Wednesday, July 1, 2020

My Daughter's Vegan Pantry-Sweet Treats

     I've learned a little bit about alternative baking options that don't rely on animal products and refined sugars. I won't lie-I prefer the taste of the non-vegan items, but that may be more of a familiarity thing. Over time, if I nixed all animal products and refined sugars to the vegan and whole food variety, I'd grow more accustomed to those flavors and pretty sure my old versions would seem odd tasting after a time. You can do your own search of all the alternatives to various ingredients and have much more in depth answers. This post is just my own limited experience on a staple baked good.

  • Flax Seed Eggs, 1 Tbsp ground flax seed, with 3 Tbsp water in place of a large egg
  • Applesauce, pumpkin puree, or mashed bananas in place of oil-though I do find the bananas add a slight banana flavor, though the other two don't really add a change
  • Pure maple syrup in place of both white and brown sugar

Those were my substitution for these peanut butter oat cookies. I did use 1 C of regular baking flour as well.

Flax seed egg, prepared and set aside to side
mixed with 1 mashed banana 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup peanut butter

Separately I had 1 1/2 cups quick oats, 1 cup flour, and 1/2 tsp of both salt and baking soda all mixed together.

     I added the dry to the wet ingredients. Mine was a bit dry so I added a bit more syrup and a few sprinkles of water.  I let the cookie dough cool in the refrigerator about an hour before I baked them up. They sort of stayed the shape they were baking-not much spreading like a regular cookie.  I baked about 9 minutes n a 350 degree oven. 

     Like most of my recipes, it was a bit trial, but I figured the result wouldn't be too bad with the combination of ingredients and I was right. A vegan choclate chip would be a nice addition, or nuts or seeds. I think these easily could be baked in a pan and cut into a bar shape if easier for packing. A nice bonus, all these ingredients are shelf stable, so ingredients will last if you buy in bigger sizes which are more economical. 




Edit: I have been unsuccessful getting ads to only show up on the side bar, as I indicate in my template. If anyone has a trick for that, please let me know. I hate that they now are taking over my page. If no improvment, I will be turning off the adsense. Even though I like the little bit of fun money it gives, it is not worth annoying people. 

14 comments:

  1. I've never used flax egg or applesauce for baking so it's interesting to read how they work. I can imagine the experience of eating something refined sugar free would be quite different to regular sugar, again that's something I've never tried.

    You make a great point about the shelf stable nature of lots of things used in vegan baking, I bake a lot more now I know that a bit of vinegar in some plant milk will help me with a cake rather than having to deal with eggs etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has a lot more tips and changes, but I am taking baby steps with these ingredients. If anyone revisits, let me know if the Adsense got fixed. I apologize for the way it was showing up.

      Delete
  2. I agree that one can get used to new tastes over time. I do not know when exactly refined sugar became available in abundance and cheaply but, watching documentaries about historical food, even royals consumed basic ingredients such as honey, dried fruits, molasses and such. Actually, the industry is dictating us what we would like to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thik we all need to push back and make better food the norm, and then the crap should go by the wayside.

      If anyone revisits, let me know if the Adsense got fixed. I apologize for the way it was showing up.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I'd like to try new options for a few recipes. And, fingers crossed my comment works. It's been a week & I haven't been able to comment on anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone revisits, let me know if the Adsense got fixed. I apologize for the way it was showing up. I think there is some odd things happning in blog land.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry since I've enjoyed your blog but your ads are just too much and now you just had 2 Trump/Pence ones ugh. I won't be reading any more- just wanted to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry! I am asking for help an dif it can't get fixed, I'm nixing adsense. not worth it. I certianly do not want a Trump-Pence Ad.

      Delete
  5. I have used applesauce in place of eggs, never oil, but only in a cake-like pastry, say, a muffin or quick bread, not a cookie. (Pretty sure this was a "Tightwad Gazette" hint, as well.)
    As a vegan, does your daughter eat honey? I know it's a gray area for vegans, some will, because it's made BY bees, not FROM bees, but others won't, because of the chance their may be bee parts (or other bugs) in the honey.
    I will never go to a vegan, or even vegetarian diet, but I certainly am always trying to limit refined products in our diets. I think these things took hold when they represented freedom to our mothers/grandmothers. I think a whole generation of people was raised to thing it wasn't possible to make certain things--they only came from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no desire to go vegan either, but I do like using unprocessed products as much as possible. If I am running low on eggs I have often used the flax seed substitute in baked goods. I can't substitute maple syrup for sugar ever, because TheHub is violently allergic to it.
    I am a tactile eater and if food "feels" funny I don't like it. I can sub applesauce for oil, but pumpkin alters the consistency more than I like. Odd, yes but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No ads today for me. But you can’t choose which ads are shown, can you?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, and after what Nan reported, and th eissues I was having, I'm just going to take off for now.

      Delete
  8. I'm not vegan either, but that looks pretty yummy... And I have flax seed... hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never noticed any ad! So, they are not annoying me. I am not going vegan any time soon. But, I have added banana for the fat, just because of calories.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.