Wednesday, April 1, 2020

New Pattern and Rhythms

     Wow, April 1 and what a difference a month has made. On March 1, we had just got our daughter home for spring break, our older daughter was on a weekend trip to Chicago, and I was looking forward to several days off work, followed by a work travel trip to New Orleans. Now, daughter is home again and we both are working from home, and no travel anywhere-not even right now to see family and friends in different households. My sisters life went from being a duo to having to face this crisis living alone while grieving and  grossly under employed in her restaurant job. Our family is no worse, though probably infinitely better off than many, so consider this reflection, not complaint. 

     I haven't been sleeping well and my mouth guard fitting for sleep apnea will be postponed indefinitely. Tonight I'm going to try and head to bed without a Tylenol P.M. I've only taken one, four different nights, two made me way to sluggish the next day. As I had both a slight headache, and desperate need for good sleep, adding one to a regular Tylenol was a useful sleep aid. I really don't want to rely on them though, and perhaps have trained my body into falling asleep on my own, and staying that way, rather than tossing and turning to fall asleep, only waking up after just a few hours and unable to sleep again.

     My days feel very long. I'm still getting up between 5:00 and 6:00, well closer to 6:00, doing a bit of exercise and stretching, showering, making coffee, and throwing a load in the washer. I'm logging in between 7:00 and 7:30, and generally stay working, with smallish breaks worked in, until between 5:00 and 5:30. I try and take a decent mid-day break and eat lunch, get outside a bit if it is nice like yesterday. My daughter and I coordinate some of our on-line work to maximize bandwidth. The last couple nights since the Stay at Home measures went into effect, we've met my older daughter for a long walk. We've come home, had dinner about 7:00, me trying to eat no later than that as part of resuming Intermittent Fasting (IF). It's someone folding the laundry, cleaning up dinner, reading, watching TV or video, and then to bed and the whole cycle starts again.

     DD2 stays up late doing her homework, and generally isn't up and doing things before 11:00. DH has been going into his store, mostly doing nothing it sounds, but wiping down surface area, and helping people on-line or by phone. They are not to accept walk-ins and sales must be by appointment. It seems kind of pointless. He leaves by 8:20 and is home about 5:10. He plays with or walks the dog, eats, and pretty much watches something on television or streaming. He needs to find something constructive to occupy himself, but he's talking with people all day so maybe the downtime at night is fine.

     This weekend will be more cleaning, purging, and organizing. There's endless projects to keep me busy. My pantry is a chaotic mess as is all the family paperwork. I'm going to push DH to tackle the family admin, which has taken over our kitchen table and I'll focus on the pantry. A big event might be running out for fresh fruit, vegetables, milk, and bread-quick in and quick out. I'll also look up and see if it is time to start seeds and do that if so. I have plants that need re-potting that due to the rainy last weekend and not being able to be outside unless I wanted to be soaked, I pushed off. It will be a break from the regular cycle.

     This is now our pattern and rhythm for a while. I hope we are doing our part well, keeping that curve flatter. I'd like to write about something interesting, but for now, this is as interesting as it gets. Comment with questions for me to answer and write about if you would. I need ideas. Anything you want to know about Minnesota I could research and share? I want to keep blogging and would love some ideas to write about and then for us all to talk about. Thanks for joining me in this. 

17 comments:

  1. We are finding new rhythms as well. I've never taken a real lunch break at work, but now due to having the kids, I carve out an hour almost every day. We have lunch & then go for a walk. It's one of the things I really enjoy about this time.

    I've made time for more social things (video chat app) with friends & family. While it by no means replaces in person chats, it helps me feel connected for sure.

    California appears to be flattening the curve, which is promising. We've been home now for three weeks, and it was just announced will be sheltering in place until at least May. If it wasn't working, it would be more depressing, so at least that's a positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California give a bit of hope. I think we are likely heading into summer, definitely all of April, with this as life.

      Delete
  2. I guess mundane is good right now - we all have little to write about but it does help and helps to read how others are doing. We are in the same rythm as usual since we are used to working from home but it is killing hubby to not go anywhere as usually he goes stir crazy if he doesn't leave the house every other day. Today we will go for a drive if that feeling hits. Buddy is loving all our walks though, yesterday I took him once and hubby took him a second time later in the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing anything is helpful to me, and people commenting is uplifting. Pup is loving the extra walks, but he's crabby due to not sleeping all day.

      Delete
  3. About what time of year do the bitter cold temperatures stop in Minnesota? Also curious to housing prices within reasonable reach of a city. (I'm a real estate nerd!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About March, but we still get snow storms. Also depends on definition of bitter. Id use Zillow or any online site to compare community housing prices. Not my area of expertise. We're not selling and my daughter's on hold looking.

      Delete
    2. Well, I know NOTHING of Minnesota, (outside of Carleton College) so wouldn't know where to begin to look...where is nice?

      Delete
    3. Are you looking to move here? I'd say anything a tier away form the suburbs is nice, putting you roughly 25-30 miles in any direction of St Paul or Minneapolis if you want the easy access to the "big city" yet a community with a real town flavor. I am not a fan of Suburban communities where there is basilica just a string of strip malls and shopping centers and not a true downtown. My community is a bit different in that we are very close to the cities, but also very agriculture-very large geography for the school district. I grew up here and while not perfect, what community is, it has been a great place to raise a family, even if sometimes it feels a little too generational. It;s a nice blend of history and new community. For privacy, I won't say online the town name.

      Delete
    4. We are currently in what you describe---very agricultural, though more and more, particularly as people can work from home, it is becoming a "bedroom community." We have a 5 acre moratorium on houses--nothing built on anything smaller unless it was subdivided prior to the rule.
      I considered Minnesota when we made our move from the Southwest, but realized I could never live there simply because I cannot bear winter. The problem with the states with sunnier climates tended to be the political climate, (and schools). Let's leave it at that! I confess though, that come September and October, the shores of Maine, and the Great Lakes regions do beckon me. Fall is nothing to write home about here. But then sanity returns, and I remember that four-letter word--c-o-l-d.

      Delete
  4. Oh I do hope I'm ok. That sounds like a sad post to me - but hey, I'm usually wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts always uplift me. You have a knack for sharing stories.

      Delete
  5. I feel so bad for your sister. I bet you are great comfort to her right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem- she's now alone with the stay at home orders and reduced work.

      Delete
  6. I think the reality of our current situations has firmly set in and everyone is feeling a little glum. I am being super careful and only getting out when it is absolutely necessary and am getting a little stir crazy. I think I am going to get in the car and just drive around a bit today just to see something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've driven a few times for new places to walk.No seperation from home and work is very strange.

      Delete
  7. I am heartened that things around here are all the same most days. Maybe
    husband can "help" you with something. Not really working together, but to get him up and thinking about something else. What are planting in your garden, now and later? Do you buy seeds only or do you get some plants? How large is your garden? That would make an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dabbling in gardening so plantung based on seeds I found- zuchini, carrots, peppers. I don't want hus help with my stuff, but for him to find his own.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.