Sunday, August 2, 2020

Meal Planning or Not: What we Ate

We have reached the end of another month, one that looked unsurprisingly like the previous. I think August will look similar as well, at least until the 24th when we are back to a household of two. Here was the list of possible meal items for the week. 

  •  Sausage apple and cheese balls using plain Aldi sausage instead of Jimmy Dean 1/2 recipe, sweet potato fries, and 
  • Homemade Gen Tso chicken, rice
  • Chicken and vegetable stir fry and rice and ramen
  • Chicken and rice hotdish with broccoli and cheese 
  • Penne pasta with chicken and Alfredo sauce 
  • Homemade pizza with vegetables and sausage 
  • Turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes
  • Burritos or burrito bowls
  • Petit sirloins, baked potatoes
    What we really had was this:

Sunday: Sweet corn, chicken patty or last of the cheddar brats
Monday: homemade chicken tenders and fries
Tuesday: Turkey meat loaf, macaroni and cheese, cucumber and tomato salad
Wednesday: Sausage apple and cheese balls , ramen noodles, corn biscuits DH and I liked these a lot. Our daughter was out with friends and tried one on Thursday-she was not a fan. 
Thursday: Take and Bake Pizza (don't ask-will share later in the week)
Friday:Leftover Take and Bake pizza, corn on the cob
Saturday: DD2 at work, we brought sandwiches to the lake

     Basically, we sort of winged it all week. Since we are at the lake today, DH is grilling country ribs for lunch. I have a pasta salad, garlic bread, and watermelon to go with it. We'll eat late and supper tonight will be a fend for yourself or maybe soup and sandwich if  hungry. DD2 of course is working. Winging it means a lot of ideas we didn't use, plus I shopped yesterday as I slowly restock our freezer with low cost meat while available and canned items in the pantry. 


  • Veggie Tika Masal (will Give DH leftover) and naan
  • Homemade Gen Tso chicken, rice
  • Chicken and vegetable stir fry and rice and ramen
  • Chicken and rice hotdish with broccoli and cheese 
  • Penne pasta with chicken and Alfredo sauce 
  • Homemade pizza with vegetables and sausage 
  • Burritos or burrito bowls
  • Petit sirloins, baked potatoes
     This would be a good week for no Take Out. If we brave Ikea for a couple items on Saturday for DD2, we may pick up their meatballs and lingonberry jelly, but I'd just call that groceries. We'll likely get corn again and other fresh vegetables which will be added to the main meals above. My daughter and I are still pretty much eating leftovers for lunch with the occasional sandwich or wrap. DH brings sandwiches or wraps daily with fruit. If you have ideas to shake up our menu, please give recommendations in the comments. 

8 comments:

  1. We are out of cheese here and I always feel like we need to do a grocery run when that happens. It's been over a month since we last bought some, so it's time. This week our meals will be using up what we have here and making do. We will do a Walmart pickup, but have them delivered to our home. I've never been to Ikea or had the meatballs, but they sound good. There are so many things you can do with meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a small fortune at the grocery store Saturday morning, local pricey one, and feel like we have no new groceries! I'll be making meals with what we have and trying to make sure I don't wate this week.

      Delete
  2. The sausage ball recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband I like them but our daughter not so much. She didn't like the sweet form the apple in the middle of a bite.

      Delete
  3. I found petite sirloins on sale for $3.99/lb. Needless to say, my freezer is a bit full of them. Poor us, having to eat steak so often. Yesterday found us at Costco, so dinner was, of course, a rotisserie chicken. Costco just wears me out. There are leftovers, so instead of a roast dinner, which we typically have on Sunday, I am planning on making chicken enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great price, though I am not much of a steak eater so I wouldn't be as exuberant. Enchiladas sounds delicious.

      Delete
  4. good for you for no take-out.
    I strive for such this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll aim for none most weeks while we try and shore up spending a bit.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.