Monday, August 3, 2020

Juiy Goals Recap and August for Spruce Up Monday

     I thought if I'm going to go through the time to set goals and write about them, I should probably come clean on success, progress, or fail. As you might remember, I started July off with a trip to my local ED and then up to the big city for an urgent throat procedure. I was a little wonky for a couple days, but really no excuse for how poorly I did on my July goals.The good thing is a new month has started so another opportunity to do things  right! Getting my life sorted with a sense of purpose and accomplishment is sort of like sprucing up. I think it fits this first Monday. Plus despite the unseasonably cool weather, we had a relaxing time at the lake and I slept well last night, so ready for my confession.


Health

  • As the weather has been steamy before this weekend, I have been shortening my walks with pup to just what he needs to do his business. My goal this month is to walk every morning within, at least 20-30 minutes prior to logging on for work-Maybe about 50% success in this. Mostly because the dog was just not wanting to get up before I logged in. Yes, I am blaming my lack of morning exercise on my dog.  
  • Take at least one of my two schedule flex days. Ideally, I should take both, but if my goal will be at least one. This did not happen, though I did log off four hours early one Friday. 
  • Cut my coffee consumption to not more than two cups per morning. The Keurig has been clogged, so I've been making pots, which has me drinking twice as much. Finally, one I can claim success! 

Organization

  • I have this crazy idea to make a crazy quilt, basic sewing of random squares of fabric. To make this economical, I want to purge a minimum of three items of clothing that is not fit to donate and cut into squares towards this eventual project. If I do this each month until January, that should give me a project for the cold dark evenings, while getting rid of stuff. I have not done any cutting, but I did tuck a shirt of DH's away and an old skirt of mine that will be used. 
  • Purge my linen closet and organize. Nope!
  • Decalcify the Keurig-see under health goals! I tried, but still clogged. 
  • Start a Christmas in July list-thinking now about how to make Christmas just as special or more so, in light of the state of the world and finances. This gives me another purpose for my 2020 planner. Made a few notes, but that is about it. 

Social/Fun

  • Play tennis at least one time per week No-sadly-no.
  • Build 2 nights (tennis can be one) activity into my calendar for evenings Sort of? At least I had some activities planned, though mostly it was the same as the previous few months. 
  • Get to the lake with DH at least twice this month (maybe swapping one of my flex day Fridays for his Thursday day off) We were up over 4th of July, and then again  a week later. DH's brothers family had attended a large sporting tournament, and we chose to quarantine form them so avoided being at the lake two weekends in a row. 
  • Schedule a walk with my mom's friends Yes, and drinks to boot!
  • Read at least one new to me book and author, plus a second book of my choice I read three books, but all a favorite author and read previously. 
  • Help with and attend a 60th birthday celebration (safely) for my sister. This is the sister that lost her husband in March. IT was a good night and she loved it. 

Money

  • Make final decision and act on the Roth investment for 2019 by July 15th We ended up not doing this. We made the decision, so technically a green, but I'm calling it yellow. I know-probably a financial error in the long run, but we made a difference decision with the some of the money earmarked that may have similar longer term benefit. Plus, tieing up  $13,000 in cash right now with so much unknown, was too nerve wracking. 
  • Help DD2 with her taxes by July 15 Well, DD2 helped her and she received $128 back.
  • Earn another Microsoft rewards gift. Also, try not to miss a day, as that loses me 150 points minimum. Do any other survey opportunities. I missed a few days, but still cashed in points for one and am very close to another. I also did another survey for a $5 Amazon reward. 
  • Inventory gift card balances-perhaps in conjunction with the Christmas in July planning. Nope, other than to know I have $50 in Target cards fro the MS Rewards. 
I didn't set out for these to be that life altering, just more sense of being intentional. I pretty much want to keep all these things on my list, bring them forward for August, plus a few new ones.

  • Health-Jump start with an international blogging buddy, Anna at Random Thoughts, to lose 40 pounds by Christmas. If I lose 1/4 of that goal I will consider it successful.  
  • Organization-Get all DD2's stuff resorted, packed, and either moved with her, purged, donated, or stored. Get the bike tired fixed-this can be in all four categories.
  • Social/Fun-Commit to taking time off work and lock in calendar for either a week in September or October. Our Las Vegas trip is looking more and more unlikely for November as I can't imagine either of us feeling comfortable enough to fly and other than take out or outside seating, aren't keen to eat in restaurants, which would have been part of our Vegas fun. The concert is out regardless-no way I am packing shoulder to shoulder with anyone not in my family.
  • Money- Finalize out of pocket medical and put in for  medical reimbursement

     Hopefully next month will be a sea of green when I recap. If you kept goals, what are you most satisfied with?

11 comments:

  1. Even though the plans were fluid, I am satisfied with plans to stock up. The freezer purchase helped with this. Plus, even though I can barely move for the pain i feel, I am very slowly moving things from one room to another. Both help my feeling of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your freezer sure wasa good buy for you-and al that produce and chicken.

      Delete
  2. I need to get more organized. I have slacked off, "due to covid 19..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work a lot, but I'mhome a lot-all the time. Ishould be able torganize better but failing so far.

      Delete
  3. No pressure there then! Ha, my weight has been up and down like a yoyo and I'm with you, if I even manage to lose 10 lbs by Christmas that would be a plus. But that's just silly because there are 5 months till Christmas. I logged on to myfitnesspal today for the first time in months and logged my food (I also walked for an hour) and at the end of the day they say "if every day for the next 5 weeks was like this one you would lose ...." - and it's telling me I would lose 8 lbs in 10 weeks if I keep this up. The math is good - it's just the "keep this up" that's not so easy isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know for me it is both what I eat and what I do. I know I need ot eat better and move more-so why if I know this, it is so darn hard!

      Delete
  4. I was debating going to Aldi today but I think I'll go next week and eat more of the food I have here- nothing great and I really wanted some ice cream, but this will be better for the waistline. Mom made a few crazy quilts- she really enjoyed sewing but I just can't any more- it 'kills' my back. I checked out my meat supply in the freezer- chicken drumsticks I don't really care for, sausage I don't like that well LOL, 2 pkgs of grass fed ground beef, a package of chicken breasts I love, and 1 package of thighs (not my favorite either). The meat I am not fond of was in my weekly produce/farm delivery. I think I'll get some cookbooks out and come up with a new menu. Maybe Thai or Chinese??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an additional refrigerator and freezer in garage but haven't used since we became a smaller household. I'm debating putting it to use again. You have a good attitude about the met you don't care for=perhaps new recipes will be a goo fix.

      Delete
  5. I need to get rid of a few pounds that have crept on, and was doing okay, but my mum is now in hospital with covid, so I know eating properly just isn't going to happen, and I'm now in isolation for 14 days as I took her into hospital. She had none of the listed symptoms, but neuro ones indicative of a stroke or tumour, but head scans are normal. It's difficult to get any information from the hospital, and we're not allowed to visit. Very stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried commenting on your post but was turned back for not being a member-sometimes I can and other times I can't. I am so sorry you have another thing to deal with, and of course more of the unknown. Hopefully your household will stay negative. Do you all need to quarantine or do you isolate from the other family members?

      Delete
    2. I've turned commenting off, that's why it will have happened.
      Me and J have to isolate because he dropped mum and I off at the hospital. Our daughter doesn't have to unless we show symptoms and has gone to work. We'll stay out of her way as much as possible and all wear masks when we can't. It's a nightmare. Still no information from the hospital ( I have to ring again later) just what mum has been able to remember and tell us in snatched conversations. She is not herself at all, and on oxygen.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.