Friday, May 29, 2020

Venturing Out A Bit More

     We've reached Friday again. The week didn't feel much different than the last 10 but there  were bits of changes and ventures broader than our small circle. Starting with last weekend and interacting with my siblings twice. First was Friday out at my sisters, outside, and spaced. I met up with three sisters and my oldest brother at the grave site on Saturday, again all outdoors. However, we've had some inside interaction as well. The college kids roommate was here last weekend and ended up staying over. She had pretty much been isolated with herself and dad, so I felt there was minimum risk. My sister also came for lunch last week. My older daughter visited friends several hours away-much needed break form so much time away from her friends.

     This week's biggest change in our stay at home lifestyle occurred with  my youngest applying for, interviewing, and starting a job, within the same week. She Interviewed Monday, and had brief orientation on Wednesday, then yesterday and today she is being trained-likely tomorrow as well. She described their safety measures and they are very thorough. She also showered and washed her clothes once home, so following what DH has been doing. I'm cautious, but I'm not scared as long as the safety measures continue. She seems much happier and while early, seems to like the work.

     My older daughter and I are going to go to the cabin after my mid-day meeting. We'll pick up simple food and likely do no cooking. We'll also be sure that any items we need we are bringing from Minnesota as I'm still leery of public spaces across the river until I see the two week  number report after the crazy packed bars and restaurants two weeks ago. While my brother-in-law's family may be up, it doesn't sound like any others, so we should be able to keep spread out and outside as the weather is promising. We're only staying overnight and back in town mid-day. I'm hoping I can get decent WIFI and add some remote working to my weeks over the summer. 

     I know I'm being more cautious than many, while equally expanding my circle faster than others might feel comfortable. I've been involved in some working groups related to summer youth programming with people from the health sector. I'm aware of the need to be slow with turning the dial while demands grow for getting the businesses up and running. I'll keep doing my part with health and safety front of mind. 

14 comments:

  1. We are planning to see my parents in a few weeks, and have been extra cautious as a result. We have all been isolating for the last few months. We will also try to get a test (free, drive in here) if available, just to reduce anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were test sites over Memorial Day weekend but didn't go. I have not heard of ay cases in my community, and that is where I have limited my contact even in grocery store. I am cautious more though since widening the circle.

      Delete
  2. Where things are opening up it is up to all of us to figure out how to socialize while being safe - sounds like you've put a lot of thought into keeping yourself and family safe. Glad your daughter found a job - for those willing to try and look right now there are jobs out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jobs are still pretty much in the service industry, at least around here. Stores don't have much yet and many companies have hiring freezes. It should work for her. I was happy to hear about all their precautions.

      Delete
  3. I am still uncomfortable being out for long. Well, I did walk quickly with Tommy to get the chicken at Aldi's. His cousin wants to go to a restaurant in a few weeks, but that makes me uncomfortable! We do get out, but stay in the car as we drive around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they have said time in a space is a contributing factor for exposure and contracting-hence the concern on church's. Be safe and healthy.

      Delete
  4. So happy the youngest got a job, I knew she would, a little go getter like that. Also have fun with your daughter at the family cabin. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended up being just my daughter and I until mod Saturday morning. We left shortly after 1, so it was nice.

      Delete
  5. Glad your daughter found a job. I make no judgements on how anyone eases back into their "norm". Everyone has to take the path they choose since they only know what is right for them.
    Here in the happy south we have no more restrictions and the idiots are taking over. Consequently the infection rates are growing. But our esteemed governor has opened everything. I hope everyone else enjoys it cause my butt is staying home or out for the very rare grocery experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope people see that wearing a mask will bring, even if minimal, a bit more safeguarding when out and about. That's my opinion and know others feel strongly it wrong. I know cases will keep gong up-I'm tracking hospital admittance as my metric and whether the hospital staff feel they have enough of the PPE they need.

      Delete
  6. Congrats to your daughter on getting a job! And good for you on making decisions that feel right to you. That is one of the things that we shouldn't take for granted-- being able to stay at home if we feel that is best, expanding our circles if we feel that is best, or going full on out if we feel like it. I am like you, expanding our circle with caution and safety measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full on folks make me nervous, but then that is where my own precautions must be heightened I guess.

      Delete
  7. That's good news that your daughter has got a job. And like the others have said, everyone has to come out of lockdown as it suits them. I'm strangely much more comfortable being around people than most I guess, not that I've been out other than shopping or hiking, but it depends on what you're comfortable with. That being said, my fuel was delivered on Thursday and the guy was VERY careful. Even though I was nowhere near him he asked me to put on a mask and wouldn't let me use his pen, but then explained that he has had it and spent 5 days in hospital. We have to come out of lockdown at some point don't we, but hopefully the idiots bombarding the beaches and parks will stay away from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like though that he asked you to wear a mask, and not use his pen, and it was a respectful exchange of each of your comfort levels. I agree, things need to move forward and reopen, and I hope what has been learned are factors to mitigate will be used.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.