Sunday, June 7, 2020

June Meals and Some Spending updates

     We are at June 7th and already have spent $119 on Household and groceries (H&G),$8 on take out last night, and another $8.56 on Arby's. DH was once of the first to get a haircut with the newly opened Barber and to celebrate, he wanted an Arby's Reuben, 2 for $8 I think, and dropped one off for me at my daughters. I was package waiting for her so worked form there on Thursday. I was lazy and bought both Reeser's potato and pasta salad, plus other easy foods. $176 with only one week into the month puts us on the trajectory for $700 for all household and food for the month  Yesterday I spent the day cleaning  and organizing food stuffs so will know better what we actually need, and maybe get it knocked down a bit lower. As I wrote on Friday I am so very tired of cooking and thinking about meals and I feel like progress I've made in healthier eating has been nullified. (Edit-DH went to the lake and I sent with him chicken and baked beans. I had a headache come on quick and neither wanted the car ride, nor a lot of people around.) I made some muffins for breakfast and tonight when we get home it will be fend for everyone's self, with a fresh start tomorrow for the week. I'd like to think I will focus a bit on improved eating by focusing on a lot of salad greens and vegetables. We'll see. 

Monday: Chicken with potato wedges and salad (It's supposed to be a scorcher on Monday)
Tuesday: Spaghetti with a healthier sauce of tomatoes, carrots, onions, and zucchini
Wednesday: Tacos with lettuce, tomato, cheese, beans and rice
Thursday: Pork loin, mashed potates and steamed vegetables. Shredding the pork for meals for DH and DD2 so will pick up some good bakery rolls.
Friday: I'll be a the cabin as we're prepping for the shower, but will leave a combination of leftovers and salad with toppings for DH and DD2. This is her first week of working both jobs, so not sure how much she'll be around and how her meal time will be. She'll need things to grab and go. 
Saturday: Depending on the weather and schedules, I may be at the cabin and would just grab food for grilling. 

     This week our state moves the dial a bit more Thursday with restaurants at up to 50% capacity. Things like gyms open at 25% capacity with stricter health, safety, and cleaning requirements. I'll continue to take precautions while watching the change in hospitalizations and recovery, which I think is the number to watch as with more testing, there will be more cases counted. It still feels very abnormal, though what was normal before wasn't working well for everyone. I can try and at least try and put more balance in my own household at least in the kitchen. 

15 comments:

  1. The kids and I cut my husband's hair yesterday. It actually looks pretty good. There was one sort of dicey section, but luckily, it's hidden behind his ears. :-)

    I find myself bored silly of cooking these days. My husband cooked yesterday, so I'll cook tonight. I find when I avoid meal planning & bulk cooking, it just gets harder as the week goes on. So, I'll make it happen today, but a bit begrudgingly.

    I'm also planning to make muffins to take to the beach, and I made taco meat yesterday & stuck it in the freezer. After a 12 hour drive there (hopefully that's as long as it takes), we'll have a quick meal we can pull out of the freezer until we can get to the store the following day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always plan so well for you drives to your vacation home. DH has very difficult hair to cut-it is stick straight, very think, and he likes it a very specific way. Considering he hadn't had a cut since March 12th, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. He's normally a 4-6 week hair cut guy.

      Delete
  2. I am not going to get a haircut even when I can. I will cut my own for a while. Tommy will get a haircut from me, too. His cousin wants to go for lunch in a few weeks. I want to get something to take to a park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll still have the girls cut my hair, and home color. Then, this fall, I'll treat myself to a real cut and color.

      Delete
  3. I hope you have a good day at the lake. I suspect that our lockdown will be eased further, but still feel that it's too soon. My husband should finally get PPE in his work at the hospital on 15th June. Some in his department have tested positive for antibodies, only having had loss of taste. At the time it wasn't officially recognised as a symptom in the UK, so they were told they had to work. It's a wonder it hasn't gone through the department like wildfire. My husband is going to book his antibody test this week. It will be interesting to see the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a pounding headache that cam eon quick, after I hit publish, so decided something was telling me to stay home-no work, no extended family. DH went and my kid needs to work. I'm trying to be better about not putting myself in situations that I know will increase my stress and anxiety and DH's family, when I have a headache will do it for me. I hope your husbands test goes well and they all can stay safe.

      Delete
    2. Scarlet-FYI, I am getting errors when I try and accept the invite to your blog. It might be because I gave the e-mail I sue for this blog for people to contact me, but not the original Google Account e-mail I set this blog up from. If you can message me or at samandcoffee65@gmail.com, I can give you that e-mail which is my daily use one.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry you had a headache, know how bloody well I feel like cooking when I don't feel good. We all just do the best that we can. If you load up on fruit and veggies in your fridge it is difficult to avoid them (we loaded up last weekend and still have loads!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I start with hat veggies will we eat, I can build the proteins and carbs around. I stocked up on several bags of frozen, as they are so versatile, but love the fresh stuff more.

      Delete
  5. Oh, sorry you had a headache....last thing I'd want with a headache is extended family.
    Tired today, up from about 2 a.m. because the stray cat my daughter rescued decided to let her water break all over our bed. About 4 house later we were 6 cats richer. DD is overjoyed. I am exhausted. No, we are not keeping them, no, No, NO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! You are the third person I heard about that adopted a pregnant cat. Poor babies!

      Delete
    2. Why won't people spay and neuter?!?!?!? We have free services. How am I supposed to find homes for this many cats? GRRRR!

      Delete
    3. The non-spaying and neutering, and then to basically let your cat go wild. So sad.

      Delete
  6. Our state has been "open" for 3 weeks and percentage of positive cases has been declining. I am taking that as a positive sign. I still wear mask while out but am glad businesses have reopened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I anticipate the number of cases will increase, but % will decrease as testing becomes more side spread, but finally data to inform decisions rather than just models and best interpretation. I really do not see the fuss anti-mask people have. If it helps a smidge, isn't that smidge worth it to not accidentally spread! It's like flip flops in public showers!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.