Saturday, July 4, 2020

New Goals for July

     Let's see again if we can jump start the year with some forward thinking. There will be nothing grandiose to aim for in July, but at least I'm telling myself that I need some goals and intentional focus. 

Health
  • As the weather has been steamy, I have been shortening my walks with pup to just what he needs to do his business. My goal this month is to walk every morning within, at least 20-30 minutes prior to logging on for work
  • Take at least one of my two schedule flex days. Ideally, I should take both, but if my goal will be at least one
  • Cut my coffee consumption to not more than two cups per morning. The Keurig has ben clogged, so I've been making pots, which has me drinking twice as much. 
Organization
  • I have this crazy idea to make a crazy quilt, basic sewing of random squares of fabric. To make this economical, I want to purge a minimum of three items of clothing that is not fit to donate and cut into squares towards this eventual project. If I do this each month until January, that should give me a project for the cold dark evenings, while getting rid of stuff.
  • Purge my linen closet and organize. 
  • Decalcify the Keurig-see under health goals!
  • Start a Christmas in July list-thinking now about hw to make Christmas just as special or more so, in light of the state of the world and finances. This gives me another purpose for my 2020 planner.
Social/Fun
  • Play tennis at least one time per week
  • Build 2 nights (tennis can be one) activity into my calendar for evenings
  • Get to the lake with DH at least twice this month (maybe swapping one of my flex day Fridays for his Thursday day off)
  • Schedule a walk with my mom's friends
  • Read at least one new to me book and author, plus a second book of my choice
  • Help with and attend a 60th birthday celebration (safely) for my sister. This is the sister that lost her husband in March. 
Money
  • Make final decision and act on the Roth investment for 2019 by July 15th
  • Help DD2 with her taxes by July 15
  • Earn another Microsoft rewards gift. Also, try not to miss a day, as that loses me 150 points minimum. Do any other survey opportunities.
  • Inventory gift card balances-perhaps in conjunction with the Christmas in July planning. 
     See-nothing really far fetched, mind boggling, or adventurous, yet tangible and down in type. May goals were a bust-I didn't even bother to go back and track, and in June, I never bothered to set goals. I think I've gotten into my head that a goal needs to be above and beyond normal life and needs; sometimes the best goals are doing things that keep us treading water. 


16 comments:

  1. Sometimes I miss a day on Microsoft Rewards too. I try not to but it does happen. I hope you meet all of your July goals, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five days, and 26th go! I just earned the $5 I should have leaned in June, so that will be a check, and if I don't miss a day I'll be very close to another one by end of month.

      Delete
  2. I've been talking about making a scrappy quilt for ages - and goodness knows I have enough scraps to do so. I just don't have the oomph for sewing at the moment. Maybe we can both do one before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'll get one done-I still have to make the scrappy pieces, but if I get super motivated, maybe. (I'm not holding my breath!) I have to relearn to sew as well.

      Delete
  3. A Zig Ziglar said, "If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.".
    Goals are important, if only to remind you what you are aiming for. Big or small doesn't matter just have some. Making realistic goals is another matter. lolz I have lowered my expectations for 2020 a LOT! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm "aiming" to only drink two cups of coffee a day-what does that say for my 2020 aspirations? I feel like minimally, I should end the year at least a tad bit healthier-a little less weight, a bit more head space, LOL. Since my anxiety is through the roof about the virus and all residual effects, the health goals are a priority.

      Delete
  4. I tend not to be a goal setter, as I spent a lot of my working life working to targets, and then did the same when I returned to education aged 40. Despite a lack of goals in my life I still manage to achieve quite a lot. For me, the more relaxed attitude to it definitely helps with the achievement. I do sometimes write a list of things that need doing, but they're more of a guide, and a reminder. Treading water is great... it stops you from drowning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be the opposite, I feel like I a s programmed from work and school, to not set personal goals to work towards, I flounder. When I've had goals like saving for a specific project, or creating an event, I feel stronger. I thought maybe mini-goals might help with that. Though, the weather is so hot-playing tennis each weeks if temps will stay in the 90's with high humidity does not sound good-but that's what I need to push towards anyway.

      Delete
  5. I have no lofty goals either. Figuring out how to be the owner of a serger is my hardest and only lofty goal. I think my lack of discontent is partly because I have nothing lofty planned...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A power serger? You have your lovely gardening project. That is a good goal. I'd love to learn how many meals you end up getting gout of your produce. Oh and your freezer purchase. That was a good goal.

      Delete
  6. Crazy quilting is rather addictive! Which method are you using? I used this method. https://www.quilterscache.com/C/CrazyQuiltBlock_Page3.html
    Instead of the muslin she calls for, you can use an old sheet, or any old cotton fabric. I made my finished squares 6x6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Method? I'll lay out all the squares in some sort of color combination, decide if I need more, cut more, then do so again, then stitch them all together. I really know nothing about this, and don't rally care if I am following a guide. That's kind of my point to try this.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see. You're making a scrappy quilt--it's also been called intuitive quilting. One suggesting--cut your squares all the same sizes. 1 1/2, 2, or 3 1/2 inches. I usually stick to 2 inch and 3 1/2 inch squares. Here's why: four 2 inch squares sewn together in a block = one 3 1/2 inch square. Then, you can set the four patches alternately with the 3 1/2 inch squares. Make sense? (Assuming a 1/4 inch seam allowance.) SO EXCITED!!!! You'll make something beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Makes total senses, but in all honestly, what you describe is more complicated than what I have pictured. Maybe for future quilts. I will for sure though be cutting them all the same size.Whether they get sewn together into neat additional blocks is a whole different outcome. We'll see what it looks like come February unless I get very motivated this fall.

      Delete
  7. I've learned to have my goals on a daily calendar that needs constant watching otherwise I don't get nothing done no way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually started putting things on this list in my calendar-then I can check them off.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.