Sunday, August 16, 2020

Happy 80th Birthday!

     My mother-in-law is 80 years old today. I hope she enjoys the day spent with her family, even if it will be odd with half of us practicing social distancing. I've not always had an easy relationship with her, knowing she had ideas of a different type of person for her son, but fortunately it has not been a bad relationship. We are about as different as chalk and cheese, and our priorities in so many things are vastly different. She would never leave her house without full make up, nails done, jewelry, and impeccable dress. Even at the lake she coordinates her look. I never had the time when raising my kids while working full time to try and  meet those kinds of  presentation standards, and now, I just don't care enough. I don't like people just showing up at my door, and yet, she likes to do that to me. She finds me unwelcoming and I find her intrusive-two sides of a coin, two interpretations of the same situation. She also is a master of the back handed compliment, and finds ways to criticize by then saying she was just trying to help. Still, we share a love of family, of the importance of faith, and the desire to help those around us be happy. 

     How to describe her 80 years? She's the oldest of five, with a younger brother, and three sisters, raised in a small Wisconsin town by a very strict father and the sweetest woman imaginable. ( I only grew up with one grandparent, who died when I was 12 so marrying my husband and getting two sets of grandparents was  a wonderful bonus.) She went to work right out of highschool, meeting my  father-in-law at 19, married a year later, and my husband was born the year after that. While probably not easy, they financially  got on their feet early, owning a house at age 22, and the the original cabin, just four years later. They moved out of the city, but still owned their St Paul home with three kids, and my  brother-in-law, the youngest, was born in the town she still lives in, as do we.  She never worked outside of the home after  my husband was born, that alone a vast difference in our lives. Even after all kids were grown and out of the house, her life filled with her civic and church groups, coffee and card clubs, she never had an interest in working outside the home. There is probably a lot more to her than I know,  though I feel we have had a very  surface only relationship. 

     While she had what most people would describe as a very comfortable life, filled with travel, a busy social calendar, and lack of want for any luxuries, she had had profound sadness as well.  Shortly after I met my husband, his grandma, my MIL's mom, had a stroke, at just  73, followed by several more until she was confined to a nursing home. This was very hard on my MIL, to see her sweet mother slow down so much. Then, a winter accident caused by black ice, left my sister-in-law in a coma for five months, then passing away at just 27, leaving a two year old son behind. Her mom passed away  three years later, devastating her father, who's health declined rapidly there after. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2001, and slowly she lost her father, until he physically passed away in  2004. 

     After finally convincing her husband to slow down and retire after a decade of poor health, she and my father-in-law had a good 14 years  of nearly day to day togetherness. It was time filled at their cabin, wintering in Arizona, going  on cruises, to Norway, to England, and time together before he died in March 2015 at 74. She keeps as busy as she ever was with all her clubs, though in recent years has lost more and more friends and good acquaintances. She still loves to travel, so the  Stay at home has been hard for her that way. Since my FIL passed, she has gone on a four  cruises, one of which was for six weeks to New Zealand, and one through the Panama Canal. In 2017, she took all of her family with her on an Alaskan Cruise. She has been to Ireland, and  bus tours to Nova Scotia. Now, she has  her three remaining children, 12 grandchildren, and one great grandson. She has all her siblings still, but a family feud caused by her sisters brother over the shared cabin that used to be her parents, has caused a lot of strife. I feel bad for her about this as it is the dumbest feud ever, and has ruined  decades of  fun shared extended family time. 

     I hope today is special for her. My sister-in-law arranged for us all to write a total of 80 stories or memories, that will be put in a box for her to open and read over the coming year. We have a word  art designed for her, and will have mini bundt cakes, individual ice cream cups, I'm bringing flowers and DH is bringing balloons. I hope we get phone reception and DS can call. My nephew, the one that was two when his now 26, most likely won't be there. He rarely is part of the family events as his dad remarried and had two more children and loads of cousins on both his parents side. They all visit and talk to my MIL and she considers his brother and sister her grandchildren as well. We all have a friendly relationship with them, but her being closer to her late daughters husbands second wife than me (her words once to my husband when he called his parents out on something), shows how little we connect.

     So there you have it. My blog post that probably did not do justice to her life. I wish her many more years of happiness, and  lord willing, next year we can really celebrate her 81st year. 

23 comments:

  1. Happy 80th to your mother in law. I appreciate that you are able to celebrate who she is, despite being so different from you. That says a lot about you as a person :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. I never had a MIL- she died before I met my husband but I really try to be a good MIL and respect the boundaries. In fact, my kids all say I never call them and they have to call me. I keep busy with my job- I was a SAHM like your MIL for 31 years but now I enjoy working. It would probably be different if I hadn't been widowed so young (47). Hope you enjoy the party.

      Delete
    2. She is a good person and I genuinely care about her. I just have learned how I do and don't want to be when I am a MIL.

      Delete
  2. Relationships with in-laws can be tough. My MIL passed away this week at the young age of 73. She and I had a good relationship I think. This may have been helped along with the fact that my husband and I, while having been together nearly 25 years, do not have any children. My MIL loved her family unconditionally and was an amazing cook and crafter. She spent quite a few weeks a year with us at our cottage. Her presence is missed.
    Enjoy your celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss. Even though I had the same rather cold, sometimes argumentative relationship with my FIL, I miss him and who he was is who he was! I think there can be love in a family even if we wouldn't intentionally pick some people to b our relatives.

      Delete
  3. You are a very generous person. I, too, hope she has a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that-I just can appreciate that people deserve to be treated respectfully and celebrated, when they are important to the people I love.

      Delete
  4. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all alike?
    At my MIL's most difficult, I settled myself down by reminding myself that when all was said and done, she loved my husband and my children. I learned a lot about what not to do as a MIL from her as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most definitely am getting lessons with most interactions-also lessons in how not to parent adult children as well. I think what saden me is that while I agree life would be dull if we were all alike, I've felt like differences are negatives to her, whether that be me, my husband, and my kids-and then my inner mama bear kicks in as well.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to her! She sounds like she had an easy life financially, but a sad one with all her family health problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too-definitely a case where money does snot buy the real thing sof value.

      Delete
  6. While you probably have to be civil to each other you don't have to love each other. You took her son away from her and I guess she had a hard time with that. Not your problem. Happy birthday MIL, I hope you learn to accept your children's choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my children are not being hurt, I will accept their choices in full, and be with them when life get tough. I don't know if I so much as took her son away, as I'm not overly fond of how he is often belittled in his family,as much as that his son blew his chance to marry up in life.

      Delete
  7. I have a similarly distant relationship with my MIL for the past 25 years. I'm not the daughter she would have loved - I'm far too distant, and she has outdated ideas of what a wife/daughter-in-law should be. She also is master of the backhanded compliment and passive-aggressive comments, which is really hard on my husband, as we are in a different town. He's constantly being held up to my no-good, redneck brother-in-law (who is penniless but lives in her town), even though my husband has a very successful career, no debt, a great marriage...none of that is enough for her if we don't see her. Sigh.

    You sound like you have a lot of patience. I hope your MIL has a good birthday.

    Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment, SAM. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described something so similar to my relationship only my redneck brother-n-law, who likes to claim he is a self made man despite being the little prince of the family, is affluent, and married ot the perfect daughter-in-law. I loved your blog and glad I found it! I need some color pops in my life. I'm glad you popped back over to mine.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to your MIL. I wish she knew what she is missing by not being closer to you. Relationships are like dance. Both people need to step forward and step back to the rhythm of the music. If everyone wants their own way, relationships are harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not bothered by not being close to her, just because we beema related. I just would like to be respected a bit more, and understood that our family has different priorities than she had-neither of which are better of worse.

      Delete
  9. that was a fine tribute; thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's just my interpretation of her story, so probably one part fiction.

      Delete
  10. What a fascinating woman and a really interesting post to read.
    I'm impressed that despite losing her husband she continues to make the best of her life, not wallowing in self pity but going out and travelling.
    Despite your differences you've kept it classy, no mud slinging or unpleasantness,what a fine woman you are. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I genuinely do appreciate her-we're just different. She's not a monster-in-law by any shape of the imagination. I just appreciate her more with small amounts of time spent together.

      Delete
  11. I hope your mother in law enjoyed her birthday.
    My mother in law hated me before she met me. She was an inverted snob and didn't like that I lived in a more affluent area. I was 16 at the time and had no choice about where I lived. She was ambivalent about my husband and our daughters. It took a long time for the scales to fall from my husband's eyes. As her mind went, she didn't recognise my husband when he visited her in hospital, and told him that John had never fitted in and wasn't like them. He is John. He didnt fit in because he got engaged, then married, then had children, moved away from the area he came from and never brought any trouble to her door. If he had been like them, and fitted in, I would never have married him. When she died other people's memories of her were very different to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate in that my MIL, while different from me, she isn't mean, just a bit judgey and opinionated where it wasn't asked for. She just has ideas of what is ideal, and her son didn't quite fit that mode, and she had hoped I think that he would marry up socially. As I developed a more vocal response to things that I found didn't work for my family rather than just going along with whatever was told to us, the clashes started-about 10 years into our marriage. There were a fe times they got very strained, but we got through them. I think I have been a very good daughter in law, and while not her favorite, I think she might appreciate me, if not truly respect me.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.