Thursday, May 28, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-The UnThrift Version

     I'm deviating a bit from my Thrifty Thursday post where I try to capture the savings or good use of time, resources, and money. This week, I'm going to share all the ways I was unthrifty  while in lock down recently. I don't regret any of these purchases or expenses because they met a specific purpose or added to my or anothers mental health at the time. I'm still of mind to maximize my life through cautious spending, increasing sustainability, and making the most of my time. Except for the money part, I didn't harm my time or resources.

  • Bought my son a very early birthday gift of an Instant Pot. While I haven't mastered mine, he enjoys cooking, and is trying to maximize every penny he has while not working. He reported he used it immediately upon arrival. It wasn't that he couldn't cook without it. It was the fact that one, he could buy cheaper versions of meats and other proteins and cook them faster, and two, it will become a bit of entertainment as he reads recipes or watches YouTube videos on how people are using the Instant Pot. Remember, this is a healthy, active, outgoing 31 year old that has not been able to work in his field since the very beginning of March. I was happy to gift him something that would be constructive and practical entertainment. 
  • Take Out from a pricier restaurant near us. We actually still had nearly $65 on a gift card for this restaurant and was going to use it, but then DH learned he was able to get a little  perk money through the corporate rewards. We decided right now the restaurant could use our business in new money. We ordered and they had car side pick-up, and we actually ate in the dining room, just the two of us. The college kid was out and about showing her college roommate, who was bored so drove to our town, the outdoor "highlights" of our community. We ordered for them to have when they got back as well. It felt good starting the long weekend with a bit of a night out. I was happy my daughter and friend got to spend time together. It just felt a bit normal and I liked it.
  • I spent $48, including a 20% tip, on  four Crowlers, basically a can  that holds 32 ounces, of the delicious hard seltzer our local brewery added this past winter to their offerings. I like beer, but so far most brewery beers are too dark and bitter for me, and I've stuck to just one, and then a seasonal version. This seltzer is so delicious and a nice refreshing change. I normally don't spend $48 on what might be the equivalent of a 12 pack of beer, but this local business provided me an empty nest life line last spring and helped me reconnect with old friends, through our weekly trivia games. It's been a fun gathering place to meet out of town friends, and we have an affinity for the owners as they grew up with my older two, and one was my youngests assistant show choir director. I think until they are open and back to hosting, this will be at least a monthly splurge while we can afford it. I may have to rethink this if DH's sales drop lower and if I have a reduction of hours and pay, but for now, it's worth it to me. 
  • I purchased extra phone chargers. With moving around the house working in different places depending on the light, how my back feels, and often forgetting to plug in my phones, I wanted to have a couple charging station areas. I didn't need a couple more chargers, but the convenience has made working from home a fraction easier. 
  • My daughter has had a few more shoots, some of which have been in the general area of a Trader Joe's. She is so good about texting me if there is anything I want there, knowing I like some of the specialties they have. I'm feeling no guilt having her pick up Palak Paneer, Bruschetta topping, their granola, spinach and artichoke dip, or a jar of olives I don't see in my local store. Just like the Crowlers, these little treats help make staying in a bit nicer.  If she is willing to stop, I certainly will accept her offer. 
  •  I have a few offers of fire wood and at some point I'll lug some home but in a pinch last weekend, I bought a bundle at the gas station. While we had some already, with the rain it was pretty damp. It was a wet weekend, but we had a few dry hours. Building and sitting by a fire is such a simple and relaxing way to spend an evening, lockdown or no lock down. (We were never in a true lockdown)
     We don't know how long life will be on this unsure path. And while short term goals might have to be altered, our medium to long term remain in tact. We still have a goal of both of us being fully retired within eight years. We are still hopeful our daughter will get to study abroad. While we might wait, I still want my patio redone, and eventually both bathrooms made over. We want to travel once it is safe to do so. I'll mostly continue to be thrifty but also be honest that that is not always the case and like my blown budget H&G spending, not always possible. I spurge and splurge often as the list above is a good example. I'm trying to keep a healthy relationship with money, still not wasting it, but not squeezing so tight that my hands hurt either. Where are you still splurging, if only occasionally?

18 comments:

  1. We are splurging on higher end food from the grocery store on occasion (filet mignon wrapped in bacon comes to mind) rather than takeout right now. We also have spent a lot of money on beautifying the yard and our new patio - all worth it in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like we missed out on just splurging last year on redoing the yard, tearing down the deck, and creating the new patio and now I a afraid to splurge beyond the relatively small things above. Still, I sit out on the deck on my old furniture and it is still pleasant, so not a waste of outdoor space. I am sure your home is just lovely. .

      Delete
  2. That's a great gift for your son, especially if he likes to cook. I'm sure he will enjoy it. My dd likes hers. I bought some cheap extra chargers off Amazon awhile back. It does make life easier to be able to just plug in where we are at. Now we each have one in the living room, den and my office and I have one by my bedside. DH also keeps one out in the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely $15 well spent-no more daughter sneaking my I phone charger, or hubs and I sharing a android version. of all the things a young man asks for or says he'd like, a kitchen gadget seemed like a pretty good investment in an early gift.

      Delete
  3. I think the whole thing about splurging is to know how much you can afford to splurge - to have built in wriggle room - and you obviously plan it so why not. Things can be hard in lockdown and if a splurge makes life a little more pleasant then so be it. Kindle seems to be getting all my splurge money at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had actually asked my son a month or so back if there was something that he would like early that might make his stay at home, isolation in place. His very inexpensive acoustic guitar cracked beyond repair-he has an acoustic electric and electric, but said he would may like anew one, he determined too expensive for what he would really want, but then a week or so goes by and he asked if I still was wondering about ideas, the Instant Pot would be good.

      Delete
  4. You have to live a little! Your bills were still paid, and food in the house. Spending money on the things that enrich your relationships with people is an investment. We spent some money on fixing up the porches and buying some outdoor activity stuff so we enjoy it as a family. We get takeout from a place in our neighborhood bc we want them to be successful through this. We’ve lost too many people recently, a friends mom, a former teacher, a boss. It feels more necessary than ever to strengthen the bonds we have with people. If it costs a little money, then so be it. My checkbook doesn’t make me happy. My friends and family do. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree! Nothing we spent on was for just ease or laziness, or because of plain want, but were a reflection of trying to support our community, family, and being together. Not even fomr the virus, but too much loss for too many friends and family while being physically separated-a few seltzers and take out as a family-priceless.

      Delete
  5. I hope your son likes the insta pot, I got one for Christmas and have not used it, shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine Christmas 2018-still haven't used. I think I might just give to my daughter, but so far son has really liked it. Don't let nayone take my Crock pot though.

      Delete
    2. I have had my instanpot for a year and a half. It has never been used.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, and am fine splurging on things right now. For us, that was lots & lots of bike repairs (one of the kids only form of entertainment, and one son enjoys jumping his BMX bike off of ramps, which is hard on the bike), tennis rackets (again, a form of entertainment currently available), the occasional takeout, makings for special drinks, food splurges (steak, ice cream for the kids, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think tennis rackets and balls will be the next buy. My husband likes to play, or used to, and it would be great to get him out there again with the girls.

      Delete
  7. We splurge some for an ice cream cone, more strawberries than usual, driving 60 miles to my town once a week, at least. If we want a burger or pick up from a restaurant, we do it. I have plans to buy him binoculars since he cannot walk around at the park by the lake. This way, he can see the ducks better. I have plans for splurges in the future. They are splurges in his eyes, necessities in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think if it does not hurt you, it is necessary to splurge. I feel the need to help get the economy a little stronger, but am doing it from the safety of my own home, so I am buying coffee from a local roaster, veggies from a market that supports local farmers, and some items we just want because they taste good. Oh and the foot masques. Never have I ever and it is just sublime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got foot masks in a Fab Fit Fun box and can't wait to try. However, the require socks and many hours and so I need a cold day!

      Delete
  9. I have an instapot and use it once in awhile.If I was to compare uses between my instapot and crockpot, my crockpot would definitely win. Old habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.