home and using up things you already have. Small moments of gratitude with enormous payoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a lot of work done, and also got some rest-both needed.

      Delete
  7. I don't like it but I can be quite wasteful too, even though I'm easy to feed. I think my tendency is to overbuy - or getting too much out of the freezer and making 3 days worth of meals and then eating them in 2 days because they're there. My freezer is running down just slightly but I've got a long way to go. And fancy you dog walking in your jammies - I'd be afraid I'd fall over and have an accident and end up being found out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I see people in stores and out and about in jammie pants so I figure din my own neighborhood, it was just fine.

      Delete
  8. I'm pretty good at using up what's at hand. I do the "shop at home" thing first, taking stock of what's on the shelves and in the fridge/freezer when making a meal plan. About a year ago, I vowed to buy no new protein before I used what was already in the freezer. It took 6 months to get to the bottom of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do more of that. I like to have a sparse refrigerator-neat and tidy so I can see what is there.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.