Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Positively Tuesday-Delayed Post and Here's Why

     Monday started out very normal. We had a pretty relaxing weekend and I was ready for a new work week to start. I got in four productive hour before I stopped to have lunch with my daughter. Unfortunately my EoE decided to flare up, and with the first bite, my throat closed and the normal unpleasantness began-and wouldn't stop. I also had severe chest pains, and I couldn't even keep saliva down. My daughter had already gone to work before the worst started but I started tryng to figure out what urgent care options might be. I called DH and he got me to the ER. Three hours later and they couldn't get my throat to open, while I was progressively getting worse with pain and vomiting. A last ditch effort involved them giving me two medications intravenously and drink a fizzy medicine. The combination was to try and bubble up any potential small particles of food that might have been lodged when my throat closed. The effect was awful, like a hurricane. They waited 10 minutes and had me try water. No luck, that came out as well.

     I ended up having a trip to a large hospital in St Paul, where I had to be dropped off at the ED entrance for processing, though they were preparing for me to have a procedure to scope and clear and widen my throat. Due to all the COVID precautions, it felt quite eery and sad to see so many ill or hurt people with no one with them. Once in, the ED doctor tried the water  plan again, just in case it would save me the procedure. No luck. Two hours later I was in surgery, and by 12:30 DH had picked me up and got me back home. Apparently there was a combination of a little food but also some loose throat tissue, which was not going to come off with vomiting. Needless to say,yesterday I had a very sore throat and was very tired and had cob webs in my head from the anesthesia. I have a new dose of medication now, and hopefully that will help again. I also have to eat a bland diet for a while, and slowly see what foods might set off the constriction. 

     Where is the positive in this? Well, I'm lucky that I have access to medical care and it ended successfully. With all the precautions, they did a COVID test and it came back negative. That was a real fear as I did not want to expose either medical team since I couldn't keep a mask on while vomiting. I got to witness the real heroes in action, from the staff checking folks in with screening questions, to lab technician, to nurses, doctors, surgeon, and service staff. I lost track for sure but think I had interaction with no less than 20 medical professionals in this single day ordeal, and all were kind and efficient, but juggling a whole lot, particularly in my local hospital ED, where they had one doctor on duty and perhaps two nurses. 

     I'm going to have a large out of pocket bill because of ending up out of my primary network, but I am hoping our medical account covers the bulk of it. We'll perhaps postpone my sleep mouth guard and an elective procedure for DH until after January 1 so we can use the account next year. We'll decide after we get the bill. The second half of 2020 is continuing to be a roller coaster. I was looking for a little activity to put in the calendar. I think I'll rethink that hope, and just ride out the rest of the month and be satisfied with calm evenings.. 

33 comments:

  1. That sounds horrid, Sam. I hope you are soon feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sow going on the sallowing, but feeling better. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. What the hell, hope you feel better today but bet your throat will be sore. I'm sorry but what is E and E and do you get it often. You need to just rest today and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i typed it wrong EoE, whichis is short for Eosinophilic esophagitis a chronic immune system disease that has symptoms like trouble swallowing and chest pain. It happens when white blood cells, called eosinophils, build up in your esophagus, the tube that connects your mouth to your stomach. (copied information-heck if I could explain it.)

      Delete
  3. Goodness me, what a scary experience. Hope you're feeling a bit better now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sore hroat, and would love some slid food, but doing well.

      Delete
  4. OMG, how scary! I'm glad you are ok. What an ordeal. I have never heard of E and E either, what is this condition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i typed it wrong EoE, whichis is short for Eosinophilic esophagitis a chronic immune system disease that has symptoms like trouble swallowing and chest pain. It happens when white blood cells, called eosinophils, build up in your esophagus, the tube that connects your mouth to your stomach. (copied information-heck if I could explain it.)

      Delete
  5. I thought it was unusual for you not to post. What a fright, but I'm glad they got you sorted. And you're right, the medical staff really are unsung heroes aren't they. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I knew it was not heart and they could help me, it was less scary. The medical teams were so good.

      Delete
  6. That sounds so scary & awful. Fingers crossed for a fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recovery will be fine-and I hope to figure out what pushes the flare ups, but like RA, never completley sure.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, Sam. How awful for you. I hope today is a better day and you can figure this out by slowly introducing foods till you figure it out. Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pork may be a culprit. I can remember several incidences where it happend with pork on the menu. Nothing lse stands out. I already know shell fish causes it.

      Delete
  8. How terrifying. I hope you are able to take some time off and relax. I am glad you were able to get to a doctor so quickly. I think ready access to health care is something I take for granted.
    You might want to call the hospital when the bill comes/insurance kicks in. They may lower or waive the remainder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping snce COVID and my regualr clinic coulnd take me, nor could the local urgent care, that there will be coordiantion with our insurance.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry, this happens to Hubs also and he has had this procedure 3 times. Get well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a crappy thing, I hope we figure out the food cnnection if there is one. Pork might be part of th eissue-whihc saddens me.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry for your ordeal. I hope you are recovering quickly and it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. this was by far the worst occurrence.

      Delete
  11. oh that sounds quite frightening, hope you are feeling better and can have a rest today. Do food allergies play a part - I have not heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food allergies cause the swelling of rings that develop in the throat. When they swell, the blockage occurrs.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a fun day/evening....not! I hope you feel better soon.
    I think Sam means EoE not E and E for her medical disorder(so you can look it up and she doesn't have to explain it right now). It sounds scary and I am sure it's frightening to have it act up.
    Feel better. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes EoE-I wasn't thinking well, abd the fullname is Eosinophilic esophagitis, but heck if I can say it.

      Delete
  13. I have that, but it is not that i eat mammal meat today and have a reaction. The effects of eating mammal meat will show up later. I could not breathe and thought i was going to die. I was headed to the bathroom when the throwing up started, but i decided if i could get to the street maybe someone could save me. I could not speak and was on the phone when it happened. My friend was actually angry i would not talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so much worse! I will have to watch and record triggers, but hopefully my new dose of omeprizole will control the worst.

      Delete
    2. The kid i was talking to in the store was Black. That was what made it worse.

      Delete
    3. SAM,
      I misspoke. I am allergic to mammal products--meat, milk, cheese, anything. Anything that suckles its young is not something i am supposed to have. But, i do drink milk, eat cheese and such.

      Delete
  14. That sounds terrifying! I’m so glad that you were able to get such good care and are able to recover at home now. I have an anaphylactic reaction to most antibiotics so I know the fear of having your throat close in. But your condition sounds so much more awful. Take care! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joann. Fortunately, when my throat closes, my airway isn't blocked. I can breath-just very uncomfortable and painful.

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness, hope your new dose of medication helps to keep things under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be on a bland diet for a while and slowly reintroducing things too to see if the triggers are better found.

      Delete
  16. Oh Sam, what a terrible condition. Glad you are out now. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.