Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Positively Tuesday-Checking on Family and Friends

     It maybe feels easy to reach out to family and friends about specific physical needs they might have. "I can pick up a second gallon of milk and drop it by." "I've got a slew of board games if anyone needs them." When we ourselves might be feeling low during this period of social distancing, hearing from others how they may be struggling can be tougher. My daughter found this and posted it on Facebook. She had a pretty significant number of people respond with yellow hearts or lower. Her troglodyte mother had to be told how to create the emoji;I was orange at the time I saw the post and commented. 



     She also though had most people saying, "Thanks for asking." or "I appreciate that you are thinking of this." Some people are very good at asking for a boost from others. Others may feel they have to be strong and shelter those around them from feeling sad and insecure. It is a little something, but being able to honestly say, I'm starting to struggle, or I need to reach out for support even through just a follow-up comment, invites others to pick up that phone and have that conversation and social connectedness many of us are craving.

     It's great if you don't feel like your life has changed much at all. People who are home bodies already, and very comfortable with their home based hobbies may not be feeling the impact at Shelter at Home and Social Distancing. I'm happy for them, but I'm not one of them, and neither are my family members. While none of us, well except for the youngest, have posse's of people and a plethora of plans every weekend, we're what you might call Extroverted Introverts. Described by Google as "extroverted introvert would get energy from being alone, but still enjoy interacting with others." If people like my family are having this difficulty, I can't imagine how challenging this is on the true extroverts.

     So yes, while this is not a war time situation, and no one is hiding from the enemy, or maybe we kind of are, ways of life has been forced to change in a very short period of time, for many people. That can't be minimized. So if you are inclined, use the emoji chart above in your own social media circles, then pick up the phone and reach out to those folks displaying green, teal, and purple. Keep an eye out for those yellow hearts as well. They might just be trying to keep strong for everyone else, and inside, are crumbling a bit.

Note: This post is not intended to be advice or mental health counseling of any kind. It is merely one human to another thinking about how to be useful. 

14 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm definitely an extrovert but I am comfortable at home as long as I have a phone and working computer! Maybe I'm not an extrovert?? Beats me- my family says I can carry pn a conversation with a rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with light company. I most think about my older daughter who is very much self fulfilled, but live alone and takes these kind of measures seriously. We went for a long walk last night, and will again tonight-following the rules of social distancing since we are different households.

      Delete
  2. I used to think I was an extrovert because I never met a stranger but now I'm not so sure as I'm perfectly comfortable in my own company (15 days in lockdown and counting). I do like the emoji post though. I think it's a good way of checking up on people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memes are everywhere but for those who use a lot of social media, this chart may help find the person who needs a call.

      Delete
  3. I discovered over my sabbatical that I need both. I need the quiet solitude to recharge, but I also adore time with friends, and talking/chatting & just getting the time together.

    This was also a good reminder to check in on my parents today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry that people won't reach out, so I'm trying to do that more.

      Delete
  4. Even introverts are finding it difficult now - that would be us. Hubby still wants to pop into a store at the drop of a hat...I am having to try curb him of that. Or he wants something for supper where I am missing an ingredient. We've got lots to do here including work right now (not sure for how long but at least for a month or two) so at least there's that. My poor stepson is used to working out and watching sports and working at his plumber job. Now he can't work out except a little at home (he is a body builder), can't watch sports and likely is losing his job this week as job sites get shut down. He is the only kid living by himself as 1 son lives with his mom as he is waiting to go back to school in September, and the 2 others live with spouses. I guess him and his friends have resurrected online gaming sessions but I think it will be hard on him through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my son has roommates. My daughter has lived alone for five years and even as an introvert this has been hard. Plus she is working from home, so feeling like home is being crowded by work. Good luck to your son.

      Delete
  5. Your daughter's idea is brilliant.
    I am classified as an ambivert. I love being around people and crowds (providing I have ample social air space around me, but that is a claustrophobia issue) but I can also entertain myself at home. I do recharge my internal batteries with people, but I am finding technology allows me to recharge them even from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good description. I can go days alone, but then I just need to be somewhere and have people around.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea. Although I stay home all the time being told to stay home has me in a dither. I am fine, but I don't feel fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the restriction mentality. I'll stay home all weekend but dont tell me to stay home.

      Delete
  7. Brava!
    I can think of a slew of literary references that tell us what she is doing: during times of uncertainty it is the little good things done by common folk that make it bearable. good deeds and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is full of little good deeds and ransom kindnesses. She rarely though seems to get reciorocation though and could use people reaching out to her, other than me.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.