Sunday, April 5, 2020

Another Week Home, Another Meal Plan

     As for the Gender reveal, it was sort of an on-line bust. I did see a bunch of cars and trucks, but it kept glitching out, and then my nephew in law lost the video all together. The sound was horrible. No worries, and my niece made sure to send the video out to everyone! Couldn't let the moment pass us by I guess. In case you were wondering, I'll have another great nephew in lat August. On my side of the family, we have like 35 great nieces and nephews-can you imagine how many gender reveal parties we would have been asked to attend if this was an every baby thing? A few did them within their own immediate family like the few with a bit older siblings to help them feel part of getting a new brother or sister, and  grandparents,so It's not like I had never seen this in our family, just not to the size and grandiose nature of it as planned.  . 

     Now to meal planning. I started this post yesteryear and didn't intend to publish, but some of you maybe already read this and are thinking it's  a duplicate. Here it is again.  I think I did pretty well maximizing fresh food or opened food in the house this week. Here's the list from last week of possible meals-with plans to use using leftovers for lunches.

Pork chops, mashed potatoes and vegetables (It's larger pack, so I'll freeze half, plus there will be leftovers)
Chicken and rice hotdish with cheese and green beans
Vegetable curry with rice
Crockpot pasta with zucchini
Spaghetti and meatballs with salad
Tacos or taco bowls with taco rice
Homemade flat bread pizza with onions, olives and miscellaneous toppings


Here was our actual menu:

Sunday: Pork chops, mashed potatoes and vegetables
Monday: Spaghetti and meatballs
Tuesday: Cannot for the life of me recall Update: In reading Sluggy's blog, something jumped in my brain. We had Chicken Cordon Bleu, rice pilaf, and steamed mixed vegetables. 
Wednesday: Vegetable curry with rice (DH won't eat, but it will be great for me and DD2 with lot's of lunch leftovers) and naan
Thursday:Cottage pie and biscuits and gravy
Friday: Crockpot pasta with zucchini and spinach
Saturday: Fried rice and vegetables, salad

     For this week, the following may or may not happen, but is based on food in my freezer and refrigerator.

Sunday-A potato, spinach, tomato dish that resembled Perkins scramblers, with chicken for DH, and a broccoli pasta side dish.
Monday: Hamburger strogonof with egg noodles, steamed carrots
Tuesday: Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Wednesday: Tacos or taco bowls, rice and tomatoes
Thursday: Pork chops, mashed potatoes
Friday: Tuna hotdish with some sort of vegetable
Saturday: maybe take out pizza, or make our own 

     As I am going to do a fast shop for my mother-in-law, I may pick up ham and asparagus for us as well for Easter dinner. DH shouldn't have much ham so we can have a very small one, and make with a few potatoes, dinner rolls or biscuits,  fruit salad, and desert. Chocolate eggs may find their way into our home as well. I'm managing to stay busy, though wondering like the rest of the world how much longer this might be. Our governor is speaking tonight at 7:00 so we'll see if there is any hint if we are officially extend stay at home through April, or if we'll wait to learning on Friday.  So this is my meal plan. There is nothing unique right now, but maybe I'll come up with a few twists. How are your kitchen plans panning out? Anything new while you have more time at home?

9 comments:

  1. I have the same amount of time at home as before. However, it seems the fatigue that is indescribable is lifting just a bit. I have the same ambitions. But, now, I actually accomplish some of the goals I have which are not lofty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not running out as oftern for lunches and things, while nice for socializing, was wearing on you?

      Delete
  2. Yesterday's dinner was really a make-do sort of affair. I had some leftover barbecued chicken breasts, and some leftover slow cooked pork with sauerkraut. I had no idea what to fix, so around 2 p.m., I put both meats in the slow cooker along with some leftover barbecue sauce stirred with some leftover cranberry sauce. As it heated, I baked rolls, and we had pulled barbecued sandwiches. When a kid asked if it was chicken or pork, I answered "yes." No idea what today will bring. I have a ham in the freezer I need to take out for Easter. I may just take out salmon for tonight, as it will thaw quickly. Seems I forgot it was Sunday, therefore, no roast dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With working, I at least know if it was weekend, but the daughter had so much homework, she was as busy as during the week. I love a good pulled BBQ sandwich-any kind so I would have like your dinner.

      Delete
  3. No, I've never been to a gender reveal party and neither have my daughters. The one in California has a lot of friends having babies but not one has had the party and GS is just 18 months old- DD told me after her 20 week ultrasound baby was a boy. It probably depends a lot on where you live and your social circle. I will say after having 2 kids in the early 70s and last in 1987 it was great knowing the sex of the baby. I don't care for surprises and never considered not finding out the hetr sex when I had an amnio. My son has told me to not leave the house at all and I am not- just doing a little yard work and I see no one. It's very quiet in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to run for my mother-in-law, but trips will be fast. I'll plan my route!

      Delete
  4. I've never been to a gender reveal party. Given I'm a bit over 40, I think they became "a thing" after my round of friends were done having kids. Thank goodness.

    We wrapped up our shopping, and our goal is to stay out of shops for two weeks. My husband tends to get a little anxious when we run out of things, but we will do our best.

    And, last night, Nick decided he wanted to make a recipe from my dad, so M & Nick made homemade chicken tenders, & our planned carnitas went into the fridge until today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adaptability is needed and if the kids want to help, great you could encourage. Now you have another night done.So my thoughts on gender reveal went to one day when my kids are expecting an d if that part of the family asks about a party, I can almost hear my daughters responding no, because that is self centered and vapid!

      Delete
  5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. Best coffee grinders

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.