Friday, June 5, 2020

When You're Sick of Cooking Kind of Cooking

     I want to get my cooking interest back, but it's going to take some time. I've never been a huge summer cook anyway-stuff on the grill, side salad, pasta, salad, fruit, that's about what interests me. My lack of interest in foods sure never shows up in weight loss though. We still have to eat, and since I've blown the H&G budget up as big as a bouncy castle, I can't just resort to take out. Here's a few things I bunged together in recent weeks. Apologies for no pictures-they were not really photo worthy anyway. These are my made up names, and all spice and seasoning are to taste. These are all things I pretty much have at any given time around the kitchen, so no special trips to the store. Both are vegan as m older daughter was over. DH didn't eat this version of curry either, so had a piece of chicken and a couple baked potatoes. 

Simple Chili Curry

One medium diced onion
Two large carrots sliced and halved
two medium potatoes, diced bit size
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can chick peas
currypwder
garlic powder
chili powder
salt, pepper
heaping tp veggie powder
two cups water
Olive oil
I sautéed the onion in  bit of olive oil, then added the carrot, several shakes of garlic, salt, and pepper, and let it all carmelize a bit. next the veggie powder and t cups of water, Heat on high to get broth bubbling, then turn down to simmer. I added the potato when the carrots were about 50% of how we like them. After five minutes I added the can of tomato, the chick peas, more pepper, chili powder, and curry powder, and let the whole simmer for about 15 minute. I checked the flavor added more seasoning, and simmered another 10 minutes or so until the potato and carrot full cooked, but not too soft. We at over rice with garlic naan bread. 

Penne Pasta with Spinach and Zuchini

Literally just layer a mix of canned pasta sauce, small can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of water, and heavy amounts of garlic and Italian seasoning with dry penne pasta, thawed frozen spinach and sliced zucchini in the crock pot.

Sauce/seasonin-penne-spinach-zuchini-sauce-seasoing-penne-spiniach-zuchini-sauce- seasoining 

If you have mushrooms, cherry tomato, onion and you want to add, go ahead. I set the crock for high and forget it for two hours, then turn down to warm to let it sort of set. 

     I'll try and grab a photo when no doubt both end up being made when I am tired of cooking but we need a meal planned. Both originated through a combination of use what I have, and try and make it somewhat healthy and filling. Not a clue what we'll be eating this weekend, but my kitchen never did get it's May deep clean, so that is in order. Who knows what I'll find lurking that needs using up. 


10 comments:

  1. I've been organizing in my kitchen and my recipes, so I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I love to be in this type of mindset because I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you are sick of cooking. I don't like it when I am in that frame of mind because then cooking feels like a chore. I hope you get your feel for cooking back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well. Anne forom Cooking and All that Jazz shared a salad recipe, that I'm actually excited to try todnight!

      Delete
  2. When I realized I had cooked rice in the freezer plus a small piece of smoked, cooked ham in the fridge I ended up making up my own recipe for fried rice, and rather good it was too making a nice change. But I know what you mean about getting sick of cooking (and eating - although it's not making much of a difference to my weight sad to say)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat so much rice-I'm getting bored with it, but it is very versatile. That darn weight just doens't want to shift.

      Delete
  3. I need to make a menu for this week. Something to use up what we have before we head to Oregon, and generate leftovers that people will want to eat during the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kitchen needs a deep clean before any more shopping other than if we need fruit-that is prioirty this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I often put a variety of things in the crockpot and just let the pot do its thing. It is always good. I was given two huge bags of Romaine, chopped. So, it is salad time until it is gone. Tommy gets his own lunch unless I am hungry at the same time and offer to make his. Today, he came back from the kitchen with just Romaine and dressing. So, I brought him other veggies for the top. Salads are such a happy food to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But no fruit for his green stuff, right?

      Delete
  5. For years I have put things in the freezer that stand in for the times when I don't feel like cooking. The items change with our tastes. Our newest favorite is cook from frozen breaded chicken breasts. There are a number of brands you can buy--we were introduced to them via Costco's sample of Tyson's. Heat at 425 for 35 minutes, and I serve with salad, and a can of baked beans (if I have it on hand.) They conveniently cook at the same temperature as sweet potato wedges, another family favorite compliments of one of your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tyson, or Tyson like chicken tenders are one of my husbands favorites for quick meals-I need ot remember to get a bag if available. They are versatile as you said.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.