Friday, August 14, 2020

How I Spend-Log for August 7-13

     If spending summaries are not your thing, here is notice to scroll on by and my feelings will not be hurt. This is more an exercise for myself and I'm  inviting anyone that might be interested to peek in. This log goes Friday, August 7 to Thursday, August 13. As a reminder, this is our variable expenses that we might be able to control better or differently. It does not include long term retirement accounts, gifts or spending we might do to help family, charitable contributions, or our daughters college costs as these are fixed or a unique to us priority, and not useful to share with others. Our household at least through August 24th is myself, my husband, and our 19 year old daughter, plus one little scruffy dog.  My daughter's purchases are not tracked, though minimal, they are her responsibility. I may treat her to a tank of gas or a take out on occasion through, and those would fall in this log.

August 7-August 13 2020

Friday: My daughter and I went for a walk and decided  a treat would be nice. We ended up just walking to the grocery store on the other side of the park. I bought a 6 pack of the  filled ice cream cones to take home and she also got a Kombucha. There's three cones left for another day after we each had one at home. Total: H&G $8.00 

Saturday:  DH's clothes were getting pretty worn and the college kid and I needed new bras. We were able to layer sales, clearance, discounts on menswear, back to school and lingerie, plus a 30% off code and spent $142 on a huge clothing haul. Included was also two pairs of very low cost jeans for DD2 which she would have rather thrifted, but hard to do right now. Clothes are supposed to be her expense, but with the $10 back to school discounts and pushing it to the next $50 increment to earn in total $30 Kohls cash, they were practically free. Purchased: DH, new work shoes, two pairs chinos, three button down shirts; DD2, two pairs jeans, bra; me, two bras. Added to this was  a couple hoodies for my niece and nephew for their birthdays later in the month. Total: Clothing $143

Sunday:  No spend day! 
Total: $0

Monday: As it was DH's birthday, but I had n chance to leave my "office" I did a quick change of menu on the fly and overspent in the grocery store. I sepnet $26 on dinner, plus another $17 on I have no idea! I also bought a DQ Blizzard cake and a Dairy Free dilly bar for DD1, totalling $18.60. I will say though, for $26, DH got surf and turf with salmon and stuffed bacon wrapped chicken, baby potatoes, salad, and french bread. He was very pleased and a lot cheaper than eating out for the four of us. (DD2 ate a veggie burger form my freezer but other sides were vegan) I also bought a bunch of greeting cards, wrapping paper, bows, and stickers for DD2 to use with her child care kids, and treats for DHS, but I'm not tracking gifts. Total: H&G $61.60

Tuesday: No spend day again; number two for the week Total: $0

Wednesday: Good thing I had a couple no spend days because I completely blew up the spending today. I did a massive shop at Aldi, and I mean Massive. $196.94 on groceries and $15.10 on two tote bins for DD2. Granted, we were completely out of several things lik  peanut butter, cooking oil, and low on flour and sugar. I bought a few things to ward off take out like one of the Aldi pizza's and the Gyro kit, as well as I bought the Red Bag chicken, which we've never tired but the Aldi Nerds go crazy about. I also stocked up on a lot of canned goods and bought more meat than I have bought in a long time. Here's the kicker though, I forgot bananas, a staple, so will need to stop again. I'm already at $469.74 for household and grocery, and take out. and as of Wednesday it was only August 12th. I must keep reminding myself this is all food, all household. I also play the little game in my head when I have lost all control of my budget early in the month by telling myself I am so stocked up, I'll need nothing more than  fresh  fruit and vegetables, milk, and bread before the end of the month.Maybe I can keep under $600?  Total: H&G $196.94 Miscellaneous $15.10

Thursday: The step stool I ordered for DD2 was shipped and showed up n our statement for $6.75 miscellaneous. Total: $6.75 miscellaneous

Total Spent for the week: 

Take Out: $0
H&G: $266.44
Clothing: $143.00
Car Expense:  
Entertainment: 
Miscellaneous: $21.75
Total: $431.19

     Had I not purchased clothes, much needed as they were, and hadn't gotten carried away at Aldi, it could have been a very low spend week. We hit the send button on our daughters tuition and room and board, hoping things stay safe for her and all on campus. As we lowered her meal plan we'll make sure to send not just snacks, but a few easy meals. Her and her friends plans were to have a couple "family dinner" nights,  since they have access to a kitchen on every floor. Rules now are only one person is allowed in the kitchen at a time and they have to have their own cookware instead of being able to check out from the front desk. I had gotten a very cheap set of basic dorm/college apartment cookware at Target a couple years back for $9, roughly the same cost as one of her meal swipes.  Even if the set is trashed at the end of the year it will have paid for itself. I write this as it will explain yet another grocery shop next week or the week after before we move her on 8/24. This ends another week of me logging what I spent. 


1 comment:

  1. We had a bag of the red bag chicken in the freezer when Son3 came into town. Now we are on bag number 3. He and DIL3 love it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.