Sunday, July 5, 2020

Holiday Weekend Meals and the Week Ahead

     


     Last week our meals were kind of a hodge-podge again, but other than last Friday's Take and Bake pizza with planned leftovers, did not do take out. 

Sunday: Beyond Burgers, potato salad all vegan, made by DD1
Monday: Spaghetti and meatballs
Tuesday: Chow Mein, pot stickers/cream cheese wantons
Wednesday: Meatballs in mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes or rice (DD2)
Thursday: Chicken stuffing hot dish and mashed potatoes
Friday: Cheese ravioli in tomato sauce
Saturday: At Lake-Kabobs, fruit-later old fashion hot dogs, fruit, chips

     Being that it is so terribly hot this weekend, the large number of people and our own dog's needs, we're having an odd July 4th weekend. I had Thursday off as my flex day, and then Friday was my work holiday. DH and I both got some home admin done on Thursday, and really just had a relaxing day. He had to work on Friday, but I used the time to get laundry caught up, grocery shop, and start some of my July goals. DD2 had an actual day off from both jobs-wasn't scheduled at the restaurant and it was the school holiday. She left early to meet a few friends at a cabin about 90 minutes from us, where all are expected to be outdoors, but then was home later as she has to work the rest of the weekend. DH and I went to the lake yesterday, and he stayed overnight, but I came home for the dog, and will go back up this morning. We are only an hour away, so not much farther than my work commute in normal times and this worked better for us. I didn't need to be part of the evening fire drinking and loud fireworks, and our dog would be distraught being alone overnight with them going off in our neighborhood. 

     When DH or I come, we wipe everything down with Clorox wipes and spray, including door handles. With so many people there, we basically both walk around with the wipes or spray, and keep ourselves either outside spread apart, or our bedroom and the bathroom as needed (wipes in hand). We're not lingering with others unless we can be outside and spread out. This was our compromise to being able to enjoy the cabin this summer, while doing what we can to protect ourselves. His sister and brother-in-law are being just as cautious, but his brother's family has not really changed their actions-kids still run in and out all day, he talks loud and often and right in your face so we back up, and in the kitchen space, wearing no mask while they prepare foods.I think I'm learning not to be frustrated  and just control what I can. DH is worried about sharing the grill and all the touching of utensils at the lake when we are not there alone, so I prepped food at home for us, and his mom if she chose to share, but avoided any communal food. I know someone said not to worry about shared potato salad, but this is working out just fine and I feel comfortable. We brought the air fryer along to reheat chicken and veggie kabobs made at home, and old fashion hotdogs. I had pre-washed, cut and readied fruit, and splurged on individual bags of snacks. Not green I know, but we are trying to enjoy the time at the lake, and  stay  socially distanced so keeping to take-out like food options. I'm bringing along a picnic for DH and me today, along with enough extra for anyone else that would like, with individual portions. What we don't eat will be eaten at home tomorrow and Tuesday. We have our own cooler of ice so we do not need to go in and out of the shared refrigerators. 

     The rest of the week will be easy peasy meals. When I shopped Friday, I had these in mind. Some things I already had on hand and didn't need to buy anything more. Last week when I picked up a few things and dog food at our local store, I bought a large bought of Minute Rice, and likely will keep buying for the summer because of the ease, though will still use long grain rice.

Curry/Tika Masala using the awesome Aldi sauce I found, rice
Veggie Fried rice, which  chicken cooked in a General Tso sauce from Aldi
Burrito bowls with rice and refried beans
Meatballs and gravy over rice and or potatoes (DD2 has been on a rice kick for most meals-why I bought the Minute Rice)
Spaghetti and meat sauce
Ravioli in mushroom white sauce
Frozen Pizza
Homemade chicken tenders, homemade potato wedges
Stir fry vegetables and chicken satay (using the General Tso sauce for the skewers) with rice

Unless absolutely necessary, I am logging off at 5:30 each work day starting tomorrow, plus planning to take my flex day every other Friday. No one is telling me not to take the time, nor is anyone telling me to stay on-line so late. With these boundaries for myself set, I'll need to focus with more intention during the day. These menu options are easy to pull together between the time I log off and when DH and DD2 get home. I feel like July needs more order, more personal space between my time and work time, and a combination of relaxation and fun in our evenings.Wish me luck on this resolve. 


16 comments:

  1. Setting firm boundaries is a good idea and will keep you sane during the work from home ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sane left the building two months ago. I'm trying to lure it back. Yes, I should have done this a long time ago.

      Delete
  2. We're all having to adapt to the virus and the changes it brings with it aren't we at our own pace and our own level. I try to socially distance wherever possible and always wear a mask and gloves in shops or when I'm at clients' houses. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear gloves, only because I'm washing my hands right away when ever I am in a store and carry the sanitizer in my car too.I really am trying to make sure when I interact in stores, that I am not touching anything but what I buy, and want to keep me from possibly being the spreader.

      Delete
  3. I have never been to Aldis but if they have a good tika masala sauce I would go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only bought one at the time, and I hope they keep carrying it because it was a winner. I will grab an extra each time as I think it would be a good meal my college kid can make in a crock pot at school if allowed, or on a stove top. She has a kichennette next year.

      Delete
  4. We all need to set limits on our work hours. Mental health care is so important. Take the time for yourself and family. Good luck! Celie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day one of my new resolve. I'm not logged in yet-that will be at 7:30, and then setting a timer for 5:15 to remind me to wind down so I can log off by 5:30.

      Delete
  5. I think if your comfort zone dictates no shared food then you should not share it. I did cook for our entire family without a mask, but they all know I have been no where, plus they all know I am a freak about hand washing and washing every utensil as soon as it is used in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have no problem sharing food when I trusted the practices and how everyone is maintaining their space, but that part of the family basically confirmed they are not doing anything different whatsoever unless required to, and so I no I need to just cover my own families steps. This worked fine. We still visited with everyone, just did stand with each other in the kitchen and didn't eat side by side. I even played a game with my niece and nephew in the water that was always spread out, but they just saw it as fun.

      Delete
  6. I've found setting the limits on work even more important since working from home to try and get some separation between work and home. Your menus look quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be a good week to hold myself accountable to these things. IF I can get a routine down, by August it should feel a bit more normal.

      Delete
  7. Having your own ice chest is important. People spend time gathering at ice chests, not to mention many hands in the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just made sense to do this, and it worked well.

      Delete
  8. Good for you for logging off on time. Like you say, no-one is telling you to stay online but I bet you still feel guilty right? And being able to go up to the lake place in just one hour sounds lovely! Hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice time, and I felt good coming home with the dog so he had his mama when all the fireworks were going off-last night was just a few thankfully.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.