Saturday, June 6, 2020

Travelling and Wish Lists

     It's a very trivial side effect of the stay at home orders, but one thing I will miss is the idea of free range travel at least for the near future. Readers know that I love planning and going on trips, despite our limited travel funds, my whole family has had opportunities I would have never dreamed of as a child. I love seeing life in other parts of my country, other places in the world. I pretty much have only done so as a tourist, which to my discredit, is not really seeing the other parts of my country and the other places in the world. Someday though, I want to be able to spend weeks in a location, really feeling part of the community, if that is possible. I don't want it to be a snow bird community though. I know my in-laws loved their retirement community, with two pools, only one of which guests could use, pickle ball courts, and golf carts to tool around the neighborhood the 12 years they wintered in Arizona. That is not us, or at least not me. I want to be near families, and see kids on their way to school, and people doing their every day and Saturday errands. I want the pubs where the locals go, and even if I am only a visitor, the servers get to know my drink of choice!

     It was lovely visiting my daughter when she was a student outside of London. Yes, we did all the touristy things, but we also had a least part of a day where we went to the grocery store with her, saw her campus where she was taking classes, and ate at one of the restaurants she and friends liked, but rarely went to because of student budgets. While she was in class, we wandered her town center, found a book store, a coffee shop, and just planted ourselves for a bit, off the tourist path.

     We loved our stay in a beautiful apartment in the 16th arondissement in Paris instead of a hotel. We walked to Monoprix for provisions, including delicious wine at mind blowing low process, and dropped by the boulangerie for morning baguettes and croissants. Sometimes our timing worked out that the produce man was selling at the top of the stairs leading to the Passe stop. We loved eating at both a pizza place and a corner pub (if that what they are called in Paris) that seemed to have more locals than tourists. I have two simple memories of the trip that stick out. One was my family gathered around the kitchen counter with wine and juice, cheese, bread and fruit, the hot steamy August air and neighborhood sounds coming through the open windows. The other is the five of us enjoying oranges just bought at a small market (where we got scolded because we touched the fruit-I had forgotten the rule), sitting in a park with the shadow of the Eifel Tower looming over us. Where I live, we don't get to buy oranges like that.

     No one is doing traveling now-even travel bloggers and vloggers are rooted at home. The world is feeling smaller again to me, and a bit isolated. In actuality, this health crisis should help us realize that public health is  massive, and changes and escalation spreads fast. Hopefully treatment, cures, and most needed, prevention will spread equally as fast. Once that happens, we can all think about our personal worlds growing again. Until then, dreaming and creating wish lists have no geographic boundaries. I can look ahead over the next 20, maybe 30 years if I can stay reasonably healthy, and think of all the things I want to do in places both near and far. Here's a part of my wish list that I'll be dreaming of. Admittedly, it's all over the place=all over the map.

  • Visiting our son in California
  • Camping in Yellow Stone
  • Seeing the Grand Canyon
  • Seeing the Hoover Damn
  • Spending a day on a sail boat on the ocean
  • Spending some time at a cabin in the Rockies, the Ozarks, the Appalachians
  • Staying in a house on one of the Maine Island Communities
  • Seeing a Broadway play, with my family, in December in New York followed by or preceded by a visit to Serendipidty
  • Joining my girls on a state park and waterfall trip
  • Real afternoon tea in London, or anywhere else in the UK
  • Hiking Hadrians Wall in Scotland Edit: My mistake as corrected in the comments. It is not in Scotland, but northern England! 
  • Staying in a village in Cornwall, like Doc Martins Port Wen
  • Visiting our daughter, hopefully, who will still get to study abroad in Spain and a long stretch China; the Spain part is on our list. 
  • Living for a few weeks or longer where groceries are all bought in a market-not a grocery store or big box store. I'm thinking some place along the lines of Borough Market in London

     There're places I want to go that I don't even know I want to go there yet! I don't know what the future holds for my kids, but if they are living far from us, I would hope we would be welcome to visit them, though not necessarily stay with them, and be immersed in their lives. It might sound odd, but I enjoyed spending weekends with my daughter in her apartment in Wisconsin, and visiting each of the kids in their college towns. It's the planning and the new that I like. Is travel on your dream list for the post Corona virus world? Is there one particular place you have always wanted to go, or like me, are you all over the map literally with where your mind takes you?  



21 comments:

  1. Like you I am missing the planning and thinking and the actual travel. This was the year we were supposed to take a big vacation to the beach, but have decided not to due to all the restrictions, etc. Ben actually asked me last night when we were going on vacation, and I told him that we weren't this year. It is all so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The appeal of Stay Cations when everyone has been staying home for so long already is hard to get excited about. With movies theaters, them parks, museums, etc. not open, stay=cations will require a lot of planning.

      Delete
  2. It's our 15th anniversary, and my husband & I have never been to Europe together. I've been for work, and to Paris when I was in my 20s. We had planned to go to Italy in October and spend a few weeks exploring.

    If/when the world is back to normal, here's what's on our list:
    -French Polynesia
    -Italy
    -Spain/Portugal
    -Banff
    -Crater Lake (which we drive near, but have never made it happen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banff is on our list for a big road trip-one where we can take at least two weeks-20 days since four would be spent driving, but we'd plan intentional stops along the way as part of the vacation. Italy is and isn't-I never again want to go to a major European city in the summer, but I want to see the sites. I'd like to go to Tuscanny but fear I am movie clouded.

      Delete
  3. A lovely piece, Sam. It has me dreaming of the time when we can all travel again. I went to Turkey twice last year and hope to go again soon: It is the most remarkable country.

    A minor point but Hadrian's Wall is actually in England in my home county of Northumberland rather than in Scotland. It's a common misconception. Many British people actually assume that the Wall is on the border with Scotland but it actually a bit further south than that. I hope you still come to visit, even though it isn't in Scotland. Northumberland is a beautiful county with some fantastic castles (Alnwick Castle, for example, is where the movie version of Harry Potter's Hogwarts was filmed) and an amazing coastline. You'll be made very welcome, too. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited my post above-I always thought Hadrians Wall was technically Scotland, but happy to know more! Is Norhtumberland the setting for the television show Vera?

      Delete
  4. I would love to go to Italy one day. It's definitely on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be doing some armchair travelling! I did that for five years before we actually went to France two years ago.

      Delete
  5. I am too missing about travel. In my sickness this week I was browsing Air BNBs on nearby islands and found a very inexpensive 1 room cabin on the ocean and ended up booking it for August! I can cancel up to 2 weeks out and feel pretty safe and secure (at least right now there haven't been any cases here on the island for a month). I want to return to Mexico (#1), Greece, go to Turkey and Thailand. Those all may wait a few years. I am 99 % certain we won't be going to Mexico even though have the air and hotel. We have lost about $1000 but I don't want to go if it isn't safe and it may be near impossible to get medical insurance this year. Next year we have to travel to Ottawa in June for the wedding of our Stepson. That is stressing me a bit. It is so far away (4 day nonstop drive) unless we fly. No sense worrying about it now. They are proceeding either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T-Pol has me wanting to go to Turkey, and several travel vloggers have both Thailand and the Philippines as lovely Asian destinations. I'd love a cabin on an Island. We are going to try and find some Monday Tuesday when no one is going to be at the lake cabin and at least haves have a couple mini breaks.

      Delete
  6. You're going to get lost if you go looking for Hadrian's Wall in Scotland.
    I have huge ties to the U.K., as that's where I met my husband. I could spend another 5 days in London going nowhere but The Tower of London and Westminster Abbey, and still not feel as if I was there long enough to cover it. I always dreamed of doing a canal boat trip with the kids, but that will remain a dream. I have plans to head to Italy with a friend a year from October. It was planned for this October, but we read the writing on the wall, and halted plans shortly after Christmas, thankfully, losing nothing.
    The funny thing about travel is, as much as I love BEING in new places, I detest getting there. (Odd for a pilot's wife, no?) As for a family trip--we are at stages where, regardless of the world's circumstances, that isn't really feasible, nor would it be overwhelmingly enjoyable with the different preferences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heloise corrected my geographical error, but also said it was a common misthought. I guess I had made an assumption your husband was a retired pilot-maybe you said before, but I wouldn't find it odd that the "getting there" there is the least enjoyable part. I don't like the process either-once in flight, I'm good, but the check-in, wait, boarding etc. is stressful. You never knw. I don't have as many kid as you, but going tow summers ago with a 29, 27, and 17 year old was a great vacation for our family. Maybe when all are a bit older you'll go on at least one big family vacation.

      Delete
  7. There are many places in the world I have yet to see (Angkor Was is high on my bucket list), but I really want to see the oddest places in all 50 states, and eat at the best restaurant and best dive in all 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So my odd thing of travelling is going in grocery stores in different places! I love it. I've seen some odd tourist attractions-never gets old.

      Delete
  8. What is the rule about touching fruit? Australia, England for Stonehenge, Greece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are supposed to tell the fruit stand person how much, how many you want and they bag. I knew that but forgot to mention to my daughter as she was looking for her orange. Now I guess that should be the norm-even in self service to only touch what you will buy.

      Delete
  9. I am missing our trips away. We spend on those rather than 'stuff'. We use Airbnb and have stayed in some very quirky places - a brick shed at the end of someone's garden and a converted shipping container amongst them. We had a trip away just before lockdown, which I'm really glad we did, as I have no idea when our next one will be. My elder daughter and son-in-law had booked a trip driving through Italy for last month, but that had to be cancelled. She is like you, and really enjoys the planning, so was disappointed that they couldn't go. Maybe next year.
    Hadrian's Wall is wonderful. I love Housesteads Fort; wild and windswept with amazing views. I first visited when I was 11; I was hooked and have visited a number of times since. Cornwall is stunningly beautiful, but we missed our usual May trip this year due to lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retirement, we will spend weeks and months n the same places. I'd love to stay close enough to be able to meet up with blog friends too, but we'll cross that planning bridge in about 7-8 years.

      Delete
  10. I lived in London for five years in my early 20s. I loved it! Someday I'll get back. It's been a very long time, I expect it's changed a lot. Celie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything change and what we experience in our youth is much different than as an older adult. As Meg said above, there are places I could spend hours and days in, the galleries being one.

      Delete
  11. Although I love where I live I am starting to chomp at the bit with wanting to travel again. I'm thinking Mexico or Thailand next winter but just to be able to cross the border into Switzerland and see my son would do it for me right now. And as for the markets, I always pick my own fruit and veg - here it's no problem. But when I go to Turin I learned pretty quickly that you don't help yourself. The stall holder bags it for you. Live and learn I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.