Thursday, July 9, 2020

Thrifty Thursday and the Week That Went Kaplewey

     Well thank you July. You were supposed to be my start at a whole new way to be a woman of thrift. I was going to dedicate my time to  things of meaning and maximize  the use of resources and minimize my families footprint on earth. July was going to jump start a more positive view of our finances and control of our money. Well, someone is laughing at those plans. Since I last left you on this topic, I've no doubt racked up co-pay and deductible expenses that will well exceed my medical flex account for my throat closing episode. What started out as a good week went kaplewey on Monday with my medical adventure, losing a whole lot of time and money. We had extra gas as DH had to make two 50 mile round trips in one day from our home to St Paul. Stressed and tired, he and DD2 got take out pizza and pasta. So this post is going to be a real stretch, but I'll give it a try to capture some thrift in time, resources, and money. Much will involve other family members. 


Time 

  • DH and I were the last to leave on Sunday afternoon and had the cabin for several hours to ourselves-this rarely happens and for DH, never happens. He actually got two back to back days there, and a solo early morning canoe paddle before anyone else was up. He is now at the 42 month mark to retirement unless something unpredictable and uncontrollable happens and he will do well in retirement. 
  • My older daughter came over Tuesday after her work day ended and hung out with me a bit as she wasn't comfortable me being home all afternoon alone. She took pup for his walk so I could rest, and stuck around to see her dad and sister, then the girls also went for a long walk. 
Resources
  • I maximized the 40 ounce bag of chicken by getting to meals of kabobs (total 14 skewers), honey mustard crusted  baked chicken, and leftovers for sandwiches for DH's lunch.. 
  • Used up the last of one of the frozen bags of cheese from the 5 pound bag bought back in April. I still have a bag with about 1 1/2 pounds in the freezer.
  • DD2 brought home 13 cartons of 1/2 pint school milk from her school job on Thursday. While more than we could drink, we froze 6 cartons and we used in cereal, coffee, and I used to make myself chocolate pudding to nurse my throat. 
  • DD1 got very bit up this weekend paddle boarding and by evening fires. She took one of my Benadryl rather than having to stop and buy a full box for herself. I take so seldom that sharing the box made more sense. She sad she slept better Tuesday night so the antihistamine must have helped with some of the bite side effects. 
  • I'm not sure if this falls under time or resources, but it is sustainability of our church. We made a catch-up donation after DH was paid this past Friday (see below-money), and we set up automatic payments to ensure we meet our minimum donation goal. With not going to live church, setting up the on-line system made more sense and now is set-up for when we resume. I set up as a recurring payment, but we can alter any month and add targeted donations to any causes.. 
  • My older daughter had self published two of her photography and  poem collections into sleek and beautiful booklets. All proceeds are pledged to organizations that support mental health. She made two donations last week from her return so far.  This was a project of self love she took on in the early days of the Stay at Home, putting dozens of hours into organizing poems and photographs inspired by her travels and her journey in maintaining her own mental health. If anyone would like to order, send me a private message and I'll send you the link samandcoffee65@gmail.com

Money

  • I am still struggling with the AdSense. I had turned it off, but apparently it still shows. I'll keep working on that. Thank you for your patience. 
  • DH's first check was more normal. We were able to pay all the bills with just what was left from last month and his check and actually made a significant  deposit in our savings account. 
  • I earned another $5 Target card through the Microsoft Rewards program. That's a goal for the month met too.
  • DD2  has officially met her savings target for studying abroad, airfare and the tuition increase for two semesters. While at this point, I doubt travel will be allowed early enough for fall 2021, she likely will only have the one chance, spring 2022. She could do smaller exploratory trips. Additionally, anything she now earns going forward, she can put towards grad school, to launch after graduation, or both.She has 7 more weeks of work this summer, plus will work part time (a few hours as we prefer she do civic work and volunteer opportunities to build her resume), and can pick up hours when home on breaks.She has next summer and fall as well.I'm very proud of how hard she is working and saving, while being a very civically minded young adult giving time and some money to causes she feels need to be supported.  .
     I'll repeat from last week. Everything is in cycles, and things have to get better at some point. I am thankful that just three days after  having the outpatient procedure, other than a sore throat, I am just fine.I took advantage of the free Hallmark cards that were available upon request and I know where two will go, to both hospitals. The third should go to my husband who jumped in and got me where I needed to be. I guess I'll keep him around. Today would have been my sister and her husbands 37th wedding anniversary. I'm sure it will be a tough day for her, the first one since he passed away. I need to appreciate those in my life more and what they do for me. 











15 comments:

  1. Sam! I am so sorry. I must have missed your previous post while trying to beat the bureaucracy related with inheritance issues. I am so glad you are better now and you received the care you needed. Hope, you are feeling better and hoping this will never repeat itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your issues do not sound any more pleasant. I hope you got it resolved.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you feel fully recovered. Choking episodes scare ne, besides the pain afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really isn't a choking thing-hard to describe, just a closed pressure, lump pain.

      Delete
  3. Big hugs to you. Glad you are feeling better! Sounds like there were some good frugal options woven throughout your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read it back, I guess there was much more than I really thought was thrifty. I guess I'm developed a new definition for myself.

      Delete
  4. I think considering the circumstances, you had a great week. Way to go for your daughter!
    My DD just got hired for the summer, with the likelihood of continuing once school starts, at a local shop. I'm so proud of her.
    In other news, we have her friend staying with us for the school year, (long story) who I shall now refer to as Gir. Girl also got a job as a bus girl at a local place. I am met with a quandary, though. On Monday, they asked her to come in for training, and kept her 4 hours, but said it wouldn't be on the books. I told Girl before she went in that day that they were legally required to pay her for training. When Girl came back, she told me they told her she wouldn't be on the books until after her first shift, and that first day they weren't really training her at tables, only showing her where everything was, how to stack glasses and load the dishwasher. She said she didn't argue because she really wanted the job. I pointed out that was what they wanted to happen. She asked me not to pursue it, because it would make her feel awkward, and I will honor that, but you can bet I am going to tell everybody I know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will she be a senior, did you say? Wow, that is a lot having another young person in your home. Yes, the restaurant is taking advantage of her naivety and it is an illegal practice-wage theft. I know businesses are hurting, but keeping money form their employees for work done is low.

      Delete
    2. She is a senior. Girl was a neighbor, and she and DD have been friends since kindergarten. Actually, she's the youngest in the family, and all the girls in that family have been friends with my kids. Mother is in a bit of a jam, so we stepped up. This particular girl is actually a delight. Her mother, on the other hand, needs a long overdue swift kick in the behind. Girl's older sister was here for a bit the other day, when I said something to Girl. Older sister said, "You see, Girl, that's the sort of thing we should have been hearing growing up!"
      I have told absolutely everybody in our little enclave about the practice at this restaurant. I am livid.

      Delete
  5. That is a aggravation but you are okay and that is a good thing. Sam plans God laughs should be your motto. I would tell the hospital that you need a break on those bills, just the fact that you have insurance should be enough for them. Complain, ask them to come down to what you insurance pays. In these times it does not hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my little plans are significant enough for him to laugh at! We'll see what happens when the bills come-it's the amount out of pocket that will be the question, and which level of deductible is applied. I will definitely pursue though.

      Delete
  6. What a scary experience for you SAM. I'm so relieved to hear that you are okay now other than the sore throat.
    You're all doing well with your achievements so far this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scarlet. I guess I did have more successes than I first thought about. Now hopefully, this bill doesn't set us backwards too much.

      Delete
  7. I have been blogging on and off since 2010 with various different blogs, I still haven't worked out Adsense either, even despite having a little bit of earnings from it a few years ago. Still don't know how I did it. But I keep learning, I guess that is the best thing to do.

    https://www.dreamcashe.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Sarah. I'll be reading your blog so thanks fo the link. AdSense is a funny tool-or else I just do not understand it well enough.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.