Monday, June 8, 2020

Savings Goals in 2020

     A few weeks or even months back, I mentioned we have one long term account that for some reason was set up with our bank and not through other retirement fund management. Admittedly, I do not follow the details of our other accounts, the ups and downs, the earning rates, the loss rate, and what parts are doing better than others. Ignorantly on my part, DH is the master tracker, though I know the balances. For this small one though, I am not overwhelmed with the details, and it gives me a good idea of where our long term, retirement savings might be heading. By the end of April, we had lost over 1/3 of the balance with which we entered 2020. Over the weekend, it looked like the account was nearly back to the year starting point. I don't know if that means anything other than  the real money holders are happy that businesses are slowly starting to reopen, those that really drive the market. 

     Of course we experienced a lot of this loss, gain, and mixed volatility back in 2008/2009 before the economy started to improve again. Remember those fun times? In DH's industry it took another year for stuff to hit the fan and he was laid off in May 2010 for nearly six months before he started working again. That was with three kids, two of which were in college. Now, while neither of us have lost jobs, DH's earnings between March and now have been about 50% from last year, a 25% cut in our income. This also means a cut to his retirement savings as we both do an automatic off the top deduction. If this continues, or worsens, we'll have to decide if we want to top off his account to the max, which would mean most likely he'd have no take home for a few months at the end of the year, or just accept that we will put less in his retirement account. And then there is the Roth, the after tax account we can contribute up to $14,000 combined. Normally that has to be done by April 15th, but extended this year to July 15. Needless to say, we haven't been saving $14,000 extra to do this. Oh yes, we have college tuition to pay in August and again in January. All these decisions depend on how much prediction and faith we have in eventual recovery and then earnings again on our retirement accounts. 

     I'm not writing this to complain, just stating facts of where our 2020 goals will need to be rethought. As for home improvement, I've shelved the patio for now, and really trying to have a make do attitude, knowing the project and then some is there for us next year. I do want to still invest in my office, which really is just a good purge, clean, paint, and some kind of flooring, which for now, I'm leaning towards just seeing if we can find an inexpensive carpet remnant. There's stuff to sell in that room, if I'm a mind to, that could be reinvested back into the room. I'm not sure anyone is buying second hand things for a while though. 

     We need to make the Roth IRA decision by July 15th, but we can defer the decision on DH's work for another three-four months. That will give us time to see how our son's work situation pans out, with perhaps a little glimmer of hope that he'll be back to work by August. We'll have a small reprieve in tuition since the college gave a room and board credit for spring. Basically at the near halfway mark, our 2020 savings goals are to continue treading water until we get closer to land. Much different than 2008 though is the number of years before retirment, and we no longer have the factor of time on our side. How about you? Have you revisited your financial goals you might have set at the start of the year? Have they changed or remained  unaltered? Do you have any decision points on your approaches to savings? 

18 comments:

  1. Ho boy, did they ever change recently. We made a big decision, which means the next year will be interesting here, that's for sure. Nothing to change our lifestyle, but plenty to keep us thinking, with several decisions to make. Meanwhile, I will keep doing what I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds interesting and am interested in hearing more once you decide. I know all families, couple,s indiviudals are differnt, but we all can learn even form differnt circumstances.

      Delete
  2. We were planning to reach the halfway goal on our (HUGE) mortgage this year. We opted to save more in cash, due to the uncertainty around COVID & the market. We've also been investing more in small housing upgrades, both because we're home to be around for projects, and also because we'll be home a lot in the near future. As a result, we'll likely hit our savings goal maybe 6 months after our projected finish date. We're okay with that, although would have loved to hit our original target.

    We also benefited from the tax payment extension date quite a bit, as it allowed us to avoid having to drum up money with the market was in a terrible place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to help my youngest with her taxes form last summer. I think it will be neutrl-we claimed her, but she also didn't make very much at all, so her tax bite shuld be minimal andnot more than they took out. I've determined if I need to delay retirement 6 months to a year, it will be fine, but then I will use evey minute of my vacation.

      Delete
  3. Everything here is different now, as I suspect it is with most people. The portfolio took a big hit. Fortunately TheHub is salaried so that remains the same, but the bonus part will not happen this year. It has always been "extra" and not what we live on but it was always nice to have. Life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surpised my husband still eanred a perk for the corporation. It helped withthe pain of income loss. We are still fortunate and that the decsion of when to retire is still ours.

      Delete
  4. We lost over $160,000 CAD between end of February and March, now we are only down about $30,000 so it's come back hugely (mostly retirement funds). We don't invest in individual stocks but funds ie specific to an industry like banking. We are pretty careful now that hubby is nearing retirement. What all this has taught us is that all of our frugalness is paying off. Don't panic when funds go down (we didn't) and pick up a few bargains when they head back up (we did). Also hubby has had too much time on his hands with fewer clients....semiretirement is not looking as good to him as it did a few months ago. I can see him working longer now due to boredom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No panic here either-just a lot of thinking aobut priorities. We won't be out buying new boats when the economy changes, and will still be happy with our humble meals. Even our huge faily vaction was done frugally-could have been more if we hadn't had to change dates! We'll likley continue to have humble fun for the foseeable future.

      Delete
  5. Our investments are back up but this has been a bust year. With the shop missing Prom season and many weddings and just alterations in general I am really down, so all my plans for paying off the car and saving are really out the window. Plus doing all this work on the house takes every penny I earn and then some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely we'll buckle down every yer for a while, try to make up for this hellish financial year, and remember what is most important in our life.

      Delete
  6. we've had to rethink our goals this year, our retirement funds are recovering steadily and its really made me rethink how big an emergency fund I want before I retire. Australia has just gone into recession & do not have confidence in our government to manage it well so we are just focusing on mortgage reduction & spending as little as possible for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really rethinking cash as well. Forget 6 months of lving expenses, if we have another turn inthe economy after retirement, I want to make sure we have at leat a years worth. Of course by then, we'll just have the two of us an dno more college, but life still will throw curveballs.

      Delete
  7. The only thing I will add is if you can max out retirement accounts do it. Even if it means tightening a belt now by foregoing spending more on life now. You will thank me some day.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that likley is where we'll go- and leanr how to get even skinnier as needed. I know chirstimas will be light this year, and I am OK with that.

      Delete
  8. Alas I do not have a partner who is interested in planning a budget; I wish to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can oversee wht you do though, and at least know wher eyour combined expeonses and eanrings are. It's not easy, and fortunaltey I and my husband are in sync.

      Delete
  9. Gosh I'm so glad I don't have to manage retirement funds. I know it's a question of what you're used to but I would be totally lost. I'm extremely lucky that my pension is a private, final salary pension although I'm not sure how much longer they will be around either. It's scary at the moment isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a small pension, but most of our retirement until we hit Social Security age will be our work based retirment accoutns-the ones with all the volatility! I don't need to live lavish in retirment, but with kids spread out, I'd like to be ale to visit them, and help them visit us. Plus travel on the cheap if tha tis possible.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.