Friday, August 14, 2020

Friday This and That

     I'm using Friday to post my spending log, but  more for me and the one or two of you that gave an apple. Whether a surprise or an annoyance, perhaps  dear readers will see two Friday posts from me-a sort of  This and That of life. There is still more to life than COVID, and more to my life than just work, though hard to see. 

What's top of mind: Thinking of the To Do list, mine and mostly my daughters of what needs to get organized before next Monday at 8:00 a.m. She literally has not sorted one box or items since all got dragged home in May. It'll get done-has to, but the disorganization drives me a little nutty. She isn't working the weekend before, so will have a couple full days, though lost her mornings next week as the school asked her to work 10:30-6:00 each day. 

It's my  MIL's 80th birthday on Sunday and we are having as socially a distanced event as can be managed. Tonight I have to put together the e-mails and memories into individually sealed  envelopes or tucked in cards. It feels like we just celebrated her 75th, but obviously five years ago, her first birthday after my FIL passed away. 

Where I'm going: I  have back to back Saturday and Sunday trips to the lake for a baby shower and then  the before mentioned birthday. I am making a quick stop at the farmers market tomorrow to get fresh flowers for my MIL. My big excitement for the week will be to get the bananas and garbage bags I forgot to buy. Living the dream. Two years ago today we spent the day i the Mont Martre neighborhood and visited Sacre Couer. Someday, again.  

What I'm watching: Don't judge me, but I started watching The Crown on Netflix. I know it is a highly fictionalized version of life in Buckingham Palace since shortly after World War II, but being the Anglophile tha tI am, I watch with my phone, pausing and looking up facts to compare with the show. Iv'e been watching for well over a week now, and while fascinating, let's just day it isn't exactly keeping me awake. The clothes though! 

I'm also caught up on the BBC Casualty and Holby City-both watched on Brit Box. Is anyone else a viewer? Anyone wan tot discuss storylines and characters with me? Who's annoyed with Fenisha not talking with Ethan? Who wants Cameron to just go away forever, and maybe take Nikki with him?

What I'm reading: I'm trying to diversify my blog reading a bit and am looking for suggestions. I have reread a couple books, but not really in the mood to start a new one. I'm also just starting to read a screen play, written by my daughter and her friend, based on the book her friend wrote and published in early spring. I am unfamiliar with screen pay format, but the start is fascinating to see the details that need to be considered differently when creating something that will be turned into a movie. 

What I'm listening to: I've been streaming BBC World Services, both the lie, and some of the recorded programs. Maybe it's just another filter, but I have to step away from US News. I'd love some recommendations for a few podcasts as well. 

What I'm eating: I'm cheating again and we're having the Aldi Gyro's for supper tonight. I think as a substitute for take out, they hit the mark really well. I'll make homemade  air fryer french fires as well, my favorite side to have. I need to make Tika Masala at least once more before DD2 leaves, but then it might be a while. It make sos much, and while she'll eat for several days after, I'd need to freeze so many portions as its not vegan, and DH still is not a fan. I'm enjoying my favorite sandwich-hummus, cucumber, tomato and cheese on a multi grain bread. There is no comparison to fresh produce this time of year. Dang my poor gardening skills. 

     I'm sure there are other "What's" in life I could add, so may expand over time. How would you respond to any of the categories? What's the this and that in your life?

10 comments:

  1. Kind of a slow Friday for me but I did accomplish a few things. Let your daughter do her own thing- I know it's hard and you raised 2 already but don't stress over her disorganization LOL. I made a Denver omelet this morning that serves 4 so guess I'll be eating that for breakfast the next 3 days. I'm really trying to watch my carbs and lose weight. Tonight will just be a salad with some leftover chicken and blue cheese dressing- I could just eat the dressing. I'm rereading Pachinko- it's really good and I think when I read it last year, I missed a lot. I've always been a speed reader and I'm trying NOT to do that now. I like British shows too and watch them mainly on PBS. If you donate, you get a passport and the entire season at once. Your weekend sounds busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken advantage of the PBS passport too. Yes, she'll need to get it done, though she leaves a trail of chaos.

      Delete
  2. Nothing fun for me this weekend, I'm afraid.
    I did a similar fact-checking-while-watching gig with "The Tudors." I highly recommend that series, historical inaccuracies aside. I keep going back to it. I also really enjoyed "The Royle Family" when it was on Netflix.
    I have watched all 3 seasons of "The Crown." I am fascinated by life in the U.S. and U.K. during and immediately following WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I popped in and out of the Tudors. I'm guessing Henry VIII looked nothing like Jonathon Rhys Myers.

      Delete
  3. I don't watch tv from Britain. Sounds interesting. Tonight, we had parmesan chicken, steamed vegetables, and grapes.
    At my age, 74, five years happens so quickly. Happy Birthday to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got really bored with same old Anerican stuff and bad acting, writing, etc.

      Delete
  4. Ha, I get tired of the British news so I've been watching CNN! I reckon I only do it because Trump still leaves me more and more slack-jawed every day. I used to like Doc Martin (but got fed up of that too a little). What I love though (and you can probably find it on Youtube) is Would I Lie to You and Mock the Week. They are both comedy quiz programmes and very clever. Lee Mack, David Mitchell and Dara O'Brien are just hilarious. As for books, oh my! So many books, not enough hands. I'm just reading the third in a series of 3 by "Aldous Pennyfarthing" (or something like that), called Dear F...ing Moron is the first I think. They are supposedly letters written to DT after every brain fart he posts on Twitter. It's not so much the letters that are funny but the chronology of Trump's rantings and how he contradicts himself that are just jaw-dropping. After that I'm off to read Stephen Fry's Mrs Fry's Diary. I found Fry's last book pompous so I hope this one is better because I really like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Would I Lie to You. Great recommendations on books. I'll be hunkered down more so if fall is cold. I am counting down to November 3. He just needs to go.

      Delete
  5. Also, I can't actually believe it's been two years since you were in France! Crikey, where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and memories of travel make me long to go. I can plan though!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.